Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well you just had a couple deal with it. 

Also a few years ago I bet that made you feel good, I wasn’t here then because if I was I probably wouldn’t be here now, mate I’m 59 not fucking 9 so don’t go laying your law down with me about your powers like your some fucking super hero, most of the people here didn’t join to be dictated to by dick heads who get off with a little bit of power fucking grow some. 

And if that gets me kicked off so be it I’d rather go with my pride in tacked than bow down to your shit. 

Thank you for listening do your best 

Steve hasn't said, or even implied, anything about you getting kicked off here. And there's been no 'laying down of the law'. Calm down.

All that he's saying is we, and other moderators over the years, have got TT running smoothly.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Yes exactly Steve why can’t I change the name of a topic when you can, and you do it without consulting the people that make the forum, call me a what ever you want but to me that’s an abuse of your powers, so don’t let it go to your head mate your no better than me even though you think you are. 

Well the whole point of the moderators is that they have powers that regular members don't, isn'tt it?

I tried to add some levity to the thread (the same way Shukes does in the thread by gently ribbing you) by giving a jokey title. It wasn't aimed at any individuals in the thread, so it's not calling anyone a weirdo. It's about the subject as a whole and where it's at. Nothing to do with myself, or anyone, seeing themselves as better than you. It's a shame you don't see it for what it is/was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Steve hasn't said, or even implied, anything about you getting kicked off here. And there's been no 'laying down of the law'. Calm down.

All that he's saying is we, and other moderators over the years, have got TT running smoothly.

Well the whole point of the moderators is that they have powers that regular members don't, isn'tttt it?

I tried to add some levity to the thread (the same way Shukes does in the thread by gently ribbing you) by giving a jokey title. It wasn't aimed at any individuals in the thread, so it's not calling anyone a weirdo. It's about the subject as a whole and where it's at. Nothing to do with myself, or anyone, seeing themselves as better than you. It's a shame you don't see it for what it is/was.

What ever mate, and tell SteveO for his information I’ve stuck £100.00 in the pot in the last year to 18months so he can fuck off with that personal attack.

 If you treat my like a cunt I act like a cunt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What ever mate, and tell SteveO for his information I’ve stuck £100.00 in the pot in the last year to 18months so he can fuck off with that personal attack.

 If you treat my like a cunt I act like a cunt. 

Steve has got eyes so I’m sure he’ll read this and I’ll not have to tell him anything. 

And to maybe put your mind at ease a bit I got in touch with the original author of the thread and they’re fine with the title change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What ever mate, and tell SteveO for his information I’ve stuck £100.00 in the pot in the last year to 18months so he can fuck off with that personal attack.

 If you treat my like a cunt I act like a cunt. 

It wasn’t a personal attack at all, it was explaining how this place has run for a very long time. Only Louis knows who puts money in the pot, so I would have no way of knowing. You need to chill out mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your all Wierdos, other than Palfy! Well all the admins at least! 

Maybe we should have two extra threads:

A frustration room ( mainly for me and Pad )

And a chill out room ( mainly for me and Pad )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as bailey hafnia myself and others mentioned in the matchday thread that pen was due to walcott selling him down the river with no support and a terrible giveaway.  gana got the ball, every analyst on my tv said clearly no pen, he got the ball, martial dove.  

 

still not a great match from gana, but he wasn't the worst out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

as bailey hafnia myself and others mentioned in the matchday thread that pen was due to walcott selling him down the river with no support and a terrible giveaway.  gana got the ball, every analyst on my tv said clearly no pen, he got the ball, martial dove.  

 

still not a great match from gana, but he wasn't the worst out there.

I thought it was a definite penalty and had no argument with it tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

as bailey hafnia myself and others mentioned in the matchday thread that pen was due to walcott selling him down the river with no support and a terrible giveaway.  gana got the ball, every analyst on my tv said clearly no pen, he got the ball, martial dove.  

 

still not a great match from gana, but he wasn't the worst out there.

Agree with this. Walcott was poor all match, probably our worst performer. He has pace to burn and could beat Shaw and Lindeloff but then, frustratingly, he made shocking decisions. He shot twice when he could have played Richarlison in for a tap in, he often over hit crosses and was dismal at tracking back. Coleman and Gueye were run ragged by his abscense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Very, very poor for the penalty today. 

Thought he’d done his job.

Coleman had pushed up with Theo, between them the lost the ball and countered quickly. Gana has filled the void ( in position ) and made a tackle. 

Is there similarity in what Niasse got a ban for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlucky to concede the pen as he got the ball. However stupid to put his foot in at that moment and give the ref the opportunity. Should have sorted out earlier or shadowed him away from goal. The latter applies to Smalling as well, but that was a stonewall penalty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Unlucky to concede the pen as he got the ball. However stupid to put his foot in at that moment and give the ref the opportunity. Should have sorted out earlier or shadowed him away from goal. The latter applies to Smalling as well, but that was a stonewall penalty. 

Fair play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I thought it was a definite penalty and had no argument with it tbh.

I can see the argument both ways. Still not sure if it should or shouldnt have been given. 

Either way his decisions to get him into the box and to even make the tackle were just pure Gana.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

 

Never in a million years was that a pen

No it wasn’t a pen but he’s come in from the side and just got his foot in the ref sees it as a pen which most people in real time thought it wasn’t till the replay and still some do. 

Unfortunately he’s prone to trying to make tackles with the wrong foot or while on wrong side, against the lesser teams he gets away with it but against the better teams he’s not in the game and his positioning and running looks more headless and his tackles become more desperate lunges. 

I didn’t see the game but from the posts I was reading during the game I could tell he was being out classed by better players, but the next game against Brighton he will look better because there poorer, and against say the shite and Spurs there be more shouts of get him off before he’s sent off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shukes said:

We’re debating this because again we’re trying to pick faults. But the camera doesn’t lie, he made a perfect tackle and was cheated out of it by a clear dive.

The fault lies on the officials shoulders, not the players. As for him being in that position on the first place.... who was he covering? Shouldnt they be to blame?

Yes to a degree you would ask what happened to the defence not very good by all accounts, but you could also argue everyone has a part to play when defending, rather than look for individuals to blame they need to do more work on the training field with coaches explaining what is required and what will not be excepted, and if you don’t learn your gone simples 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shukes said:

I agree, I just don’t rhibk this applies to this situation at all does it?

Didnt Gana get back to help his defence? Didn’t he push Martial onto the outside to make a steeper angle, just like coaches teach you? Didn’t he stay on his feet in the penalty area and nick the ball of the strikers foot perfectly?

This is my issue. He did everything right, but the official made a mistake.... an easy one to make as PeteO rightly pointed out, but a mistake nonetheless. And here we are again debating what Gana did wrong!

This 200%. If Gana hadn't put his foot in and Martial had danced through and scored, he'd be getting torn apart on this thread. So the lad can't win coz to some people his face doesn't fit, he absolutely did his job, made a great tackle to avert a goalscoring opportunity, and got screwed over by a shit refereeing decision. End of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nogs said:

This 200%. If Gana hadn't put his foot in and Martial had danced through and scored, he'd be getting torn apart on this thread. So the lad can't win coz to some people his face doesn't fit, he absolutely did his job, made a great tackle to avert a goalscoring opportunity, and got screwed over by a shit refereeing decision. End of. 

I’m a big fan of his really, but I think he should have just kept showing him down the line. Wasn’t a penalty as he won the ball, but didn’t need to make the challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nogs said:

I honestly don't get that argument Steve. Winning the ball justifies the challenge. 

Compare it to trying to make an incisive 30 yard through ball to put the striker through on goal. If the defender intercepts it, you can say well maybe he should have played a simpler pass and kept possession. But as soon as that ball reaches its target, its a great bit of play and the right decision. That's how I see making challenges in the box - it's the right decision if you can and do win the ball fairly, which Gana did. 

I get what you mean mate, and he did win the ball fairly, but in this day and age we know the forward will go down. They all do it. The refs fall for it every week. For me if the forward is running towards the byline, with his weaker foot facing the goal then show him out of play. The minute you make that challenge it’s 50/50 wether it’s a penalty, just don’t give the ref that decision to make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevO said:

I get what you mean mate, and he did win the ball fairly, but in this day and age we know the forward will go down. They all do it. The refs fall for it every week. For me if the forward is running towards the byline, with his weaker foot facing the goal then show him out of play. The minute you make that challenge it’s 50/50 wether it’s a penalty, just don’t give the ref that decision to make. 

So depressing that (but true). Make a perfect, well timed, perfectly judged tackle; watch the striker plainly fling himself to the floor after being tickled after said perfect tackle is made and it's 50/50. So wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeO said:

So depressing that (but true). Make a perfect, well timed, perfectly judged tackle; watch the striker plainly fling himself to the floor after being tickled after said perfect tackle is made and it's 50/50. So wrong.

It is Mike, this is why VAR needs to be sorted out. I would hope that once they do sort it the video ref just says “won the ball” and it’s done. Followed by a review of the dive and punished as required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Football is gonna end up the same as basketball the way it's going. 

The game is ready for VAR big time. It will put a stop to players cheating if they have so.ething to lose..

100%

i watched quite a bit of NBA on tv in the last few weeks in the states, was intrigued by the whole LeBron hype. They had way more contact than we have in football now. Their players run into the opposition, still get their shot off (and the points if they bag) and get the penalty to boot! Madness! Then football is an actual contact sport and can’t touch anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all the VAR enthusiasts just watch american sports they have it called video replay and the refs still get it wrong all the time.  my dad was just moaning the other day he wishes he had it like soccer, just make the call and the players live with it no replay, error is just considered part of the game.  hurts 10 times worse when they still get it wrong and reviewed it for 5 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

for all the VAR enthusiasts just watch american sports they have it called video replay and the refs still get it wrong all the time.  my dad was just moaning the other day he wishes he had it like soccer, just make the call and the players live with it no replay, error is just considered part of the game.  hurts 10 times worse when they still get it wrong and reviewed it for 5 minutes.

They get it right way more often then they get it wrong though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sibdane said:

They get it right way more often then they get it wrong though. 

the browns have lost  games this year due to bad calls.  all 3 were called wrong even though they had extensive replays.   the NFL admitted the refs got them wrong and fired one of the refs.  2 of those calls made them lose the game.  that's why i'm against VAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the browns have lost  games this year due to bad calls.  all 3 were called wrong even though they had extensive replays.   the NFL admitted the refs got them wrong and fired one of the refs.  2 of those calls made them lose the game.  that's why i'm against VAR. 

And I don't disagree they get them wrong from time-to-time. Just saying they get it right more often than not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StevO said:

I get what you mean mate, and he did win the ball fairly, but in this day and age we know the forward will go down. They all do it. The refs fall for it every week. For me if the forward is running towards the byline, with his weaker foot facing the goal then show him out of play. The minute you make that challenge it’s 50/50 wether it’s a penalty, just don’t give the ref that decision to make. 

You shouldn’t not do your job, and do it well, just because the officials continue to fail at doing their job. If you accommodate poor work, you encourage it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Matt said:

You shouldn’t not do your job, and do it well, just because the officials continue to fail at doing their job. If you accommodate poor work, you encourage it

Like StevO said, once Martial was in the box Gana's job was to show him down the line keeping him on his left foot. That tackle even if it never resulted in a pen would have got Gana a ticking off from the health and safety manager for being too high risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Like StevO said, once Martial was in the box Gana's job was to show him down the line keeping him on his left foot. That tackle even if it never resulted in a pen would have got Gana a ticking off from the health and safety manager for being too high risk. 

The tackle was made with the wrong foot, I'll grant you that. But he still won the ball and I'm not convinced if he'd made it with the other foot that Martial wouldn't have gone down anyway. The fault lies squarely on the officials for that decision, and I can't criticise Gana for using the wrong foot because he won the ball!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt said:

The tackle was made with the wrong foot, I'll grant you that. But he still won the ball and I'm not convinced if he'd made it with the other foot that Martial wouldn't have gone down anyway. The fault lies squarely on the officials for that decision, and I can't criticise Gana for using the wrong foot because he won the ball!

If you use the other foot you can see clear daylight (and possibly get more of a change in direction of the ball) whereas going wrong footed you're gonna be taking the ball and the man roughly at the same time and give the ref a 50/50 decision to make. And in a 50/50 situation as wrong as it is I think every referee would give that as a pen in favour of a top 6 team. 

He's won the ball though so it's tough luck. But I'd be very surprised if the coaching staff don't have a word in his ear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

for all the VAR enthusiasts just watch american sports they have it called video replay and the refs still get it wrong all the time.  my dad was just moaning the other day he wishes he had it like soccer, just make the call and the players live with it no replay, error is just considered part of the game.  hurts 10 times worse when they still get it wrong and reviewed it for 5 minutes.

I agree. Just look at the World Cup. Lots of poor VAR decisions.

I would also question whether this tackle would have been overturned. Ball still in play and the clear contact from Gana would have been deemed sufficiemt for Martial's swan dive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys... most commentin here haven’t played the game, only watched. 

Any player knows you dont set out to make a tackle and just go through with it, it often results in a penalty and sending off.You go with the man, show him the line, and if the opportunity comes... on either foot... you push the ball away. You take the opportunity when it arises. 

If not,  you usually end up letting the player get to the line and cut it back, which often results in a goal.

Gana played it as he should have. 

The day we stop tackling just in case the ref makes a mistake is the day that any slight touch becomes a foul. The correct thing to do is play the game as it should be, and make the refs learn from it. Make them responsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Guys... most commentin here haven’t played the game, only watched. 

Any player knows you dont set out to make a tackle and just go through with it, it often results in a penalty and sending off.You go with the man, show him the line, and if the opportunity comes... on either foot... you push the ball away. You take the opportunity when it arises. 

If not,  you usually end up letting the player get to the line and cut it back, which often results in a goal.

Gana played it as he should have. 

The day we stop tackling just in case the ref makes a mistake is the day that any slight touch becomes a foul. The correct thing to do is play the game as it should be, and make the refs learn from it. Make them responsible.

I would largely expect all high level coaching to recommend ushering the player out of play rather than making a tackle unless you can do so cleanly. I would also expect most coaches to suggest the defender tackles the player before they get into the box rather than wait until they are inside it and heading to the byline.

Defending a space is an equally good skill as making a tackle IMO. That might be because I am too slow to tackle and am much better at gettig my fat arse in the way 😁.

Interestingly I am just looking at the laws of the game and it makes no reference to winning the ball. Weirdly it talks about "attempting" to kick, trip an opponent carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force. Careless is then defined as the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution. As he wasnt cautioned it must have been defined as careless by the ref. 

Knowing Gana there was definitely a lack of attention and I doubt he considered what he was doing either! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Furthermore... Mike Dean on the Beeb

 

4 types of challenge. The two that involve this incident are a "correct tackle" wins the ball fairly and no impact on the opponent. 

The other type is listed as careless where "the player makes a legitimate attempt to win the ball attempt but either in their timing or the skill of the opponent, they foul the other player".

Food for thought but to me that means almost all tackles could be considered as fouls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Matt said:

You shouldn’t not do your job, and do it well, just because the officials continue to fail at doing their job. If you accommodate poor work, you encourage it

I know Matt, so what do you do? Keep making the challenge, win the ball but still give away the penalty? That’s what’s happening, the refs aren’t changing so got to cover yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Furthermore... Mike Dean on the Beeb

 

4 types of challenge. The two that involve this incident are a "correct tackle" wins the ball fairly and no impact on the opponent. 

The other type is listed as careless where "the player makes a legitimate attempt to win the ball attempt but either in their timing or the skill of the opponent, they foul the other player".

Food for thought but to me that means almost all tackles could be considered as fouls. 

Translates to “if they fancy giving it they will give it”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevO said:

I know Matt, so what do you do? Keep making the challenge, win the ball but still give away the penalty? That’s what’s happening, the refs aren’t changing so got to cover yourself. 

I keep doing my job to the best of my ability and complain strongly when I’m unfairly punished. If that doesn’t work, I escalate the issue up the chain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt said:

I keep doing my job to the best of my ability and complain strongly when I’m unfairly punished. If that doesn’t work, I escalate the issue up the chain 

So in this scenario the club could complain to the FA or the PMGOL but nothing will happen, this isn’t a new thing, it’s gone on for ages. Even when they tried to clamp down on diving only one club ever got punished, again unfairly, and that was us too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, StevO said:

So in this scenario the club could complain to the FA or the PMGOL but nothing will happen, this isn’t a new thing, it’s gone on for ages. Even when they tried to clamp down on diving only one club ever got punished, again unfairly, and that was us too. 

It shouldn’t be one club complaining though, there should be a general approach because all clubs get screwed by these bad decisions and the clubs should pressure the authorities until there’s an improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bailey said:

Furthermore... Mike Dean on the Beeb

 

4 types of challenge. The two that involve this incident are a "correct tackle" wins the ball fairly and no impact on the opponent. 

The other type is listed as careless where "the player makes a legitimate attempt to win the ball attempt but either in their timing or the skill of the opponent, they foul the other player".

Food for thought but to me that means almost all tackles could be considered as fouls. 

This is the reason I have issue with the Gana criticism. 

He didn’t even make a tackle, he nicked the ball away, then Martial dived. It wasn’t reckless in any way. 

Good debate about the coaching. Going to the byline is a dangerous option. Your praying you can usher them out, but if not,, the ball is pulled back away from the keeper past defenders who are on the back foot and easy for players running onto the ball. 

In fact, attackers are taught just that. Try to get to the byline, pull the ball back.... easy tap in or hard to defend. 

Wevare talking another level here though, more intricacies of the game then general coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matt said:

It shouldn’t be one club complaining though, there should be a general approach because all clubs get screwed by these bad decisions and the clubs should pressure the authorities until there’s an improvement. 

Or roll over and have your belly tickled to make everything ok.... the equivalent of not tackling just in case the officials male a mistake.

Got to keep playing to the game, not the officials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Get VAR in.  It takes away the excuse that the ref didn't get a clear view. The VAR ref is then at least accountable by not having that excuse.  

Remove the excuses for bad decisions and replace with accountability and punishment for deception. 

Good point! 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

This is the reason I have issue with the Gana criticism. 

He didn’t even make a tackle, he nicked the ball away, then Martial dived. It wasn’t reckless in any way. 

Good debate about the coaching. Going to the byline is a dangerous option. Your praying you can usher them out, but if not,, the ball is pulled back away from the keeper past defenders who are on the back foot and easy for players running onto the ball. 

In fact, attackers are taught just that. Try to get to the byline, pull the ball back.... easy tap in or hard to defend. 

Wevare talking another level here though, more intricacies of the game then general coaching.

He does touch the ball but he does also make contact with Martial which when compared to every game across the league was more than enough for a ref to give a foul. Its then the interpretation as to whether Gana was careless in making that contact regardless of whether he wins the ball. I think good arguments can be made both ways.

Inside the penalty area you should only take the risk of winning the ball if you can do so cleanly. Making contact with the other player and not having clear control of the ball is not clear. I get your point about the byline but the defender just has to make sure they are close enough to make the block. Make the attacker make the pass, dont give them the option of getting the penalty. Certainly dont let them into the box before engaging. Gana is really good at shadowing players, I would be almost certain that he would have blocked the cross and even if he didnt he has teammates behind him who if doing their job can also stop the ball going into the back of the net. The goal may still be scored but there is a lot more to do to score that way rather than give the penalty away. 

Anyway its all opinions 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry mate I do t agree with your opening sentence at all. 

Gana makes contact, but it’s fairie contact at best. If that’s enough to topple a player, then said player shouldn’t be playing sports. Saying that,..... Martial proves my point. He takes another step then HAS to throw himself into a dive because the contact was nowehere near enough to take him down. 

In football that I play and watch... 7/10 stay on their feet.... because they are too embarrassed to go down. 

Again, Gana DID win the ball cleanly... Martial cheated, the official got it wrong. 

Question. Did Gana slide in recklessly? Did he slide in at all, in any way? Did he just randomly throw a leg out?

I have played football at Sunday league level when I was 16 years old. I then stepped up to county league and followed into the midlands premier at semi pro. Never ever, ever let a forward get to the byline and play the ball back. If you see an opportunity to take the ball away from goal.... take it. 

Now addmitedly this is not at a professional level in any way. But surely the higher you get, the better you become? You should never be afraid of making a tackle just incase. 

Setting up not to fail has always and always will be,  preparing to fail. Footballers should always be confident in their own ability. Mistakes happen through carears, but not in this case with the player.

I agree that he should never have been allowed to get into that position in the first place, but where were the defenders at this point? 

Opinions are just that agreed. But playing against a simulated skilled opponent, I would fancy myself 65/35 against any defender when dealing with a ball cut back. Defender is running towards the ball and has to, stop, change direction and then get to the ball. I only have to keep going the way I’m already running.

Haha Bailey, maybe me and you together would make a great coaching team for young kids 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/11/2018 at 15:01, Shukes said:

Sorry mate I do t agree with your opening sentence at all. 

Gana makes contact, but it’s fairie contact at best. If that’s enough to topple a player, then said player shouldn’t be playing sports. Saying that,..... Martial proves my point. He takes another step then HAS to throw himself into a dive because the contact was nowehere near enough to take him down. 

In football that I play and watch... 7/10 stay on their feet.... because they are too embarrassed to go down. 

Again, Gana DID win the ball cleanly... Martial cheated, the official got it wrong. 

Question. Did Gana slide in recklessly? Did he slide in at all, in any way? Did he just randomly throw a leg out?

I have played football at Sunday league level when I was 16 years old. I then stepped up to county league and followed into the midlands premier at semi pro. Never ever, ever let a forward get to the byline and play the ball back. If you see an opportunity to take the ball away from goal.... take it. 

Now addmitedly this is not at a professional level in any way. But surely the higher you get, the better you become? You should never be afraid of making a tackle just incase. 

Setting up not to fail has always and always will be,  preparing to fail. Footballers should always be confident in their own ability. Mistakes happen through carears, but not in this case with the player.

I agree that he should never have been allowed to get into that position in the first place, but where were the defenders at this point? 

Opinions are just that agreed. But playing against a simulated skilled opponent, I would fancy myself 65/35 against any defender when dealing with a ball cut back. Defender is running towards the ball and has to, stop, change direction and then get to the ball. I only have to keep going the way I’m already running.

Haha Bailey, maybe me and you together would make a great coaching team for young kids 😉 

Your point is proven from a physical perspective but we all know that doesnt matter in todays game. Whether they could or couldnt have stayed on their feet is irrelevant now.

I would argue that if he makes contact with the player it isnt clean. Which is supported by the rules of the game and their interpretation of a senior referree.

I agree about being confident but at the same time players need to minimise risk. Gana effectively went for glory instead of being patient. Much like when a striker takes a first time shot when they have time and space instead of taking a touch and steadying themselves. 

The defenders were out of position because Theo lost the ball when Seamus was ahead of him. Gana was doing his job in covering the full back spot.

Interestingly I would fancy my chances 90+% against a player trying to go down the line because the touch line is like a second defender. Maybe that is what influences our thinking 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Brilliant performance yet again.  He must be getting close to Scott gemmill or mark pembridge levels now?  

No he isn’t Haf I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, l new he would look good against Brighton and he I said he would have to prove he’s the real deal against Utd and he didn’t you could visibly see he was out played by better players, and I feel the same will happen against Chelsea he will be out classed and look average, for this club to move forward we need players who can complete against the bigger clubs. 

Now that’s not having a pop at him for the sake of it to me that’s just the reality of the situation he’s not in their league, now Gomes is he matched the Utd players and had a good game I believe he will match the Chelsea players and have a good game, Gana won’t but next week will prove me right or wrong let’s wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

No he isn’t Haf I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, l new he would look good against Brighton and he I said he would have to prove he’s the real deal against Utd and he didn’t you could visibly see he was out played by better players, and I feel the same will happen against Chelsea he will be out classed and look average, for this club to move forward we need players who can complete against the bigger clubs. 

Now that’s not having a pop at him for the sake of it to me that’s just the reality of the situation he’s not in their league, now Gomes is he matched the Utd players and had a good game I believe he will match the Chelsea players and have a good game, Gana won’t but next week will prove me right or wrong let’s wait and see. 

FFS Palfy, stop being so pessimistic please, were improving as a team throughout, every player makes a mistake in every game, as we improve and become more confident the mistakes will become less glaring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...