IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

I watched it mate and it was a deflected goal. Couldn’t have been deflected if he hadnt shot though. 

He played well. Not the showing up you may have been expecting 😉

But not his goal as you stated, and your right mate not what I expected credit where credits due he played well and hardly gave the ball away, if he can come back and play like that for us then great 👍

I’m neither a great fan of Gana, nor a harsh critic.  For me, he’s an effective disruptor but not a dependable passer or scorer.

However, his strange lack of movement on the Colombia goal looked poor to me.  I hope someone will look at that goal on highlights and tell me I’m wrong.  Gana was on near post and literally did not move as the header by the Colombia player crossed the goaline halfway betwenn him and the goalie.  He did not move.

12 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I’m neither a great fan of Gana, nor a harsh critic.  For me, he’s an effective disruptor but not a dependable passer or scorer.

However, his strange lack of movement on the Colombia goal looked poor to me.  I hope someone will look at that goal on highlights and tell me I’m wrong.  Gana was on near post and literally did not move as the header by the Colombia player crossed the goaline halfway betwenn him and the goalie.  He did not move.

I think it just came too quick for him to respond and really it was in the space of the GK -- I don't think Gana could've done anything about it.

20 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He was leaning against the post having a chill... not good. 

Thats the impression I got as well. 

Generally I wasnt impressed as he was pressing and leaving loads of space behind him however I think a lot of that was to do with the teams tactics. Knowing how Gana plays though, it might not be!

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

He was leaning against the post having a chill... not good. 

He was on the post ready to clear if it came at him; it didn't, happened far too fast for him to react and was the 'keeper's to go for anyway, it was in his zone. If he'd shifted across he'd have potentially impeded his 'keeper and would have looked very stupid had it gone in by the post he was covering.

50 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He was on the post ready to clear if it came at him; it didn't, happened far too fast for him to react and was the 'keeper's to go for anyway, it was in his zone. If he'd shifted across he'd have potentially impeded his 'keeper and would have looked very stupid had it gone in by the post he was covering.

I want to really believe it wasn't for him to sort but.... I can't.  He wasn't even on his feet balanced to react.  Yeah keeper is an element of it but not good from gana. 

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I want to really believe it wasn't for him to sort but.... I can't.  He wasn't even on his feet balanced to react.  Yeah keeper is an element of it but not good from gana. 

I disagree, he'd have needed the reaction time of Usain Bolt out of the blocks and the foresight of Mystic Meg to get close to it. Yeah he was caught flat footed but that can happen when you have a fraction of a second to react.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

I disagree, he'd have needed the reaction time of Usain Bolt out of the blocks and the foresight of Mystic Meg to get close to it. Yeah he was caught flat footed but that can happen when you have a fraction of a second to react.

Or when you've got flat feet😁

5 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Just watched it again and Gana looks like he is about to take a nap on that post! 

Not going to argue all night, just imo fuck all he could've done; Roger Federer looks stupid on a tennis court from time to time, it happens.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Just a really great header! Headed down as your aleays taught to do. Not a lot goalie or Gana could do. If you have to dish out blame It’s with the defender losing his man. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have been fairly critical of him in the past but you cant really knock what he did yesyerday.

You have indeed Bailey and I respect your opinion on him (even if I've not agreed with it); it just confuses me when you can see he had a good game and say it while Pete (and Palfy had he not been at a wedding) can't see beyond their preconceptions, it's like they want him to be bad to prove they're right rather than wanting him to be good for the benefit of the club. Baffles me.

Haf/Lukaku/elephant/room;).

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have been fairly critical of him in the past but you cant really knock what he did yesyerday. If he can do that week in week out this season he would have had a very good year.

I think it's fair enough to be critical but it's a different level to constantly lambast and blame.

If everyone does there job, Gana can concentrate on his instead of having to run all over to plug holes.

And, yeah, competition for places. Never a bad thing. The best will always step up a level.

44 minutes ago, MikeO said:

You have indeed Bailey and I respect your opinion on him (even if I've not agreed with it); it just confuses me when you can see he had a good game and say it while Pete (and Palfy had he not been at a wedding) can't see beyond their preconceptions, it's like they want him to be bad to prove they're right rather than wanting him to be good for the benefit of the club. Baffles me.

Haf/Lukaku/elephant/room;).

Ah hem.... I never let my annoyance of the lads hype, lack of loyalty to us and general poor levels of standard footballing ability get in the way of the fact that he was a very good finisher and athlete.   My opinions of him stand up this very day- as showcased today for the mancs where he looks like he's got very cosy and complacent after 1 year. 

I always want Everton to do well but when you watch a player serve his own interests before the team makes it very difficult indeed to feel complete euphoria. Trying to steal goals off players - not celebrating other players goals, sulking .... fucks me off. 

The shite about gana is off the scale - what he does do well doesn't even get recognised.