IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

He plays an 'undecorated' position though.

There will be a fair few no name players who did well last season but all eyes were on Leicester City.

If Koeman and Walsh say he's good enough, with their pretty impressive track record, you have to put some faith there.

He plays an 'undecorated' position though.

There will be a fair few no name players who did well last season but all eyes were on Leicester City.

If Koeman and Walsh say he's good enough, with their pretty impressive track record, you have to put some faith there.

There's plenty of known players who play that position there's no such thing as an undecorated position.

I just hope that he can pass forward as well as defend and do what he does best. The problem with our current midfielders is they're all too 'safe'. I'm sick of the sideways passing Martinez developed and I'm bored of McCarthy, Besic, Barry, Cleverley and Gibson (to be fair Gibson is the best out of them at actually setting up attacks but he's always injured). We definitely need one more in there and then we can offload 2 if not 3 of the others. I've been so disappointed in McCarthy lately that I wouldn't be fussed if he left. I think the novelty is starting to wear off with Besic as well. He's not that good on the ball and we need more than his aggression in midfield if we're actually thinking of doing something this season. Will be very interesting to see what Koeman thinks of our midfielders.

Try telling that to Paul Pogba who does the same job, Matic, Witsel, Carvalho?

Without researching it, be honest (and I know you're an honest bloke!)...in the premiership last season, can you name as many DM's as you can attackers for each team? I bet you knew who Villas attacker was but you never heard of this guy?!

I mean, it's easy naming the most known names in European football (although I didn't realise Pogba was a DM, always thought he was more attacking???), but how much attention is paid to the dirty dogs in DM as opposed to the goalscorer or skillful attacking player? You don't tune in to a highlights programme and see loads of interceptions from a DM, or the 'boring' clean up work that they do. It's just less attractive. It doesn't 'sell'. The DM is the fat bird where as the attacker is the pretty slim bird...which one sells more bikinis?!!!

In my view, or opinion, a DM is on a par with a GK. They only get credited when they are either exceptional or have an outstanding game.

There's plenty of people out there who just don't get what a DM does. Proof is on this forum alone.

I might have this one totally wrong!!!

I just hope that he can pass forward as well as defend and do what he does best. The problem with our current midfielders is they're all too 'safe'. I'm sick of the sideways passing Martinez developed and I'm bored of McCarthy, Besic, Barry, Cleverley and Gibson (to be fair Gibson is the best out of them at actually setting up attacks but he's always injured). We definitely need one more in there and then we can offload 2 if not 3 of the others. I've been so disappointed in McCarthy lately that I wouldn't be fussed if he left. I think the novelty is starting to wear off with Besic as well. He's not that good on the ball and we need more than his aggression in midfield if we're actually thinking of doing something this season. Will be very interesting to see what Koeman thinks of our midfielders.

I stopped reading where the text goes bold.

I stopped reading where the text goes bold.

In terms of actually using the ball, Gibson is by far the best out of those. Is he the best player? Probably not but Gibson can actually pass forward and set up attacks. Doesn't mean I want him to stay but we need to get rid of most of our centre midfielders as I don't think they offer much apart from running around.

Agree with that Geth he has the best range and vision from our current crop

A fit healthy and level headed Gibson with games under his belt would start most games for a fair few decent sides sadly that's a rarity and unlikely to happen

Not a player I wanted to see given a contract extension nor one I want to see start most games but if he keeps himself fit he'll be a useful squad player

Agree with that Geth he has the best range and vision from our current crop

A fit healthy and level headed Gibson with games under his belt would start most games for a fair few decent sides sadly that's a rarity and unlikely to happen

Not a player I wanted to see given a contract extension nor one I want to see start most games but if he keeps himself fit he'll be a useful squad player

An oxymoron?

Without researching it, be honest (and I know you're an honest bloke!)...in the premiership last season, can you name as many DM's as you can attackers for each team? I bet you knew who Villas attacker was but you never heard of this guy?!

I mean, it's easy naming the most known names in European football (although I didn't realise Pogba was a DM, always thought he was more attacking???), but how much attention is paid to the dirty dogs in DM as opposed to the goalscorer or skillful attacking player? You don't tune in to a highlights programme and see loads of interceptions from a DM, or the 'boring' clean up work that they do. It's just less attractive. It doesn't 'sell'. The DM is the fat bird where as the attacker is the pretty slim bird...which one sells more bikinis?!!!

In my view, or opinion, a DM is on a par with a GK. They only get credited when they are either exceptional or have an outstanding game.

There's plenty of people out there who just don't get what a DM does. Proof is on this forum alone.

I might have this one totally wrong!!!

I disagree mate, if a player isgood enough he is high profile eneogh regardless of where he plays. Position means nothing. If the player is good he'll be known it's that simple.

I disagree mate, if a player isgood enough he is high profile eneogh regardless of where he plays. Position means nothing. If the player is good he'll be known it's that simple.

How many people had rasitically heard of or watched Ronaldo before he moved to United?

Tell me who is Real Madrid DCM? Bayern? How about PSG? Big clubs and they all have big time players there. No cheating pad.

Kroos Madrid, Vidal Bayern and Krychawiak (sp) PSG I think. Khedera (sp) Pogba Juve, busquetes Barca, all top class players Toure, Matic, again all massive names. Position means fuck all if you're a class player it will shine through.

If I have any wrong I apologise.

Edit I forgot Alonso.

Edited by Paddock

What about Tottenham, Aresnal, West ham and Southampton?

Cucking hell what is this, texst Paddock day, Wanyama was Soton now Spurs, Dembele Spurs, West Ham don't play withcdms I don't think.

I don'mt profess to know every one, I an'ttell you who plays up front for Hull or Inter Milan the point remains the same. World class players are known regardless of where they play

Kroos Madrid, Vidal Bayern and Krychawiak (sp) PSG I think. Khedera (sp) Pogba Juve, busquetes Barca, all top class players Toure, Matic, again all massive names. Position means fuck all if you're a class player it will shine through.

If I have any wrong I apologise.

Edit I forgot Alonso.

You got 2 out of 3 wrong.

Real Casemiro (Kroos isn't a DCM he's an ACM for them he can't defend to save his life)

PSG - Blaise matuidi (amazing player)

Bayern - correct Vidal Alonso and new boy Sanchez

Toure wasn't a DCM he was box to box, same with pogba he's not DCM he's box to box or ACM. Neither defends well.

Pure defensive players aren't well known.

Koeman needs to work on his discipline to get the most out of him.

It's obvious where the comparisons to Kante start, and where they end:

Tackles: Kante 175 (1st), Gueye 144 (2nd)

Interceptions: Kante 156 (1st), Gueye 141 (2nd)

Fouls: Kante 43 (25th), Gueye 68 (1st)

Yellow Cards: Kante 3 (133rd), Gueye 10 (2nd)

Krychowiak only just moved. He played for Sevilla last season soI think Pad is googling this stuff.

No I'm not, I've no reason to Google anything if I don't know I'd just say I don't know. He will be their cdm this season wont he. I also have a 9 year old son who is obsessed with FIFA who could put us all to shame and name probably every single player and their position for most of the top teams.