Sign in to follow this  
Peter H

Ashley Williams

Definitely, if we get him for a suitable fee. Better than any other CB we have, a leader. Remember how good Richard Gough was for us? Think he was about 36 when he signed for us. Could get a few good years out of Williams yet

Gough, distin, weir, all pushing on when we got them but provided exceptional service.

I'm not against this signing. I just think £10m is a couple of mill too much. Then again at £8m would it be worth Swansea selling?

He is a bloody good stopper. Very solid.

Guest rusty747

This would be a signing consistent with the rebuilding project that is ongoing by the new owner.

Goodison Park is a tired old stadium that has been smartened up for a few seasons prior to moving to a new stadium.

Similarly with players. Buy a few seasoned premier league pros to keep us in the top half of the league, whilst Walsh quietly works his magic so that in a season or two we have assembled a squad that can challenge for the title.

So I am happy with Williams as I think he is ideal to help us bridge the gap from where we are now to where we want to be in a couple of years time.

Guest rusty747

Plus, we need characters on the pitch. Sorely lacking in the debacle last season became.

Agreed. As much as I like Jags, he is just too nice a guy. We need someone who knows he is going to get booked every other game and sent off once a season.

Guest rusty747

Any chance of him playing v Man U on Wednesday?

Be a yes from me. No nonsense defender who will put his left nut sack in the way to block a shot. You don't see this guy turning his back when forwards are shooting.

31? Who cares he still has a good 3 seasons in him. We need a leader at the back and I think Williams could be the player to be just that.

Better than Jagielka though.

Will Williams still be a starting quality player a year from now, or two years from now? Why not invest the money into someone who will be? I would find this very strange and good business for Swansea.

Will Williams still be a starting quality player a year from now, or two years from now? Why not invest the money into someone who will be? I would find this very strange and good business for Swansea.

Maybe because there are multiple poditions to fill and we have several young cb's already?

He'd be another good option to have IMO. If we sign Koubillay aswell then the centre half positions will be solid and good for rotation. I just want Stones offloaded as soon as possible

He's a leader - there seems to be a few issues with Jags' fitness so we need another CB who knows the league and will marshall the defence. Mori needs Jagielka or a Williams type centre back alongside him - maybe Fonte unless there's a rumoured no Saints players agreement. Stones is gone in my opinion - it'll get sorted eventually so I do expect another CB in too - possibly Koulibaily.

Id be very happy with Williams and Jags doing a development role helping the likes of Mori, Galloway, Pennington etc learn their trade over the next two seasons. Koulibaly would be a bonus, still need a keeper to be confident at the back tho.

As a player on the pitch, I'd take him in a heartbeat. As a transfer, I'm not sure. He's 31 and who knows what his fitness will be like going forward. If a magic ball could guarantee three years of good fitness from him, I'd absolutely do this deal.

He was in my team of the season 2 years ago, and at 31 he's still got a handful of seasons left. Competent player that will cover a problem position for relatively little freeing up funds for more important transfers.

Would be an absolute top bit of business from us to sign a defender in his prime at 10 million. The lads hasn't missed many games in the past 4 seasons and is fit as a fiddle. One of the best centre half's in the league and a leader we've been lacking on the field since Neville left.

Would be an absolute top bit of business from us to sign a defender in his prime at 10 million. The lads hasn't missed many games in the past 4 seasons and is fit as a fiddle. One of the best centre half's in the league and a leader we've been lacking on the field since Neville left.

He's turning 32 in three weeks. He isn't in his prime, he's nearing the end of his career.

He'll be good for another 4 years.

There's no way of knowing that. And he's never been all that special anyway imo. Jagielka in his prime was better and we should have upgraded on him last summer or the year before if we wanted to keep on challenging for Europe.

There's no way of knowing that. And he's never been all that special anyway imo. Jagielka in his prime was better and we should have upgraded on him last summer or the year before if we wanted to keep on challenging for Europe.

It would have taken a little more than that. But I don't think I agree that Jagielka was ever better than Williams.

Does he or has he ever relied on pace? No.

The lads a specimen. Strong in the air, solid in the tackle, focused. It's like having distin but a more mentally focused vs quick player.

He will be decent for 3 seasons at least.

He's turning 32 in three weeks. He isn't in his prime, he's nearing the end of his career.

I have never known him to be so highly regarded as he is now.

If this isn't his prime then he must have been one of the best kept secrets.

Put into context.... we sold Anichebe for £6m. We are in an inflated market... this lad is a LEADER. we've been crying out for someone who will set an example and if we get 2 good seasons from him in the way we have seen him for Swansea and Wales then it's a no brainer.

Not every signing needs to be with a view to making a profit. I'm shocked that we may be able to get him if im honest.

Put into context.... we sold Anichebe for £6m. We are in an inflated market... this lad is a LEADER. we've been crying out for someone who will set an example and if we get 2 good seasons from him in the way we have seen him for Swansea and Wales then it's a no brainer.

Not every signing needs to be with a view to making a profit. I'm shocked that we may be able to get him if im honest.

Spot on.

This.

We're crying out for a leader, and he'd would be a great mentor for Mori.

Guest rusty747

Fingers crossed this happens - and quickly.