IGNORED

Ashley Williams

played the whole summer at Euros almost every match of the tournament, barely got a rest and then was sent to a new team. honestly I just think he needs a little rest, a winter window break would do him a world of good, sadly that isn't this league.

hopefully Koeman rotates Holgate in there to get Ashley a break, because I think that's all he needs. That goal will give him the confidence back.

if anyone is shot, its jags not Williams.

played the whole summer at Euros almost every match of the tournament, barely got a rest and then was sent to a new team. honestly I just think he needs a little rest, a winter window break would do him a world of good, sadly that isn't this league.

hopefully Koeman rotates Holgate in there to get Ashley a break, because I think that's all he needs. That goal will give him the confidence back.

if anyone is shot, its jags not Williams.

Agreed, a rest may do him good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another very wobbly display today, doesn't look anything like the commanding-physical-win every header-CB he did at Swansea and for Wales. Know only too well his passing isn't his strongest facet, but with his strongest elements of his game not quite up to their former heights, it seems we and he are in a bit of a no-mans-land. Stick with him hoping for improvement and obviously replace due to age and sharpness, or cash in now and take the plunge? I appreciate in Jagielka's number is up we wont be letting both senior CB's go at the same time.

I didn't think he was as bad as is being made out. He got a bit more desperate as the game went on and I thought he played a couple of people into trouble, mainly Mori, but it wasn't a performance that means he means he has to be written off especially as he has been solid in the games before.

Always said he was a bad buy, jags would have played as well as Williams, if not better.

Well we've got the 5th best defence in the league on the back of conceding 3 today - 30 in total for the season. An upgrade on recent seasons. This will improve further next season I would expect with Williams a central figure to that.

Well we've got the 5th best defence in the league on the back of conceding 3 today - 30 in total for the season. An upgrade on recent seasons. This will improve further next season I would expect with Williams a central figure to that.

I've never been sold on him but you can't argue that things have improved defensively this season, and he's played in every game (I think?).

What is it..... 25 / 26 games and not one MOTM, got about 20 odd votes so he's averaged less than one vote per game. jags is only a few votes behind him and he's not played half the games.

Williams came here with people singing his praises as a great signing, he has been pretty average that's all.

You can't credit Williams with the decent defence, its a credit to all the players, better GK displays, the DMS are better this season, forward players are working hard to get back, so to say that it's Williams that's responsible for it is very short sighted.

Edited by Bill

What is it..... 25 / 26 games and not one MOTM, got about 20 odd votes so he's averaged less than one vote per game. jags is only a few votes behind him and he's not played half the games.

Williams came here with people singing his praises as a great signing, he has been pretty average that's all.

You can't credit Williams with the decent defence, its a credit to all the players, better GK displays, the DMS are better this season, forward players are working hard to get back, so to say that it's Williams that's responsible for it is very short sighted.

When you're going to base your football opinion on a forum's MOTM poll then, well... You've done it in the past with Besic (he had a few good games when we were dire and put a few strong tackles in to excite the crowd) and now negatively with Williams.

Williams is part of a defensive unit that has improved significantly on the past 2 seasons. As Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Mori, Joel, Barry and McCarthy have been part of the defensive unit which was less effective I'm saying Williams, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Davies but most of all Koeman have improved us. I'm making this judgement based on what I see each week. What I do see is Williams giving us much needed leadership (especially when the central figure of a 3) and physicality at the back. He's not perfect and I don't even expect him to be an automatic choice next season but I see him as our most important and consistent centre back.

Back to the MOTM fascination... maybe when Williams is on his game other players like Lukaku and Barkley can shine and take the headlines up the other end of the field after all who are the players who get the headlines? I appreciate a block, clearance, tackle or a big defensive header but they're not the moments that are going to get the air time against goals and saves.

Pete, the MOTM poll is a very good pointer, if you play well people usually give you a vote, if you don't nobody votes for you. Talking about other players taking the credit is fine, but there are usually 4-5-6 players who receive votes in most of the polls.

Williams doesn't play well enough to convince people to vote for him, he's consistently average that's all.

Edited by Bill

Pete, the MOTM poll is a very good pointer, if you play well people usually give you a vote, if you don't nobody votes for you. Talking about other players taking the credit is fine, but there are usually 4-5-6 players who receive votes in most of the polls.

Williams doesn't play well enough to convince people to vote for him, he's consistently average that's all.

I'm not Pete but okay if you're going to base it on that it's clear that this forum hasn't voted very often for defenders. The keepers each have a fair few but only Coleman and Holgate have more than Williams. Holgate will get a bias because he's a young up and coming star and we as fans get excited about that and Coleman can be a match winner with his goals and assists. Looking at it a little closer it's clear (according the MOTM votes on ToffeeTalk) that Williams has been better than his 2 main partners as Jags and Mori only have 20 votes between them.

I've never been sold on him but you can't argue that things have improved defensively this season, and he's played in every game (I think?).

I hate to be this guy (Not fucking likely I do !) but could the defence under the previous drunken regime have been any worse?

All said, our defence is a work in transition, if Koeman can get in the players like he has for midfield then I for one will be a very happy chap.

Williams has generally been our most solid CB this season. But, my gripe with him today (beyond him falling asleep a few times) was his terrible game management late in the match. He gave away some stupid fouls that took precious time off the clock and he was fucking laughing it off. That shit wasn't funny. I have no clue how someone who has captained a side can do that. It was embarrassing and childish.

I think the MOTM poll is a dodgy metric for judging player performance - e.g. Tom Cleverley has more votes than Baines this season, and then Jags has almost triple the amount of votes as both of them. Aggregate player ratings seem more logical to me.

2ryozrb.jpg