IGNORED

Ashley Williams

I'd say he's been pretty steady so far he's had poor anonymous games and decent ones as well but nothing outstanding

First season in a completely new side set up and style of play, I like Mori but I think he's used to being paired with a less forward thinking partner who's movements are erratic at times

Time will tell you say.!! He's played all season and he's over 30, can you see him getting any better, cos I can't.

As for the motm poll voting, he has earned all his points in two games, so in the other 25 games nobody thought he played well enough to give him a single vote, I say again he's pretty average, no more no less.

Pretty sure we've been over this MOTM vote thing before and how it's very misleading.

Remember that this a new season, in a new club with a new partnership which has been tinkered with several times. He is only a stop-gap as mentioned before, but he will come good I've no doubt about it.

The MOTM is very misleading ?

It's where people cast votes for players they think have played well, if nobody votes for a player I take it that he hasn't played well enough to give him a vote.

Nothing misleading about that, pretty obvious to me.

So the fact people voted for someone else other than Williams means he's average? For me it's because 99% of the time it will be down to other players played better (Gana, Barkley, Lukaku, Davies spring to mind) rather than he has been poor. That's why I find it misleading

He's been our best defender all season.

We have one of the best defensive records in the league, fourth before yesterday's game not sure now, which he has been a big part of.

Enough people were worried watching Stones play as he didn't defend properly, Williams defends properly! He may not improve, but he isn't exactly over the hill. I'd be replacing the guy next to him first.

Agreed with those assessments. Funes Mori can occasionally put in a great shift - he wouldn't be starting for Argentina otherwise, but Williams is captain material and still one of the more solid if unspectacular CB's in the Premier league. We do need another solid CB to rotate in next season, but in the Tottenham game I think our problem was more to do with formation than it was defending from our CBs. I'd like to see Holgate get a couple shifts in place of Funes Mori if we fall out of contention for 6th.

One average game !! Tell me when he's had anything but average games.

I can't believe it, some people think he's a Franz Beckenbauer, how many times do I have to say it, he's totally average.

I don't think anyone has said anything like that. They just realise he is a solid 7/10 player week in week out with the rare 9 or 5 thrown in.

One average game !! Tell me when he's had anything but average games.

I can't believe it, some people think he's a Franz Beckenbauer, how many times do I have to say it, he's totally average.

To be fair you need to keep repeating it right up until the point when you manage a team to the Champions league final.

Using premier league fantasy footballs bonus point system Williams would be our 2nd best performer. 11th best in the league. On bonus points awarded he's only 7th at the club, pretty much backs up the argument he's one of the most consistent but doesn't ever shine.

The data is skewed in favour of players with more minutes, but I can't be arsed adjusting it.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/106533

Edited by pete0

It was a momentary lapse, yesterday, and he almost put Robles in all sorts of trouble presenting Clueless with a chance to lob our keeper, I expect the ball to be stuck into orbit after such a tame header that lead to a sticky moment yesterday, have criticised both Mori and Robles for losing concentration then finding themselves up the creek so Williams gets a bucket of criticism for not leading by example. It is our senior players that set the bar for the rest of the side to perform too.

A mistake, a very poor one. I think there was a lack of communication between the two of them. Robles should have been telling him to get rid with a forward that close to him and if he doesn't get that shout he needed to do better with the header. But if that's all we have to complain about at the moment, I'll take that. Another clean sheet. Job done from the lads at the back.

Done nothing special as an individual, but seems to pull the defence together.

I see somebody actually gave him a vote this week, considering his blunder almost gifted them a goal, he is very lucky to get it.

Edited by Bill

Done nothing special as an individual, but seems to pull the defence together.

I see somebody actually gave him a vote this week, considering his blunder almost gifted them a goal, he is very lucky to get it.

To be fair Bill, if you look at an in depth stats site (I know, I know...stats...love-hate), he is by far our best performing defender this season by some way in most, not all, defensive areas.

You need to go back and read the Echo article....

Jags- same average as williams on clearances and blocks, better average on tackles and duels.

Mori- not as good as those averages, but beats them both in interceptions and air duels.

Like i said Williams is nothing special but seems to blend them together.

Edited by Bill

You need to go back and read the Echo article....

Jags- same average as williams on clearances and blocks, better average on tackles and duels.

Mori- not as good as those averages, but beats them both in interceptions and air duels.

Like i said Williams is nothing special but seems to blend them together.

When you look at it properly, and I didn't or don't mean a paragraph in the Echo article, you find that Williams tends to be either the 'best' or just '2nd best' at different elements. Where as Jags and Mori interchange and tend to be either just slightly ahead/level with Williams or way off.

I think that's why Williams gets the nod ahead of them both. He's the most consistent across the board.

Although looking at it, it does feel like Jags has been treat a bit harshly as he tends to fair better than Mori overall. But I think most of us probably rate Jags ahead of Mori anyway.

Yeah, Williams is nothing special. But he is a solid CB and his contribution this season shouldn't be underestimated.