IGNORED

Ashley Williams

distin relied on pace which he had buckets of. Williams has far more to his game, very vocal, strong in the air and the tackle, reads the game very well and makes very little mistakes.

Not disputing any of that, but I don't see how that guarantees he'll play well into his thirties? What if whatever pace he does have goes?

Not disputing any of that, but I don't see how that guarantees he'll play well into his thirties? What if whatever pace he does have goes?

clever defenders don't always need the pace - he is very clever. Distin needed his because he was a bit prone to errors.

You can always compliment a slower defender with a quicker one. Hansen for example was not quick at all - he had lawrenson for that.

stones was sold weeks ago IMO - we never announced it because Swansea would have upped the price - the same with Kone more than likely.

So you don't think we are selling to buy? Hope not!

If what you are saying is true then it sounds like we've also acquired some business acumen! Funny that when you bring in a billionaire.

clever defenders don't always need the pace - he is very clever. Distin needed his because he was a bit prone to errors.

You can always compliment a slower defender with a quicker one. Hansen for example was not quick at all - he had lawrenson for that.

Everyone needs some pace (Leon Osman was a clever player, he was a liability on the pitch the last couple of seasons regardless), defenders aren't an exception to that. And Distin indeed needed his pace to be a positive and he was exceptional in that he kept his pace far longer than most other players do, but he's also exceptional in that he simply played far longer than most players do. Not everyone plays at a Premier League level until they're 38.

So you don't think we are selling to buy? Hope not!

If what you are saying is true then it sounds like we've also acquired some business acumen! Funny that when you bring in a billionaire.

For the most part, we've always been good at and professional with transfers, both in and out (bar some obvious examples). This window is just going "typical Everton" for me

Well happy about this. Selling Stones and getting Williams plus 35 mil is fantastic

Wait until the 2018-19 season when Williams is backing up whoever we have starting at centre back then and we've spent the 35m on Idrissa Gueye and Yannick Bolasie while Stones is starting for Manchester City and England and prices have skyrocketed further.

Edited by Steve_E

Well happy about this. Selling Stones and getting Williams plus 35 mil is fantastic

About £7/8m going to Barnsley though I think, so not quite such a profit; have to take off agents fees as well (loyalty payment? Or is that still void because he asked for a transfer last year?).

Wait until the 2018-19 season when Williams is backing up whoever we have starting at centre back then and we've spent the 35m on Idrissa Gueye and Yannick Bolasie while Stones is starting for Manchester City and England and prices have skyrocketed further.

or if you follow more recent transfer dealings that City have had for young players - he may follow the course of Jack Rodwell the elegant footballer with very little going on between the ears and be sat in the squad at Sunderland after making the big jump too soon.

Meanwhile Mason Holgate, Kone and Funes Mori had formed a tremendous central defensive rotation having been mentored by player coach Ashley Williams....

or if you follow more recent transfer dealings that City have had for young players - he may follow the course of Jack Rodwell the elegant footballer with very little going on between the ears and be sat in the squad at Sunderland after making the big jump too soon.

Meanwhile Mason Holgate, Kone and Funes Mori had formed a tremendous central defensive rotation having been mentored by player coach Ashley Williams....

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was convinced that Rodwell wasn't even good enough for Everton by the time he was sold to City, so that's a bit of a different situation to Stones. But sure, I guess everything is possible. I know what I believe to be the more likely outcome though.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was convinced that Rodwell wasn't even good enough for Everton by the time he was sold to City, so that's a bit of a different situation to Stones. But sure, I guess everything is possible. I know what I believe to be the more likely outcome though.

I also think Stones is a better chance of being class versus Rodwell - though I must say in his first season Rodwell looked immense.

I just don't think Stones will be the defender that we are likely to see with Ashley Williams. He will be decent and wont be a waste of money - but I don't think we will look over at him like we did with Wayne Rooney when he did things that he did in his first 3 years at Man United.

At first I was a bit 'meh' about this, was it last month that he was first rumoured?

But over the last couple of weeks, I've grown to the idea of what hell bring to us.

I'm happy to get this one. He'll be a solid player for us. A good honest player with no baggage or ego. He's the sort us lot are meant to pine for.

He's a good piece to the jigsaw.

I also think Stones is a better chance of being class versus Rodwell - though I must say in his first season Rodwell looked immense.

I just don't think Stones will be the defender that we are likely to see with Ashley Williams. He will be decent and wont be a waste of money - but I don't think we will look over at him like we did with Wayne Rooney when he did things that he did in his first 3 years at Man United.

stones will be stroking the ball about and ooooo and aaa from the crowd but will be weak on set pieces and in the air. he will be perfect for guardiola who plays defensive mids as centre backs anyways.

.....looks around for SteveO, doesn't see him....... Yep RCB for Swansea, so drop in jags replacement.

......oh shit, sees Steve coming round......

Just a CB, plays the defense,

I'll accept centre back, centre half, defender or CB.

:crying:

Looking forward to seeing him in a blue shirt, and probably a few cheers from the stands when he just wins a fucking header!