Sign in to follow this  
Peter H

Ashley Williams

Done nothing special as an individual, but seems to pull the defence together.

I see somebody actually gave him a vote this week, considering his blunder almost gifted them a goal, he is very lucky to get it.

Done nothing special as an individual, but seems to pull the defence together.

I see somebody actually gave him a vote this week, considering his blunder almost gifted them a goal, he is very lucky to get it.

To be fair Bill, if you look at an in depth stats site (I know, I know...stats...love-hate), he is by far our best performing defender this season by some way in most, not all, defensive areas.

You need to go back and read the Echo article....

Jags- same average as williams on clearances and blocks, better average on tackles and duels.

Mori- not as good as those averages, but beats them both in interceptions and air duels.

Like i said Williams is nothing special but seems to blend them together.

You need to go back and read the Echo article....

Jags- same average as williams on clearances and blocks, better average on tackles and duels.

Mori- not as good as those averages, but beats them both in interceptions and air duels.

Like i said Williams is nothing special but seems to blend them together.

When you look at it properly, and I didn't or don't mean a paragraph in the Echo article, you find that Williams tends to be either the 'best' or just '2nd best' at different elements. Where as Jags and Mori interchange and tend to be either just slightly ahead/level with Williams or way off.

I think that's why Williams gets the nod ahead of them both. He's the most consistent across the board.

Although looking at it, it does feel like Jags has been treat a bit harshly as he tends to fair better than Mori overall. But I think most of us probably rate Jags ahead of Mori anyway.

Yeah, Williams is nothing special. But he is a solid CB and his contribution this season shouldn't be underestimated.

As has been said he is no world beater, but he does the basics very well and is cool and calm. A solid defender with experience is just what we needed to shore the defense up for a season or two until we can get quality defenders in and bring on Holgate and Galloway.

I suspect Koeman has been trying to test Mori to see whether he is up to the job, especially as Jags wasn't doing great and isn't going to get any better.

Mori is decent but he has had a run in the team and he hasn't done enough. He has 1 really good game and then has a terrible game. He just isn't consistent enough for a club challenging the top 4.

I'm surprised we've heard nothing about his little incident in the derby. I thought he'd be in line for a definite retrospective ban.

Maybe they won't be dealing with incidents from those games until the mid-week fixtures have been played?

Maybe they gave us a pass since it was the derby? Yeah you're explanation is more likely

I'm surprised we've heard nothing about his little incident in the derby. I thought he'd be in line for a definite retrospective ban.

Maybe they won't be dealing with incidents from those games until the mid-week fixtures have been played?

I genuinely don't think he meant to tread on him. Certainly wasn't a stamp! He was off the floor and was planting his foot (not looking at the player). I didn't see much in this one.

Barkley on the other hand, should have been carded and retrospective could be an option.

I genuinely don't think he meant to tread on him. Certainly wasn't a stamp! He was off the floor and was planting his foot (not looking at the player). I didn't see much in this one.

Barkley on the other hand, should have been carded and retrospective could be an option.

But as the ref saw it and gave him a yellow I don't think further action can be taken can it? Agree with your Williams opinion.

Have to agree to disagree on that one. I think it was done on purpose.

But as the ref saw it and gave him a yellow I don't think further action can be taken can it? Agree with your Williams opinion.

They changed the system so that even if the ref sees incidents and deals with them the FA can still step in and impose a punishment.

He put his boot on his chest as he stepped over and then clearly tried to take the weight off and his foot slides sideways due to this.

Nothing in it as far as football is concerned, media is another matter though.

Two thumbs up.

Can goes down from the slightest foul, like most of that lot. He'd have done more roles than Mane if Williams had stamped on him.

Pair him with a younger quicker upcoming CB. Keane, Mcquire, Gibson.

He's a quality player. Just wasn't at the races today and needs someone quick covering him.

I've spent most of the season just thinking he's a donkey. His good performances have been few and far between. I'd have Jags playing before him and he needs replacing too.

Our defence has improved on the past 2 seasons. Koeman's been a factor, Gueye's been a factor, Williams has been a factor. We need strengthening in defence but Williams still has a very important role to play (not only on the pitch) if we want to continue to improve.

I've spent most of the season just thinking he's a donkey. His good performances have been few and far between. I'd have Jags playing before him and he needs replacing too.

Statistically one of the best centre half's this season in the premier league.

He has his off days but so does everyone.

He works hard and reads the game well.

He's not flashy, so people underestimate him.

I want this fella nowhere near being a starter next season. Two new first 11 CB's this summer please.

2 new CB is right Jags and Williams on the bench or easy Europa's.

I've said it before but we need to sign four new defenders imo, one for each position.

Ye right! Sad to say it but Baines an Jags are finished! And as for williams he's done a job but any premier league defender can do the same job. Maybe because he hasn't been captain he hasn't really had the fire what you normally see from him when he played for Swansea an Wales. Seen no real commanding from him since he's been here. But to be fair to him he's had jag's as captain who's a fuckin pussy cat compared to him when it comes down to being a captain! I think he needs to be in control to see the best out of him. Its like he's lost his stripes an been demoted to privet from major. He's prob looking at Jag's team talks an thinking what the fook!

An on to Coleman because your saying four. Id say he's still one of or not the best right back in the league. We have missed him big time!

And mori well great leap like a mad salmon out of water! but his defending is scary

So what? As long as he's fit by the first game, I couldn't care how "big" he is at this moment in time.

Like boxers, they train (pre-season) for the start of the fight (league season). As long as he's fit and ready by then, I couldn't care. They're allowed holidays too you know.

So what? As long as he's fit by the first game, I couldn't care how "big" he is at this moment in time.

Like boxers, they train (pre-season) for the start of the fight (league season). As long as he's fit and ready by then, I couldn't care. They're allowed holidays too you know.

Our season starts in just over 2 weeks time and he doesn't exactly look as though he is going to be ready for it. Yes they are entitled to their holidays but they are paid enough money to sacrifice the odd kebab and have a duty to the club and themselves to keep fit over the summer

Our season starts in just over 2 weeks time and he doesn't exactly look as though he is going to be ready for it. Yes they are entitled to their holidays but they are paid enough money to sacrifice the odd kebab and have a duty to the club and themselves to keep fit over the summer

I'm sure he's still physically fit, it could just be an unfortunately timed photo? In 2 weeks, if he isn't as fit as you'd like, you should probably say something (to him) but until then, that's what pre-season is for.

And don't be fooled by physique, Deulofeu couldn't run for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Just looks like he's having one of those let it hang out moments we all have, you can tell by his composer

If he was stood straight stomach in he'd look no different to last season

I think he needs to rewrite the sheet music then, something a little more upbeat?

Just looks like he's having one of those let it hang out moments we all have, you can tell by his composer

If he was stood straight stomach in he'd look no different to last season

He looked the same last season.

Mr Average.

Need a decent Ch and a decent striker still.

Bill, i always agreed with you on this, i never understood the fuss with him always been Mr Average imo. There is some talk down south here that we are interested in James Collins of West Ham to partner Keane

Bill, i always agreed with you on this, i never understood the fuss with him always been Mr Average imo. There is some talk down south here that we are interested in James Collins of West Ham to partner Keane

Well that's even worse. Jags is better than him as well.