IGNORED

Lamine Kone

Great for us, potentially.

Haf, you want this kind of character in the squad?

I don't like any player exerting so called "player power" to get their own way - I think I've been pretty clear on that one in the case of Lukaku.

Apparently he was told he would be offered a new contract in the summer and the club never got to do that? Bit of an own goal by them considering he was the key player in their defence that kept them up.

None the less he will be leaving Sunderland with their fans rightly angry at his antics and also the sluggishness of the board.

The new money in the game has meant some agents and players are being very calculated in ensuring they get their share of the dosh flying round. That's the way it seems things are at the moment. If he comes to us and puts in 100% in a blue shirt and helps us to be a success then I don't think too many fans will worry so much about his "ambition".

We are seeing the dog eat dog nature of football at its most grotesque at the moment - we just need to make sure our teeth are sharp.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/sunderland-face-prospect-of-lamine-kone-legal-action-more-transfe

Sunderland, more than any other club we can think of, have in recent years managed to find themselves at the centre of transfer disagreement and messy situations. The case of Ricky Alvarez will be decided soon, which could see Sunderland having to pay a big fee for a player now at Sampdoria.

Alvarez moved to Sunderland originally on loan, with an option to make the deal permanent. Inter Milan say the option was automatic as long as Sunderland avoided relegation, but the Premier League club refused to pay, allegedly because Alvarez had been injured. Inter Milan are very confident they'll win out in the legal case, but that remains to be seen.

Then there's the situation with Nicolas Lombaerts. Manager Dick Advocaat had agreed to stay on at Sunderland after they assured him about transfer spending, and he pushed a move for the Zenit defender. However, the transfer collapsed, with stories being leaked about a failed medical, something the defender himself rubbished.

Other claims at the time said there had been last minute disagreements about salary and transfer fee, so Lombaerts got fed up and returned to Zenit to win the league.

Jonathan de Guzman didn't get quite as far down the line, but again there were claims of an agreed deal before everything suddenly changed.

Leroy Fer was also the subject of leaked claims of a failed Sunderland medical, given as reason for the move from QPR being called off, but the Dutch media said the deal actually failed because he couldn't agree financial terms.

The backdrop of that means that many may have some sympathy with Lorient and Lamine Koné. Sunderland brought the player over from France to complete a transfer, and he'd spent more than a week in England before he returned frustrated.

French newspaper L'Equipe say that, after being offered a five and a half year contract, Koné travelled to Sunderland, but on arrival allegedly found that the terms of the contract had been changed.

Lorient's vice president revealed they're seriously considering legal action "There are not many levers, but French football needs to protect itself. We will turn to UEFA and FIFA. If you have the federation behind you, as is our case, it makes sense to fight."

Sunderland look set for more trouble, and it's curious what's actually going on with transfers at the club. Of course, it could all be the fault of the other clubs and perspective purchases, but why always Sunderland?

Edited by Lowensda

I don't like any player exerting so called "player power" to get their own way - I think I've been pretty clear on that one in the case of Lukaku.

Apparently he was told he would be offered a new contract in the summer and the club never got to do that? Bit of an own goal by them considering he was the key player in their defence that kept them up.

None the less he will be leaving Sunderland with their fans rightly angry at his antics and also the sluggishness of the board.

The new money in the game has meant some agents and players are being very calculated in ensuring they get their share of the dosh flying round. That's the way it seems things are at the moment. If he comes to us and puts in 100% in a blue shirt and helps us to be a success then I don't think too many fans will worry so much about his "ambition".

We are seeing the dog eat dog nature of football at its most grotesque at the moment - we just need to make sure our teeth are sharp.

I meant more that he's spoken out in public, without the excuse of a leading question or whatever.

Not the best way to go about things.

This is what people were making out Stones did! Wrong way to go about it IMO. Lost a bit of respect for him already.

Stones never said a word to the press - absolutely no parallels.

He clearly wants to join us - if he comes and defends like a Trojan on £70k a week, is a good person around the training ground etc then I'm not too concerned.

Lets get used to it - the game is awash with money and it brings out the worst in people.

I meant more that he's spoken out in public, without the excuse of a leading question or whatever.

I don't really see what difference a "leading question" makes unless you are trying to excuse Lukaku's repeated statements of wanting away whilst a season was in progress and no window was open.

Now unless these supposedly intelligent multi lingual footballers are injected with a truth serum before a microphone is shoved in their face then I can't for the life of me understand how a stock response of "I'm contracted to X football club and as far as I'm concerned unless things change then that will continue to be the case"

I mean - does anyone think for one second that John Stones in nearly a year after handing in a transfer request was never asked "what about your future John? will you be at Everton next season?" - he will have been asked that question numerous times but nothing was said because if it was he will have been quoted.

I don't really see what difference a "leading question" makes unless you are trying to excuse Lukaku's repeated statements of wanting away whilst a season was in progress and no window was open.

Now unless these supposedly intelligent multi lingual footballers are injected with a truth serum before a microphone is shoved in their face then I can't for the life of me understand how a stock response of "I'm contracted to X football club and as far as I'm concerned unless things change then that will continue to be the case"

I mean - does anyone think for one second that John Stones in nearly a year after handing in a transfer request was never asked "what about your future John? will you be at Everton next season?" - he will have been asked that question numerous times but nothing was said because if it was he will have been quoted.

You're missing the point - you've always maintained that you hate players (well, one at least) speaking out and how it's disrespectful etc. The guy has very clearly spoken out publicly. I would've thought you'd be against this kinda thing to be honest.

You're missing the point - you've always maintained that you hate players (well, one at least) speaking out and how it's disrespectful etc. The guy has very clearly spoken out publicly. I would've thought you'd be against this kinda thing to be honest.

I haven't missed the point because as above I said "I don't like any player exerting so called "player power" to get their own way - I think I've been pretty clear on that one in the case of Lukaku. "

So bearing this in mind - "do I want us to buy him?". I want us to buy any player who strengthens the team both in a playing sense and unity sense. If his character is indicative of a trouble causer then I do not want him. No player is worth having if they derail team spirit - or "chemistry" as Leighton put it.

Some players can be very cold blooded and business like when it comes to dealing with their future - but once its conducted they apply themselves professionally. It doesn't bode well that he has behaved this way - no doubt about it, but I do sense that Sunderland are trying to force his hand. This has been a very strangely managed deal. He was down here to discuss a transfer so in his mind he was off.

My understanding is that the lad runs through bricks walls on the pitch, trains well and is a good player. He is making his noises in the transfer window whilst solid approaches have been made for him.

Edited by Hafnia

I appreciate that he's been upfront about his situation and why he is looking to leave. If I was promised a significant raise, but then my boss leaves, a new one comes in, and that raise never materializes, I would be pissed. I would have to decide whether or not I want to work somewhere so unstable and can do that to one of their better employees. I would be looking elsewhere for something better. We're not talking simply about player greed here. We're talking about somebody offered something that was never followed through on and not wanting to stay somewhere where that happens when they have options elsewhere.

I'm not in the position of a footballer. So, I don't have to deal with public consequences for my job search. But, I appreciate that this guy had the balls to take the bull by the horns and to very clearly state what's going on with him. He knows fans will be angry. But, rather than let this play out in the media with all the idiotic rumors that fly around, he addressed it before some shit journo trying to sell advertising did.

Stones made me angry by never addressing his transfer request, why he handed it in and why he wanted to leave. All we got was him crying like a child (he pretty much is still a child, I know) because Everton fans were being assholes to him. If he wanted to go for more money and prestige, he should have said so. I realize this is an unreasonable request, because these aren't publicly legitimate reasons for leaving. Kone's statement is reasonable and legitimate. Their fans will be angry right now. But, at the end of the day, he made it clear why he's leaving and didn't crouch down and hide behind Steven Naismith.

I appreciate that he's been upfront about his situation and why he is looking to leave. If I was promised a significant raise, but then my boss leaves, a new one comes in, and that raise never materializes, I would be pissed. I would have to decide whether or not I want to work somewhere so unstable and can do that to one of their better employees. I would be looking elsewhere for something better. We're not talking simply about player greed here. We're talking about somebody offered something that was never followed through on and not wanting to stay somewhere where that happens when they have options elsewhere.

I'm not in the position of a footballer. So, I don't have to deal with public consequences for my job search. But, I appreciate that this guy had the balls to take the bull by the horns and to very clearly state what's going on with him. He knows fans will be angry. But, rather than let this play out in the media with all the idiotic rumors that fly around, he addressed it before some shit journo trying to sell advertising did.

Stones made me angry by never addressing his transfer request, why he handed it in and why he wanted to leave. All we got was him crying like a child (he pretty much is still a child, I know) because Everton fans were being assholes to him. If he wanted to go for more money and prestige, he should have said so. I realize this is an unreasonable request, because these aren't publicly legitimate reasons for leaving. Kone's statement is reasonable and legitimate. Their fans will be angry right now. But, at the end of the day, he made it clear why he's leaving and didn't crouch down and hide behind Steven Naismith.

Spot on on all accounts. Plus after reading that transfer fiasco report posted above its clear their negotiations are less than stellar.

lets get it straight - footballers, clubs and agents (unfortunately) do the business. The media sniff around for any gossip and feed it to the fans and it creates hysteria.

Now - when clubs, agents and footballers feed the media they can be seen to be very manipulative as a means of getting what they want. To me its unnecessary - its often insulting and fuels negativity.

Stones wanted to leave - he handed in a request and left it at that. He never made his request public - it was made public by agents and the clubs. Since then he got his head down and said nothing else and that is fine by me.

It seems people are looking for a valid reason to slate the lad. There really isn't one. He hasn't disrespected the club like Sterling did to Liverpool to get his move. He kept an admirable silence.

Stones never said a word to the press - absolutely no parallels.

He clearly wants to join us - if he comes and defends like a Trojan on £70k a week, is a good person around the training ground etc then I'm not too concerned.

Lets get used to it - the game is awash with money and it brings out the worst in people.

I never implied there were parallels I was trying to defend Stones tbh.

Guest rusty747

aka "I want Jagielka" or he aint going no where.

To be fair I totally get that.

Moyes is being hypocritical imho after his comments re Baines while he was mismanaging at Man U.

That said, if Jags is the price of getting Kone then so be it. Jags is 34, a decent cb, a good captain and an all round good egg. But he is 34 and this, unfortunately, is business. I dont want him to go but if he does and we get Kone plus Indi then that has to improve our defence - doesn't it?

Edited by rusty747

I like the link to Abdennour in that article -- wonder if there is any truth to that.

Valencia fans ecstatic at the thought of him leaving (especially for the price reported).

Sunderland fans are devastated with the thought of Kone leaving (at any price).

Which one would you prefer?

Valencia fans ecstatic at the thought of him leaving (especially for the price reported).

Sunderland fans are devastated with the thought of Kone leaving (at any price).

Which one would you prefer?

Well, I never stated that I wanted Abdennour over Kone, but I do know Abdennour showed some potential when at Monaco. I haven't kept up with him at Valencia, to be honest.