IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Away) Sat August 20th

markjazzbassist

Basically the same team I suggested. I really think that all those players up there together, with a fair amount of rotation, would be a terrifying force

more or less mate, just set t out that way to emphasise the 1 holder and massive pace on attack :)

Apparently I'm working today, got a call, but it will be from home so finally get to see a game :yay:

On paper having Geri, Bolasie, Mirallas and Barkley in a forward line may look pretty, but in reality they'd get in each others way, they'd try to occupy similar space and ruin each others work. Barkley would have to be deeper and 'out of the way' so to speak....

i disagree, I think it would give him more space to run from the back and link the play with 3 tricky, pacy wingers giving him more options and allowing him to "think" less

Plus it would mean that we have the same problem as Martinez's sides in that we have too many people ahead of the ball leaving ourselves open to the counter.

If we play 4-3-3 with those players then I'm sure he will be in a supporting role rather than an attacking role.

i disagree, I think it would give him more space to run from the back and link the play with 3 tricky, pacy wingers giving him more options and allowing him to "think" less

Yep...3 wingers...2 wings available. Plus 2 full backs pushing on to occupy the same space.

Obviously if he tries that line up then I'm wrong, if he never does, then....

Think Barkley does need to play deeper in this set up, I just don't think that means he would be "out of the way."

I like him linking up play with some space in front of him.

Playing him deeper puts him out of the way of that forward line up. That doesn't mean he is not involved, he still has a big role to play. He just wouldn't be occupying the exact same space.

Yep...3 wingers...2 wings available. Plus 2 full backs pushing on to occupy the same space.

Obviously if he tries that line up then I'm wrong, if he never does, then....

1 winger down the middle (all three are capable) and the FB overlap in support. It's a perfect counter setup

Plus it would mean that we have the same problem as Martinez's sides in that we have too many people ahead of the ball leaving ourselves open to the counter.

If we play 4-3-3 with those players then I'm sure he will be in a supporting role rather than an attacking role.

Yep. With the full backs pushing on as they do now...That's 7 players pushing forward and only 3 left at the back.

Classic set up for counter attack and suckered punch goals. As we seen plenty of times under Martinez.

1 winger down the middle (all three are capable) and the FB overlap in support. It's a perfect counter setup

With Barkley alongside them? As in the original post? All 4 of them in a line behind Lukaku??? Plus 2 overlapping full backs???

Edited by Newty82

With Barkley alongside them? As in the original post? All 4 of them in a line behind Lukaku???

they don't attack in a striata line dude.

I can see why it's not clear; I put Barkley alongside the other three to show him as an attacking force. If I put him next to the DCM in a 4231 it can look like he's playing that DCM Role. Make sense?

they don't attack in a striata line dude.

I can see why it's not clear; I put Barkley alongside the other three to show him as an attacking force. If I put him next to the DCM in a 4231 it can look like he's playing that DCM Role. Make sense?

In a 4231...it's almost spot on. In a 4141...it's not, the balance swings. I was commenting on what I could see on my screen...not how it would work inside your mind!!!

Barkley could play deeper...doesn't mean he's a 'DCM'. I know it's fashionable to line them up like that...how about 41131?!!! Almost there!!! Haha.

Guest rusty747

That is a tidy looking bench. Williams, Lukaku and Bolasie.

Starting 3-5-2?

Stekelenburg

Holgate. Jags. Mori

McCarthy Gueye Barkley Barry Baines

Gerry. Kev

Edited by rusty747

In a 4231...it's almost spot on. In a 4141...it's not, the balance swings. I was commenting on what I could see on my screen...not how it would work inside your mind!!!

Barkley could play deeper...doesn't mean he's a 'DCM'. I know it's fashionable to line them up like that...how about 41131?!!! Almost there!!! Haha.

:lol:

Wtf is McCarthy doing on the right wing?!

:lol:

Wtf is McCarthy doing on the right wing?!

I was hoping you'd explain that one. I'm out!!! Haha.

I'm not convinced they'll line up how that graphic shows.

More likely 3 CB'S...Baines - Mccarthy as WB'S...Barry, Geuye as per...the forward 3, erm, Geri up top???!!!

I was hoping you'd explain that one. I'm out!!! Haha.

I'm not convinced they'll line up how that graphic shows.

More likely 3 CB'S...Baines - Mccarthy as WB'S...Barry, Geuye as per...the forward 3, erm, Geri up top???!!!

dont care to be honest, just excited to see my first game of the season. Was travelling nearly all preseason and for the first game.

Going to get my shirt on :)