IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Away) Sat August 20th

markjazzbassist

Don't think that sub is as much about James McCarthy as it is that he was started out of position.

The formation worked well last week when we were playing on the counter but it isnt giving us enough penetration in attack now that we need to be the ones forcing the play.

Team was far too negative with this lineup. Good to see Koeman making the change early but similar to when the US played Ghana in the 2010 World Cup, 1st half subs to me mean that you got it completely wrong to begin with.

Edit: Also if Lukaku is fit enough for 60 mins, I'd much rather see him start and give us 60 mins than him having to come on as a sort of emergency ball for bad play and use a sub so early in the game.

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

Poor first 30 or so minutes but that one change has made a positive difference.

So good to see that the gaffa is willing to change things early if it isn't working. WBA are a big team, having Geri up against their back line was a waste.

Holgate instantly looked comfortable at RB bombing forward. Shame for McCarthy as I think he'll struggle to get in with Gana and Barry the preferred partnership.

Also, I'm pleased with the pace we seem to be shifting the ball around. Loads of possession bit not boring possession.

Plenty of empty seats at the Hawthorns which I think is a bit poor for the 1st home game.

I think we'll be much more an attacking force in the 2nd half. Still with good options on the bench too.

How refreshing to have a manager notice it's not working and change it in the first half and for that change to make a difference. Martinez would've been tugging himself off because we had all the ball and wouldn't have minded that we were losing.

pretty sure RM did the same thing in 1 game in his first season and we all got excited...

pretty sure RM did the same thing in 1 game in his first season and we all got excited...

If you're talking about when he brought Geri on for Baines (I think?) that was down to an injury. And sadly there were a lot of things Roberto did in his first season that were never to be seen again in the following two seasons! :(

If you're talking about when he brought Geri on for Baines (I think?) that was down to an injury. And sadly there were a lot of things Roberto did in his first season that were never to be seen again in the following two seasons! :(

no, there was one (only one) that was tactical. Can't remember who against though.