IGNORED

Lucas Perez Martinez

I'm actually out of sympathy for the bloke - I used to back him for all he's done for them on a budget and getting them a stadium. I honestly think he's doing this to make a point - a stubborn one at that.

Don't get me wrong this lad looks decent and may be a really good player for them but seriously he clearly likes Lacazette and rightly so - why not go out and offer them the money they want for him?

He should have been sacked over the Suarez debacle - £40,000,001 ??? ..... he could have bought europes best striker but he started playing games and got Liverpools back up. He should have banged in a £55m-£60m bid and Arsenal would have won the league the past 3 years - as simple as that.

He's like a millionaire who goes round jumble sales looking for bargains.

Never understood why this was an issue. They put a release clause in there, he met it. Big deal!

Never understood why this was an issue. They put a release clause in there, he met it. Big deal!

Like seeing a car listed on ebay about to go for £30000, all you have to do is 'best' the offer by anything (£1 in this instance) and win. Why would you see the listing at £30000 and then forward a bid of £50000?

Because the clause was "They have to inform the striker - they do not have to sell him". Rodgers had said at that time that Liverpool value him as at least equal to the £55m that was paid for Cavani.

Liverpool may have been willing to do business at that time after the 10 game ban for biting Ivanovic - but Arsenal rubbed the Liverpool owners up the wrong way and blew any chance they had of getting him. Suarez was apparently keen on the move as they were in Champs league.

In the words of Carragher:- "Wenger and Arsenal were under the impression, remember, that a bid of more than £40 million would take Suarez away from Liverpool but they took that to the extreme. By putting just £1 above the fee they thought would trigger a deal, it ensured business would never get done."

Liverpool managed to hold on to him despite the player making it clear he wanted away - he went on to have one of the best seasons I have seen from a striker in the prem and ended up going to Barca..... Wenger is cheap, its as simple as that.

Edited by Hafnia

I'm actually out of sympathy for the bloke - I used to back him for all he's done for them on a budget and getting them a stadium. I honestly think he's doing this to make a point - a stubborn one at that.

Don't get me wrong this lad looks decent and may be a really good player for them but seriously he clearly likes Lacazette and rightly so - why not go out and offer them the money they want for him?

He should have been sacked over the Suarez debacle - £40,000,001 ??? ..... he could have bought europes best striker but he started playing games and got Liverpools back up. He should have banged in a £55m-£60m bid and Arsenal would have won the league the past 3 years - as simple as that.

He's like a millionaire who goes round jumble sales looking for bargains.

Arsenal should've pulled the trigger on him 4 or 5 years ago.

The board love him, spends relatively little money and gets them champs league every year.

Living in spitting distance of Arsenal allot of the fans would agree with you. I think as an economics grad he refuses to spend so much as he sees the market as over inflated.

Blowing the Suarez deal was one of his biggest ever mistakes - he knew the Suarez was worth at least £65m and so did Liverpool. He basically tried to have them off and as a result they refused to entertain any other bids - he had actually bid £30m to start with...

If he went and asked them what they wanted for him then there would be a good chance he would be playing for Arsenal now. He didn't though, he tried the be a sneak and get one over on them and it blew up in his face.

He offered £3m less than what West Ham did for Lacazette £29m - Lyon asked for £40m and made their annoyance known in the press.... he is unbelievable. Clubs will refuse to deal with him the rep he is getting.

I was annoyed by the cheap way he acquired arteta.

Edited by Hafnia

The Metro article is built around one reference to a Spanish paper which they paraphrase, saying, "Arsenal... are ready to meet the strikers £17m release clause."

Ready to meet? What does that mean to you? It doesn't say have met, will meet, or anything definite. "Ready to meet" is the equivalent of "set to offer." Neither means shit. We've been "set to offer" money for several players this summer, and we've probably had a real interest in only a small percentage of them.

Sorry, but Liverpool put the clause in, he met it. The actual player of the player should've been put in the contract, Arsenal just followed the rules.

the clause was "the player had to be informed" - if it was contractual release then Liverpool would have had to sell, they didn't sell because they didn't have to accept it. It actually opened up the opportunity for Liverpool to offer an improved deal which is where they managed to put in a £70m release clause to an overseas club.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/liverpool-say-suarez-clause-is-water-tight/

Arsenal blew the best chance they had of signing a truly world class player for a reasonable sum. The rumours were that if they had gone in with £55m plus then Liverpool will have done business as they had got cheesed off with his evra, ivanovic antics and needed that amount to replace him.

I don't think this is dead in the water somehow. I think we may try and outbid Arsenal and Wenger walks away.

He's the type of person to walk into a shop - sees a sign saying "25% off" picks something he likes and when he takes it to the till to find that this item is new stock and not in the sale so he leaves it on the counter - even though he really likes it.

Arsenal met the release clause, Liverpool thought they would try their luck by just saying no. Arsenal should have pushed the case to The FA, UEFA and FIFA and they might have got somewhere. Suarez wanted to go but didn't want to upset Liverpool so wasn't going to fight for it. Arsenal bottled it.

I hope we sign this lad though.

the clause was "the player had to be informed" - if it was contractual release then Liverpool would have had to sell, they didn't sell because they didn't have to accept it. It actually opened up the opportunity for Liverpool to offer an improved deal which is where they managed to put in a £70m release clause to an overseas club.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/liverpool-say-suarez-clause-is-water-tight/

Arsenal blew the best chance they had of signing a truly world class player for a reasonable sum. The rumours were that if they had gone in with £55m plus then Liverpool will have done business as they had got cheesed off with his evra, ivanovic antics and needed that amount to replace him.

Liverpool just chanced it by saying no, that was all. They might have accepted £50m, but at £40m they just said no and Arsenal accepted that.

Arsenal met the release clause, Liverpool thought they would try their luck by just saying no. Arsenal should have pushed the case to The FA, UEFA and FIFA and they might have got somewhere. Suarez wanted to go but didn't want to upset Liverpool so wasn't going to fight for it. Arsenal bottled it.

I hope we sign this lad though.

They'd have had no grounds though, it was simply to trigger discussions not that Liverpool had to accept the offer

Liverpool just chanced it by saying no, that was all. They might have accepted £50m, but at £40m they just said no and Arsenal accepted that.

on a contracted agreement? Suarez's agent was all over him getting a move and had the contract scrutinized and in fact it did transpire that Liverpool were in their rights to say no, they had to inform him of any bids over £40m - that was all.

I'd love Liverpool to be in the wrong over it as it suits our agenda - but the fact is they weren't. There is not a chance they will have signed a player for £22m and had a £40m release clause - it absolutely makes no sense at all.

Suarez did not want to kick up a fuss and look like he was turning on the club. So he wouldn't push it.

Clauses about telling a player and high enough to begin discussions is a load of spin they pushed. Both clauses would be nonsense anyway. Any club worth their salt would not keep a bid secret from a player, and to begin discussions? Ok, we'll sit down and have a chat at £40m. We want to buy your player, we don't want to sell him. Waste of time. Neither clause existed, they just tried their luck by saying no.

Not a chance they would sign a player for £22m and put a clause in for almost double that? it would make perfect sense. No one new the market would inflate as quickly as it has, and no one knew he would be THAT good.

Not that arsed either way to be honest, we wont sign Suarez.

Edited by StevO

Regarding Perez...Have we "done a Wenger"?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/everton-bid-e17-5m-allowing-arsenal-swoop-no-gunners-offer-yet/

Everton bid only €17.5m, allowing Arsenal to swoop, but no Gunners offer yet

On Wednesday, the Spanish media were quick getting confirmation from sources that Everton’s interest in Lucas Perez was a real thing and serious. The Deportivo La Coruna player had been linked with many clubs earlier in the transfer window, including several from the Premier League, but nothing had come of it.

With a €20m buyout clause it seemed an easy deal to do for Everton, something covered in Spain. However, Spanish newspaper AS say Everton instead offered €17.5m.

Perez feels a great deal of loyalty toward Deportivo, despite only joining the club in 2015. Being from La Coruna obviously helps, but Perez and his agent feel the Spanish club did him something of a favour when they brought him back from Ukrainian football.

Earlier in the summer the player’s agent said they didn’t want to leave Deportivo on bad terms and would only do so for a big project. AS don’t believe Perez sees Everton as that, and the €17.5m offer won’t help.

The Spanish newspaper point out that despite claims of an Arsenal move being imminent, there’s been no offer from the Gunners yet. That’s not necessarily a big issue, given Arsenal would surely just go for the clause, more likely paid as a conventional transfer fee.

Regional newspaper La Voz De Galicia feel Arsenal would have no issue meeting the €20m, but may not be too keen to match the €2m a year wages offered by Everton, which we’d assume is after tax.

La Voz De Galicia disagree with AS and feel the €2m from Everton may be enough to persuade Perez, with the Merseyside club not ruled out.

Edited by Lowensda

On Wenger, he's a cheap ass hat as I have mentioned before a disgrace in transfers with Suarez and now lacazette. I see them out of top 5 this year Sanchez and ozil leaving and Wenger staying since Kroenke is a terrible owner.

On the Spanish lad, it's all papers, If we want him and need him we will bid more, if Walsh has other guys lined up we may move for them. I'm not worried in the slightest.

this lad ticks all the boxes for the type of striker we need. I hope the wages are a factor in him coming to us - giver them the €20m, he looks very smart.

It may cause some laughs but he looks like a very good/athletic Naismith, seemingly very intelligent, loads of pace, skill and can finish. Looks to link up well which is essential given our attacking mids.

Sorry, but Liverpool put the clause in, he met it. The actual player of the player should've been put in the contract, Arsenal just followed the rules.

It wasn't in the contract. It was a 'gentlemans' agreement type thing. The PFA ruled that it was not legally binding, they didn't have to accept the offer, only consider it.

I've done this with Paddock in the Gana thread last month.