Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Romey 1878

U23s

Recommended Posts

He's technically not 23 anymore of course, but what's the deal with Luke Garbutt? The few games I've seen him play he stood out and thought his crossing was impressive. I know he didn't get loaned out to a squad and Sam wouldn't put him out over Martina which is about as damning a condemnation as can be on his status/form...has he come to the end of the line and destined for lower league football? Or can we see him back and making a contribution in an Everton team shirt someday towards the end of season (or making next year's roster?). 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Connolly, Kenny & Dowell starting for England in the Toulon tournament final v Mexico.

Dowell puts us 2-1 up at half time after going behind early:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought both Kenny and Dowell were good. Kenny is a tough little cookie and Dowell was the only player who could play a quality pass. I actually saw him make a tackle too! 

I didnt see anything from Connolly to say he was a full back or wide midfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ye complete opposite to the semi final, Connelly was anonymous and Dowell was involved.

The only thing with Dowell is that if he wants a future under Silva then he has to do far more defensive work and be more aggressive. His future should be in central midfield, an English KDB, but Im not sure he has the mentality for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The only thing with Dowell is that if he wants a future under Silva then he has to do far more defensive work and be more aggressive. His future should be in central midfield, an English KDB, but Im not sure he has the mentality for it. 

I agree. Sounds like we’re talking about Barkley all over again. Aggression is needed in that position, you need to want to win possession back, you need to want to receive the ball and you need to want to hurt your opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

Dowell isn'ttt ready yet. He needs to go on loan to a CHMP team fighting for promotion or a PL team fighting relegation. 

Many people said the same about Barkley before Martinez got hold of him.

Loans are great for players that just need to play, just like Dowell did. He needed to know what a full hard season against men felt like. We need to identify whether we have a space in the side for him. If we don't this season but might next then yep loan him out again but if he will play 1500-1800 minutes with our players and our manager then he should be kept and that experience will be far more valuable than going anywhere else.

Once again it is tough for him because not only are we a little congested in that area with the first team, but he will also be competing for minutes with Lookman and Vlasic in those attacking roles. Bolasie must almost certainly be moved on this window.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Many people said the same about Barkley before Martinez got hold of him.

Loans are great for players that just need to play, just like Dowell did. He needed to know what a full hard season against men felt like. We need to identify whether we have a space in the side for him. If we don't this season but might next then yep loan him out again but if he will play 1500-1800 minutes with our players and our manager then he should be kept and that experience will be far more valuable than going anywhere else.

Once again it is tough for him because not only are we a little congested in that area with the first team, but he will also be competing for minutes with Lookman and Vlasic in those attacking roles. Bolasie must almost certainly be moved on this window.

 

I definitely agree with you for most of that, but Dowell isn'tt the physical presence that Barkley is. That's huge advantage in the PL. 

But you're spot on everything else though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just wondering if any of the strikers at this level are worth calling up to the first team to give a shot. A few of them seem to be banging in goals for a couple years running. Sambou maybe? Don’t see the harm in an appearance or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2019 at 21:26, Btay said:

Surely unsworth must be getting managerial offers from lower divisions.

He's got to go at some point, could have a really successful managerial career if he keeps up the good work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Well done boys!

Bit lucky with that penalty miss but a win is a win.

Bowler motm easy.

Secures the title as well:D. Sure you knew that but you didn't mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Indeed.  Watching those medals being handed out!

Twice in three years as well, hopefully a bright future for some of these lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Twice in three years as well, hopefully a bright future for some of these lads.

A lot of them around 21 years old, hope they can break through soon because they're running out of time. 

No doubt we will see a lot of them premier league and championship level eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virginia 19, Gibson 18, Adeniran 20, Bowler 20, Feeney 20, Markelo 20, Astley 17.

I'm guessing most will make their career in the Championship and League One, especially the ones still playing at this level at 21-22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think we should be too quick to judge. That’s been our mistake for years. 

We should give these lads as much opportunity as it takes until they are at a stage to either move on or make the grade here. Either should be deemed as a success. 

This is what makes us such a special club.  We don’t just class a first team graduate as a success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...