IGNORED

Cuco Martina

I'd like cover to actually be good tbh. You or I could cover, Pad. What we need is someone who can come in when needed and it not be overly noticeable that the number one for that position is missing.

Unless Koeman doesn't want to play a system with a RB and Coleman will be used going forward as an option when we change formation?

If we were going to play a true RB, then I would want us to be on the prowl for a better RB than Coleman.

I'd like cover to actually be good tbh. You or I could cover, Pad. What we need is someone who can come in when needed and it not be overly noticeable that the number one for that position is missing.

He played auite a few times last season mate- I know he's not a great player but it's not easy to attract a player of a good quality when he knows he'll be sitting on the bench begind Clleman when he's fit. Players want to play so we'll never get a quality right back in like that.

He played auite a few times last season mate- I know he's not a great player but it's not easy to attract a player of a good quality when he knows he'll be sitting on the bench begind Clleman when he's fit. Players want to play so we'll never get a quality right back in like that.

I'm not expecting an amazing right back but Martina is so poor. He makes me long for Tony Hibbert.

Personally, I'd be looking to replace Coleman, not simply buy cover.

I'm not expecting an amazing right back but Martina is so poor. He makes me long for Tony Hibbert.

Personally, I'd be looking to replace Coleman, not simply buy cover.

I would too. That leg break was horrendous, Imd be buying a young highly rated rb and letting Coleman fight for his place.

He's just cover, I've no problem with this on a free. Koeman knows the lad so knows what he's getting.

I agree with this. Sell him in the January window if need be but for now, Holgate is not a RB and Kenny is too young to cope with the demands of Europe plus league play.

I'd happily replace Coleman, his defence is shite, good at going forward but suspect at the back. I'd be more inclined to playing Coleman further forward tbh. The Coleman fan boys are going to have a fucking field day with me saying that!

I'd happily replace Coleman, his defence is shite, good at going forward but suspect at the back. I'd be more inclined to playing Coleman further forward tbh. The Coleman fan boys are going to have a fucking field day with me saying that!

I don't think he's great defensively, but I also think you're talking about systems. You either play a true defensive 4, or you let your fullbacks or singular fullback bomb forward, and account for some defensive holes at the back. No fullback has it both ways.

But you're not alone mate.

I really like Coleman as a person, think he's a cracking guy to have about the squad and as backup, he's just a limited footballer.

I don't think he's great defensively, but I also think you're talking about systems. You either play a true defensive 4, or you let your fullbacks or singular fullback bomb forward, and account for some defensive holes at the back. No fullback has it both ways.

Ashley Cole and Dani Alves did, however im not stupid enough to think we can sign someone of their calibre (when Cole was good).

That would be case if Coleman was fit Newty but with him out for a lengthy period hopefully Kenny will step up and Martina will just be cover for the time being

Do we bring in someone that puts Kenny's progression on hold or do we bring in free/cheap cover, Kenny looks every bit the type of player we want to hopefully push or keep Coleman out of the side

It makes financial sense and hopefully he want be to integral

That would be case if Coleman was fit Newty but with him out for a lengthy period hopefully Kenny will step up and Martina will just be cover for the time being

Do we bring in someone that puts Kenny's progression on hold or do we bring in free/cheap cover, Kenny looks every bit the type of player we want to hopefully push or keep Coleman out of the side

It makes financial sense and hopefully he want be to integral

Is free/cheap cover for Kenny not available from the U23's? Can Holgate be the cover? Or vice versa?

Even sitting on the bench is good experience for the younger lads.

Kenny is the cover from the u23's

If we play with pure wingbacks then Holgate is out of the equation for me, he'll become a top CB imo and I'd like to see him given a chance there in the right games but he isn't offensively gifted

"I think that he is offensively better and more dangerous than Mason (Holgate) in his crosses. That was the reason we gave him the chance." Koeman

That's not to put a downer on him in anyway just what I think is a small insight into what Koeman things and I've said above

I think it all hinges on whether Coleman comes back the player prior to his injury

Edited by EFC-Paul

apologies aaron, your mate was right (just timing was wrong).

welcome Cuco! looks like he will be RB and LB cover per the article:

“Cuco Martina is an experienced player who can perform in different positions at the back, which is important,” Koeman said.

Side note: he is from the tiny island of Curacao (almost went there for my honeymoon) which is a Dutch Sovereign State in the Caribbean.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I have a good feeling about this one you know. I think he'll do ok and the fans will take to him. He's never going to be near first choice but if he stands in and does a job when asked it'll be a shrewd bit of business

Don't have any problem with having some cover, especially a versatile player who can play both left and right back.