IGNORED

Cuco Martina

Good going forward, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a defender give less of a shit about defending than him. A ball could be 5 yards away from him and I wouldn't feel confident he'd bother going towards it.

Glad you said that , I thought defensively he was absolutely shite. I was breaking out in a cold sweat thinking about how he will get on in our next run of games

Glad you said that , I thought defensively he was absolutely shite. I was breaking out in a cold sweat thinking about how he will get on in our next run of games

Sane (or whichever other pacy winger they go with) is going to absolutely destroy him on Monday. Whoever plays RM for us better be prepared to help out.

I'm just hoping Koeman plays Holgate, knowing that we'll be on the back foot for most of this game.

Would be a nice tactical option, bring in Holgate to sure up defence when required (I think Holgate's defensive positioning is poor at times, much like Stones was when playing for Everton, looses his player or gets pulled out of shape).

Martina currently seems to be trusted to be used as an aggresive attacking outlet. He must have attempted around 10 crosses tonight.

Sane (or whichever other pacy winger they go with) is going to absolutely destroy him on Monday. Whoever plays RM for us better be prepared to help out.

I don't think the winger needs to be pacy, they could just walk past him. They could play Summerbee(Nicky or Mike) on Monday and they would destroy him. I don't think I've ever seen a fullback so easily beaten

All the Southampton fans I know laughed when we signed him and I'm starting to see why

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I think you are being way to hard on him. Does he need to improve defensivly? Yes and by a lot! But he did look like a good player going forward and i think Koeman signed him thinking we would use three CBs and 2 wingbacks.

Was Cafu a great defender? (And im not saying that Martina is as good)

I think you are being way to hard on him. Does he need to improve defensivly? Yes and by a lot! But he did look like a good player going forward and i think Koeman signed him thinking we would use three CBs and 2 wingbacks.

Was Cafu a great defender? (And im not saying that Martina is as good)

Did Cafu at least make an effort to defend?

I'm holding off on the criticism - I've seen him improve and that is what I want to see. He's nowhere near as bad as he is being made out to be.

I'm pretty sure if he cost a few bob and had a reputable name he wouldn't be getting so much stick.... his crossing and passing is pretty good.

I'm not doubting his attacking play, Haf, that is improving with each game, but his defending is horrendous.

I'm holding off on the criticism - I've seen him improve and that is what I want to see. He's nowhere near as bad as he is being made out to be.

I'm pretty sure if he cost a few bob and had a reputable name he wouldn't be getting so much stick.... his crossing and passing is pretty good.

that's where i'm at too. he was free, he is a backup and stand-in. for that he is well worth the wages, great crossing. once seamus is healthy we won't see him again but maybe the cups. when we sign a player on a free i don't expect to get Lahm like quality at RB, i expect an ok player.

He was better than Lookman who really struggled to get into the game. I'd happily play him right mid in front of Holgate against City.

He needs a voice next to him to coach him through his defensive duties. Is Coleman fit enough to run up and down the sidelines telling him what to do?

His fee has fuck all to do with it, after all the guy he is filling in for only cost £60k and most people love him

The issue is he can't defend and doesn't look as though he gives a shit about that fact

I admit part of my frustration isn't just that he is crap , it's the fact he is blocking the progression of Kenny and Holgate. At Coco's age he isn't suddenly going to switch on and develop the defensive side of his game. He is at his peek now and it's nowhere near good enough

His fee has fuck all to do with it, after all the guy he is filling in for only cost £60k and most people love him

The issue is he can't defend and doesn't look as though he gives a shit about that fact

I admit part of my frustration isn't just that he is crap , it's the fact he is blocking the progression of Kenny and Holgate. At Coco's age he isn't suddenly going to switch on and develop the defensive side of his game. He is at his peek now and it's nowhere near good enough

Solid post.

It's the effort to get back and help his teammates that I struggle with. He isn't that bad when a player try's to run past him.

It's just if the player gets past him.... it becomes an ... oh well, someone else can deal with it now, I wonder if there are any Marathon bars left in the chocky machine?

blocking their progression? if they are so good they would play ahead of him. Barkley played ahead of Mirallas many times last season, Holgate ahead of Jags and Mori, etc. People act like we need to roll out the red carpet for poor old kenny, he's been shafted. fuck that. if the lad's any good he will take his place in the lineup by storming the keep and showing everyone how good he is. he hasn't. mediocre at best in preseason.

not sure why everyone worships the ground kenny walks on, he was playing against 23 year old most of who will never see a first team in any top league.

sorry dunc i did go a bit nasty there. i just don't know why everyone has to protect little kenny, he's a man, he can win his own spot. martina isn't great, so it's not like it wouldn't take much to win the spot.

Peeps just want to give the young ones a chance. I'm the same. I've always been against bringing in cheapo's to fill a gap as I believe a youngun should be given the chance.

However, I do understand the flip side that the manager and coaching staff work with these guys daily so you have to take their view on it.

sorry dunc i did go a bit nasty there. i just don't know why everyone has to protect little kenny, he's a man, he can win his own spot. martina isn't great, so it's not like it wouldn't take much to win the spot.

i would simply rather give minutes to Kenny or Holgate to aid theiir development than watch people stroll past Coco

I'm not one for playing youngsters for thr sake of it but neither can be any worse than Martina

I like the look of Kenny but it's clear he has no future here but Koeman does seem to rate Holgate so it's baffling that he isn't getting the nod ahead of Coco

i would simply rather give minutes to Kenny or Holgate to aid theiir development than watch people stroll past Coco

I'm not one for playing youngsters for thr sake of it but neither can be any worse than Martina

I like the look of Kenny but it's clear he has no future here but Koeman does seem to rate Holgate so it's baffling that he isn't getting the nod ahead of Coco

Koeman prefers to stand by his signings it seems, even if it's clear to see that what was already here would seem better.

Am I the only one who's noticed that, or am I miss reading some of his decisions.

Spot on.