IGNORED

Another damn Yankee :)

Ghoat

From the soccer "hotbed" of Montgomery, Alabama, which I *think* has 3 other Everton fans.....

Played from early years, both daughters have played since they were 5 (one just went off to college), have been a ref for 14 years (up to U-19) but for some reason never really enjoyed on TV, or cared for EPL until until 3-4 years ago. Maybe just lack of TV coverage in US.

Boring intro on why I became an Evertonian -

Started following Everton in 2013, Martinez's first season, so I am a bit of a newbie compared to y'all. I got into FIFA 13 or 14 don't remember, and eventually began trying to find a team I liked. That's became Everton for several reason - none of which involved Tim Howard. I liked the colors, I liked the "blue collar" culture, not a flashy team that bought success, not a bandwagon team that most Americans latch on to etc...And the more I learned and watched, the more hooked I became. Have hardly missed a game in last 2+ years. My Saturday/Sunday morning routine is now "Eggs and Everton" - up to watch kickoff (usually with a hangover) at 9am, 6am or 1130am if I am lucky!

I'll say this, which may amuse some - don't underestimate the educational value of FIFA. I know the game, tactics, officiating etc....but for a 'Merican, the "business side" of professional football is like nothing we understand from US professional or collegiate sports. It's not just for learning the players, leagues etc...but transfer fees, aggregate scores, relegation, qualification for Europa/Champion, promotion, multiple Cups, away goals, replays...OMG WTF??? But once that's all understood...hooked for life!

Oh, and damn Barkley for changing to 8, now I'm going to have to order new gear...

Nice to meet you Ghoat.

Oh and don't worry about Ross changing his number. I once bought a shirt for my niece (way back when we had to pay per letter) she wanted Kanchelskis on the back. I obliged and we sold him the following week. Then she said she was really a Man Utd fan.

GAAH women!

Well you're in Mississippi (I'm from Meridian) so you understand, there is nowhere to just "pick it up"!

Excellent! I'm in Hattiesburg now but am originally from Columbus. Hattiesburg actually has a decent soccer following, but you're definitely right in that it's not a priority.

My daughter lives in Hoover Alabama, a little north of you in Montgomery. We travel to 'bama all the time.

Where do you usually go to watch Saturday games, or do you watch from home?

Usually at home, no bars are open here before noon Saturday/Sunday during the season. Good People Brewing is the home bar for the Birmingham American Outlaws chapter, I have watched a couple USW/MNT matches there when in the area, but I am unsure if they have an "EPL" bar so to speak. Montgomery does not, but Birmingham has 5x the population. Rojo on Highland Avenue I think shows EPL games live, but I'm not sure there really is a Fado's Pub kind of place like Atlanta has

Usually at home, no bars are open here before noon Saturday/Sunday during the season. Good People Brewing is the home bar for the Birmingham American Outlaws chapter, I have watched a couple USW/MNT matches there when in the area, but I am unsure if they have an "EPL" bar so to speak. Montgomery does not, but Birmingham has 5x the population. Rojo on Highland Avenue I think shows EPL games live, but I'm not sure there really is a Fado's Pub kind of place like Atlanta has

There are a number of Irish pubs in Atlanta, and they are usually packed.

Welcome in. So you've been an Everton supporter for 3 years. You do realise its a lifetime commitment? I can confirm that, having done 70 years.

Correct, I'm 44 years late showing up, something got hung up in the Atlantic I'm sure.

If you understand anything about American college football, Auburn University specifically.....you know I get it. Auburn has a rich history (but not elite). It's not flashy, ritzy or upper crust, it more down to earth, rural-ish. The years we are predicted to go 13-1 and challenge for the national championship we shit the bed and go 8-5. We may be 12-2 one year and crash to 3-9 the next. You hate that love you Auburn, but when they suck, you proudly wear your gear while silently cursing your love. I have sworn them off so many times, but every time they play at home I drive there - planned my wedding around their schedule. Once it "gets you" it's done. I never had a choice, all of my father's family that went to college went there, or one of the branches, as did I. It's part of your DNA (which sucks a lot sometimes!).

And honestly, that's what attracted me to Everton originally - "The Peoples Club". I loved the game, I just didn't have a "home". The more I learned about the way the Club saw itself and supporters, and the more I learned the way the supporters saw themselves and the Club....it was very familiar, I knew I had found my club, for better or worse. And as a bonus, Auburn's primary color is blue, and our arch rival within the state is University of Alabama (with a richer history) - with red/crimison their primary color. Makes it extra easy to hate Liverpool, it's that fucking color.....

If you ever need an American College football team to cheer for, I know one that Evertonians would love - aside from them inexplicably crushing your soul every few years. Regardless, Everton is stuck with me.

Correct, I'm 44 years late showing up, something got hung up in the Atlantic I'm sure.

If you understand anything about American college football, Auburn University specifically.....you know I get it. Auburn has a rich history (but not elite). It's not flashy, ritzy or upper crust, it more down to earth, rural-ish. The years we are predicted to go 13-1 and challenge for the national championship we shit the bed and go 8-5. We may be 12-2 one year and crash to 3-9 the next. You hate that love you Auburn, but when they suck, you proudly wear your gear while silently cursing your love. I have sworn them off so many times, but every time they play at home I drive there - planned my wedding around their schedule. Once it "gets you" it's done. I never had a choice, all of my father's family that went to college went there, or one of the branches, as did I. It's part of your DNA (which sucks a lot sometimes!).

And honestly, that's what attracted me to Everton originally - "The Peoples Club". I loved the game, I just didn't have a "home". The more I learned about the way the Club saw itself and supporters, and the more I learned the way the supporters saw themselves and the Club....it was very familiar, I knew I had found my club, for better or worse. And as a bonus, Auburn's primary color is blue, and our arch rival within the state is University of Alabama (with a richer history) - with red/crimison their primary color. Makes it extra easy to hate Liverpool, it's that fucking color.....

If you ever need an American College football team to cheer for, I know one that Evertonians would love - aside from them inexplicably crushing your soul every few years. Regardless, Everton is stuck with me.

My least favorite phrase on the planet has to be "Roll Tide."

I went to Mississippi State, so they're our rivals too (Bama).

Howard has 32 saves and 4 clean sheets in 9 games, 11 goals given up, 5 were in one game, 2-5-2 in that stretch. They are in 3rd, 5 points off with 2 games in hand.

I keep up with the standings, but for the life of me, I just can't get into MLS. Love the US National Team and may pause and watch some of a game if it has a prominent national player, or one of the rising new boys...but I just can't get into our domestic league, even tho it's much improved. The closest team to me is Orlando,750km next is Houston Dynamo 1000km away. Yes, I know Liverpool is almost 7000km away, don't let logic get in the way, I'm making a point. Or something.

Unrelated, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and Home Depot is the owner of the new expansion team, Atlanta United FC (WTF?) that will begin play next year, and are finishing a new stadium built for both football and "soccer" that is going to be nice. Supposed to be like 71,000 for the Falcons, and have configure to 30,000 for MLS, with a retractable roof and retractable seats to allow for a larger pitch, better lines of sight etc... Atlanta is only about 250km, and an easy 2.5 hour drive, so I'm sure I will make some games next year and maybe adopt a MLS team finally!

Howard has 32 saves and 4 clean sheets in 9 games, 11 goals given up, 5 were in one game, 2-5-2 in that stretch. They are in 3rd, 5 points off with 2 games in hand.

I keep up with the standings, but for the life of me, I just can't get into MLS. Love the US National Team and may pause and watch some of a game if it has a prominent national player, or one of the rising new boys...but I just can't get into our domestic league, even tho it's much improved. The closest team to me is Orlando,750km next is Houston Dynamo 1000km away. Yes, I know Liverpool is almost 7000km away, don't let logic get in the way, I'm making a point. Or something.

Unrelated, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and Home Depot is the owner of the new expansion team, Atlanta United FC (WTF?) that will begin play next year, and are finishing a new stadium built for both football and "soccer" that is going to be nice. Supposed to be like 71,000 for the Falcons, and have configure to 30,000 for MLS, with a retractable roof and retractable seats to allow for a larger pitch, better lines of sight etc... Atlanta is only about 250km, and an easy 2.5 hour drive, so I'm sure I will make some games next year and maybe adopt a MLS team finally!

If you're doing the miles/km conversions for our benefit there's no need, we still use miles in the mother country; never integrated with the metric system in that regard :).

haha it is true, america is so large we drive a long ways and it doesn't really bother us. just did a holiday and drove 12 hours in one day, wasn't a big deal.

I did about ten hours once (Devon to Fort William in Scotland) and I loved it. Intention is to drive to our usual holiday destination, Greece, one day. It's around 2,200 miles all in if you go overland all the way (via France, Belgium, Austria, Hungary, Serbia & Macedonia) or less if you just go down through France, possibly Switzerland and Italy and get the ferry across from Bari or Brindisi.

I prefer the first option, wife favours the latter....cue obvious reply :lol:.

thanks Ghoat great reply.