IGNORED

Rate our 2016 Transfer Window (and TDD)

Lowensda

I'm not to arsed about this transfer window were stronger now than before it opened.

We have a new manager settling in, a new structure at the club with Walsh as director of football and if all the rumours are right a new ground just around the corner. Once the grounds confirmed we'll be a much more attractive proposition to players.

Disappointed with some players we missed out on but overall were far better off than we were 6 months ago.

Ridiculous isn't it? Clubs get burned all the time from doing it so you'd think they'd learn the lesson not to do it, but a lot seem to leave it late on purpose and not due to circumstances.

United had one of the best windows and did all their business VERY early. It's paying dividends.

I still for the life of me do not understand why its last minute .com for all teams. Do people book a venu8e for their weddings a week before they are due to get married?

I mean what is the benefit of waiting?

It's utter madness! WBA signed Kanu Robson last night at around 10 o'clock, he's been without a club all summer, had a great Euro's but yet it's left to the last moment to sign him, just doesn't make sense!

Let's just hope Moshiri has learnt a lesson here and we get all our ducks in a row ready to do our business early in the January window

I expect Moshiri to ask big questions. This is the first window he has been a part of - could he have gone in and said "get lost" to elstone, nope. He has given him a chance and I believe he has failed miserably like he does with pretty much everything.

I actually think that we had a priority list and Sissoko was at the bottom of that - in the end the lads in charge of procurement/negotiations tried to panic buy.

This will be a blessing in disguise - it may be what was required to get moshiri to wield the axe.

I expect Moshiri to ask big questions. This is the first window he has been a part of - could he have gone in and said "get lost" to elstone, nope. He has given him a chance and I believe he has failed miserably like he does with pretty much everything.

I actually think that we had a priority list and Sissoko was at the bottom of that - in the end the lads in charge of procurement/negotiations tried to panic buy.

This will be a blessing in disguise - it may be what was required to get moshiri to wield the axe.

I hope so, out with the old in with the new please!!

TW - 5/10

TDD - 2/10

the deadline day wouldn't bother me if we'd done enough decent business before hand!

Defense

Stones going was disappointing but he wanted to leave and the fee was great very good so a decent deal.

Replacement in Williams is a good one, an experienced quality centre back with great leadership qualities.

I'm happy enough with what we have at centre back for now, an extra one might have been good but they would likely have been cover or rotation. I expect we'll be on the look out for someone to bring in January though.

Right back - I'd seen we were after a Southampton right back. I definitely think a new right back was much needed. We don't have any real cover there though I guess the emergence of Holgate as a competent stand in lessened the worry. Another position I think we have to add cover in thought.

Midfield

McGeady (loan), Osman and Pienaar gone, 2 have had their time, the other never proved much cop so no worries there.

Gana looks an excellent signing, solid, hard working, fast and good tackler who can also pass. Hopefully he continues to prove a real good value buy.

Bolasie, i'm not convinced by, he was pretty expensive for a player that doesn't have great scoring or assist stats but his pace and power can hopefully make him a good addition. Hopefully can prove a decent signing who can improve his goal and assist contribution in our side.

Did we need more? I'm happy enough with the wings, Duelofeu, Mirallas and Bolasie are good attacking options while Lennon can provide backup. Barkley is looking good in the central role and if he's out the others are all well capable of stepping into that position.

The one position I'd have liked to have seen upgraded would be a central midfielder who can create things, I guess a replacement for Barry. Holding but with some attacking impetus and ability to make things happen and fine the front players. Sissoko would have taken that position but given his awful season at Newcastle and high price tag I'm not too disapointed we missed out on him!

It's a shame the other deals didn't come through there.

Striker

We really needed a decent backup striker, I'd imagine that whether we went for Bony or not he would have picked Stoke as he will get to play where as we would have wanted him as backup which would rightfully not be in his interest. Enner Valencia has played a fair bit and managed 4 goals a season for 2 seasons in England. He's hardly set the Premiership alight. Maybe he can prove himself but I'm not convinced.

Ultimately we could have really done with backup and if Lukaku gets injured then we are really lacking goal scoring pedigree up front.

--

Not too impresed with our work really, maybe we went for the wrong targets and no matter what money you have barring paying silly wages players will want to go to top clubs and generally clubs that are in Europe. That isn't us right now so we can only sell ambition. You have to be realistic as to who you can get. I don't like the last minute stuff either, Berhami, Sissoko and Gabbiadini were all rumoured for days if not weeks and surely could have been crossed off before the final day if they weren't likely to happen.

I didn't expect mega money to be spent, Moshiri never said he was giving us loads of money for transfers and the constantly touted "moshiri's millions" was a load of shite that was never said by anyone but media and fans. He will stabilise our financial position and help us get a new stadium but I don't see him waving blank cheque books around. That said every team had a large amount of TV money available if nothing else and with Stones going out for 45m we've really pretty much spent nothing. I would have expected at least 20m more spent than we did.

I'm not too worried though, the team are playing well, growing into Koeman's style and the new signings are settling in ok. Hopefully we'll be working on reinforcements for January and ideally getting them in early having had time to work on it.

Based on the first couple of matches

T/W 8/10 - upgraded our defensive abilities (Gana, Williams, StecK) which we desperately needed - far too many goals conceded last year

D/D - who cares if the rest of the window went well

OK so perhaps not the glamorous names we desperately needed to change things around and get back up the table - signs are good so far.

If we can get into Europe then that will help attract better players.

Dodged a bullet with that arse Sissoko:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/01/moussa-sissoko-to-tottenham-have-spurs-signed-a-superstar-or-a-f/

we needed a striker - we have reasonable cover defensively.

Centre Midfield will be Barry/Gueye and McCarthy, Gibson, Davies and Clev as back up.

Out wide - Gerry, Bolassie, Kev, Lennon, Valencia

up front - Lukaku and Kone. Valencia or Gerry may do the odd central shift but that is where we needed back up.

we really should have got Wilfried Bony - loan with £8m option to buy? zero risk. I was happy to pay £15m for him.

Can't believe a Telegraph journalist wrote "adverse" when they meant "averse" :rolleyes:. What's the World coming to?

Actually the whole line is gibberish!

"After all, Newcastle are never been adverse to selling their best players..."

TW: 7

TDD: 3

Looking at this objectively, we had quite a decent transfer window. The problem is we set the wrong expectations for TDD. Once you do that, you can't undo it. Yes, it's maddening to be kept in the dark, but sometimes it's better to do that. Or, David Moyes style, set modest expectations and then exceed them. That's the first lesson learned here.

The second lesson is that, it seems, we could do with a more savvy negotiation team. When you have no leverage, you get taken advantage of. John Stones was leverage, for example, and we didn't use it. City could have put pressure on another team, ensuring we get a player we want in return for them getting John Stones from us. We viewed that sale as a typical over-the-counter cash transaction instead of realizing this was the biggest bargaining chip we had. We came across as amateurs in this regard, and I can imagine the new owner will want to change that immediately.

So, all in all, we didn't do so badly.

Edited by Cornish Steve

TW: 7

TDD: 3

Looking at this objectively, we had quite a decent transfer window. The problem is we set the wrong expectations for TDD. Once you do that, you can't undo it. Yes, it's maddening to be kept in the dark, but sometimes it's better to do that. Or, David Moyes style, set modest expectations and then exceed them. That's the first lesson learned here.

The second lesson is that, it seems, we could do with a more savvy negotiation team. When you have no leverage, you get taken advantage of. John Stones was leverage, for example, and we didn't use it. City could have put pressure on a team, ensuring we get a player in return for them getting Stones. We certainly came across as amateurs in this regard, and I can imagine the new owner will want to change that immediately.

So, all in all, we didn't do so badly.

I agree with this completely.

I originally gave TDD a 1/10 but was basing that on the Calvert alone (based solely on the fact he's not a striker who can make an immediate impact). I'm still unsure on Valencia, but he'll have my support once he puts that blue shirt on.

hafina my point on Bony was that he's spent ages sat on the bench, if he goes to us he'd likely be sat on the bench again. The lad probably wants to be guaranteed some starts.

I wouldn't be too sure based on what I have seen so far. He would most certainly get game time most games.

I think this transfer deadline day obsession is ridiculous myself. When someone is taking their coaching badges is there a unit on how best to spend money? I doubt it.

Koeman et al are "coaches" and highly paid ones at that so take the guys we have and make them better individually and collectively please Ron, it's your job. Early signs are good, I'm not remotely depressed about yesterday.

Pre Mohsiri we would say this was a solid window without being spectacular but given what they have said throughout the summer (Mohsiri/Bill/Koeman) and the money now available to us and the rest of the league with the TV money, you have to say that it has been poor.

If we have a run of injuries to our starters then our first team pool is really weak in a lot of important positions such as up front and an attacking midfielder, GK and left back aren't too strong either.

United had one of the best windows and did all their business VERY early. It's paying dividends.

Much easier when you have money and you are in Europe though. Like Witsel, if you receive a bid early in the window from a Non-European Cup team, you will always play for time to see if one will come in later for you. So for a club like Everton in our position it's very difficult to get your business done early. The better the player the less chance.

The only other option is to do it the Chelsea way when Abramovich first came in and spend eye watering amounts of money in comparison to other clubs and massive agent fees to overcome the non-European cup issue. We're financially sound, but I don't think we're going to take th Chelsea/Abramovich approach. It would probably have taken about £400m to spend this Transfer Window to have the impact of that first season when Chelsea broke the £100m barrier for the first time.

Edited by Trigger

Can't believe a Telegraph journalist wrote "adverse" when they meant "averse" :rolleyes:. What's the World coming to?

Actually the whole line is gibberish!

"After all, Newcastle are never been adverse to selling their best players..."

Tweeted him that it was wrong and he's edited it to, "After all, Newcastle have never been adverse to selling their best players..." so it's still wrong :lol:.