IGNORED

Shepherd's Pie

markjazzbassist

I love this stuff, my neighbors growing up used to make it and when i'd eat over at their place i'd eat the whole lot of it. My wife is going to make some at my request and I wanted to see some good recipes. How do you like your shepherd's pie?

I believe it originated in the UK, so feel free to share your stories.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Went from being my worst nightmare school dinner in the sixties (those cooks/dinnerladies were sadists I swear) to one of my favourites. Not a carrot fan so always substituted mushrooms, good splash of Worcestershire sauce essential! Actually preferred the potato to be "crushed" rather than full on mashed, but that's just a texture thing.

Lamb is to expensive over here but I still prefer fake Scouse if I'm going to make anything

Lamb is ridiculously priced in the UK - how? doesn't make sense. Pity as its possibly my favourite meat. One of my favourite ever meals - Lamb chops in zante, chargrilled with lemon to squeeze over, I could have eaten 50 of them.

Cottage pie is like lasagne to me - a dish for a family of 8 can be consumed by just myself in 30 minutes - I just can't get full up by it. Must be the G.I or something.

Lamb is ridiculously priced in the UK - how? doesn't make sense. Pity as its possibly my favourite meat. One of my favourite ever meals - Lamb chops in zante, chargrilled with lemon to squeeze over, I could have eaten 50 of them.

Cottage pie is like lasagne to me - a dish for a family of 8 can be consumed by just myself in 30 minutes - I just can't get full up by it. Must be the G.I or something.

Depends on your point of view. When I come home, I've no issues with spending £20 on a 2kg leg, simply because here the equivilant is over £100!

It's all tasty..I love it..like haf I can eat a family sized easy..advantage of being monster sized eh man :lol:

there are certain things I will not order in restaurants because the portions will always disappoint:-

lasagne

chilli

cottage pie

pasta dishes in general

It's all tasty..I love it..like haf I can eat a family sized easy..advantage of being monster sized eh man :lol:

Digressing. That reminded me of a time when I was travelling back to Lincolnshire with a workmate. We had been delayed and decided to stop for an evening meal at a country pub. We both ordered steak pie and they served us a large pot of vegetables and a steak pie in a tin bowl. When the waitress had gone we looked at the steak pie, looked at each other and said 'we're never going to eat all that'. The waitress then came back with my pie!

Digressing. That reminded me of a time when I was travelling back to Lincolnshire with a workmate. We had been delayed and decided to stop for an evening meal at a country pub. We both ordered steak pie and they served us a large pot of vegetables and a steak pie in a tin bowl. When the waitress had gone we looked at the steak pie, looked at each other and said 'we're never going to eat all that'. The waitress then came back with my pie!

sounds amazing - tell me the name of the place... "desperate dans?"

When/where were you in Zante Haf? It's my second home (or it would be if I could afford to buy somewhere out there!).

Food over there is incredible.

When/where were you in Zante Haf? It's my second home (or it would be if I could afford to buy somewhere out there!).

Food over there is incredible.

2011 - stayed in a place called Tregaki near Tsilivi, the hotel was awesome - a local run one that is just outside the hustle and bustle.

http://www.onirostudios.gr/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g775851-d1220041-Reviews-Oniro_The_Dream_Studios-Tsilivi_Zakynthos_Ionian_Islands.html

the reviews say it all - amazing chilled holiday. It was the holiday where I popped the question to my wife. Will look to go back in time - the issue is that its more for a chill out couples and the boys are too little. Really cheap to stay at the time - Aaron Ramsey's mum was there at the time we were. Goes to show - its the quality not the £££.

The owners took us up to a restaurant at the top of the hill - had a meze, couldn't move. Absolutely stuffed.... yes - greek food I love... (aside from seafood)

Edited by Hafnia

Sounds like a perfect place for me and haf :rofl:

I'm the same on the ordering..similar dishes too..could eat lasagne til it came out my nose

2011 - stayed in a place called Tregaki near Tsilivi, the hotel was awesome - a local run one that is just outside the hustle and bustle.

http://www.onirostudios.gr/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g775851-d1220041-Reviews-Oniro_The_Dream_Studios-Tsilivi_Zakynthos_Ionian_Islands.html

the reviews say it all - amazing chilled holiday. It was the holiday where I popped the question to my wife. Will look to go back in time - the issue is that its more for a chill out couples and the boys are too little. Really cheap to stay at the time - Aaron Ramsey's mum was there at the time we were. Goes to show - its the quality not the £££.

The owners took us up to a restaurant at the top of the hill - had a meze, couldn't move. Absolutely stuffed.... yes - greek food I love... (aside from seafood)

Sounds great, away from the hustle and bustle is what we always go for; about five/six miles up the coast from you though...

http://www.tassos-marios.gr/en-accommodation-alykanas.php

A few ex pats out there when we went. But yes the food.... mouths watering now.

We're going off topic here but 90% of the expats wind me up so much. They make no effort to learn the language, stick to their own little clubs. eat English food whenever possible and criticize the locals, while at the the same time saying the reason they left Britain is because of the influx of immigrants (they tend to use more abusive terms) not integrating and learning English. Too stupid to notice the blatant double standards.

We're going off topic here but 90% of the expats wind me up so much. They make no effort to learn the language, stick to their own little clubs. eat English food whenever possible and criticize the locals, while at the the same time saying the reason they left Britain is because of the influx of immigrants (they tend to use more abusive terms) not integrating and learning English. Too stupid to notice the blatant double standards.

I agree with that and find that Brits overseas fall into one of two categories: Those who embrace the local culture and language; those who refuse to do so. The latter, unfortunately, also tend to be rather arrogant. Some of my worst business experiences overseas have involved British business people - but so have some of my best experiences.