IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

I don’t like Pickford particularly. Decent enough keeper but massively overhyped as he is ‘England’s number one’ and I think that’s gone to his head a little and rather than flourish in this he’s plateaued. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over him leaving and think there’s plenty who could replace him quite easily and for a lot less money.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not in my book... misplaced arrogance stinks a side out - I don't give a shit who it is.

Mirallas, eto, lukaku, Ashley Williams, pickford, schneiderlein, Delph,  we've been crammed full of them.   No wonder our team has had a dodgy mentality. 

Haf, you’ve already made your mind up on him. No amount of good Pickford does will change your mind. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Haf, you’ve already made your mind up on him. No amount of good Pickford does will change your mind. 

i hope Carlo has a word end of this year and Jordan does some soul searching this summer.  i would love for him to come back with a better attitude.  really would.  sadly i just don't see it.  anytime we play newcastle it will be a shit show.  mackem for like and all that.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you can see the fans preferences for him.  in the english parlance, "being a tit" is ok for pickford, but not for morgan and delph.  the double standard is telling.

I’m not sure any of them have been accused of the same thing. And certainly no English parlance from me. 

Pickford was being a knob on a night out. 
Delph was in idiot on social media. 
Morgan had an issue on the training ground about two years ago. 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I don’t like Pickford particularly. Decent enough keeper but massively overhyped as he is ‘England’s number one’ and I think that’s gone to his head a little and rather than flourish in this he’s plateaued. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over him leaving and think there’s plenty who could replace him quite easily and for a lot less money.

Please give some examples who could replace him easily for a lot less money. 

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hope Carlo has a word end of this year and Jordan does some soul searching this summer.  i would love for him to come back with a better attitude.  really would.  sadly i just don't see it.  anytime we play newcastle it will be a shit show.  mackem for like and all that.

Please give some in-depth detail on the issue with his attitude, with examples. Because I just don’t see it. 
Ive seen him make the odd mistake, but nothing that suggests he has a bad attitude. If he did I believe Southgate wouldn’t have him near his England team. 

No ones calling pickford Shit - I think a few have just pointed out a few areas he could work on ( that don’t seem to be improving ) which are holding him back from reaching his potential - which would have him right up there.

To be fair - he was much, much better against Newcastle this year away than last year. Lesson learnt there hopefully!

35 minutes ago, StevO said:

Please give some examples who could replace him easily for a lot less money. 

On the basis that I don’t particularly like him or think he’s as good as many think -

Pope - better ‘old fashioned’ goalkeeper but his distribution is poor.

Henderson - although he seems a bit of a div.

Dubrovka - I was very impressed when they had him on-loan, made a couple of mistakes recently but don’t most keepers?

Ryan - solid keeper.

Schmichel is the ideal keeper in my opinion - top keeper and excellent distribution - seems a really steady character. He’s much older and not realistic though.

There will plenty of keepers in other leagues, who I’m not aware of that are more than capable and if we got £50m + for Pickford, I’d be confident that we’d be able to replace him for a lot cheaper and not be any worse off because of it.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've changed my mind on lots of players..... I liked the lad to start with.  Since the middle of last season I noticed that the world cup had done some irreparable ego damage to him.

Sadly this is the game....  talent has a chance if attitude allows it.  Unfortunately attitude can take a nose dive. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I've changed my mind on lots of players..... I liked the lad to start with.  Since the middle of last season I noticed that the world cup had done some irreparable ego damage to him.

Sadly this is the game....  talent has a chance if attitude allows it.  Unfortunately attitude can take a nose dive. 

Can we have some examples of his attitude?

I don’t mean footballing mistakes, I don’t mean behaviour, I’d like to see some examples of his poor attitude. 

There must be plenty. But his managers haven’t seemed to have an issue. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

But he played really well at Newcastle, and you cant blame him for collective brain fart at GP against them.

He is a quality young keeper and he is going to get better.

What is wrong with his attitude specifically, like StevO says ?

5 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m not sure any of them have been accused of the same thing. And certainly no English parlance from me. 

Pickford was being a knob on a night out. 
Delph was in idiot on social media. 
Morgan had an issue on the training ground about two years ago. 

pickford winding up the newcastle fans instead of staying focused on the match.  he let it get to him.  i don't care about the night on the town, i'm talking in game stuff with newcastle.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Can we have some examples of his attitude?

I don’t mean footballing mistakes, I don’t mean behaviour, I’d like to see some examples of his poor attitude. 

There must be plenty. But his managers haven’t seemed to have an issue. 

Poor attitude? Try games against Newcastle or Liverpool where he can't concentrate on the game and engages in a ridiculous battle with fans.  I can name 3 games against these sides where his animated/erratic displays of bravado coincided with him gifting points away.  

Telling his captain to fuck off when being told to come off his line to claim a corner....

Getting involved in a fight in some ropey pub in Sunderland. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Poor attitude? Try games against Newcastle or Liverpool where he can't concentrate on the game and engages in a ridiculous battle with fans.  I can name 3 games against these sides where his animated/erratic displays of bravado coincided with him gifting points away.  

Telling his captain to fuck off when being told to come off his line to claim a corner....

The moment he was telling Coleman where to go after Digne wanted him to come collect a ball that went well into his 18 yard box ( played inside the opposition half ) was a bit poor as well.

40 minutes ago, Btay said:

The moment he was telling Coleman where to go after Digne wanted him to come collect a ball that went well into his 18 yard box ( played inside the opposition half ) was a bit poor as well.

He does it all the time.  He can't be told anything.  Zouma, Coleman, holgate, Gana, Baines, sidebe......  I've clocked each of them being told to fuck off..... it results in a shake of the head as if they are wasting their breathe. 

Pickford admitted he shouldn't of got involved with the crowd and in the last two games against Newcastle he didn't. 

He is not perfect but he is bloody good for such a young keeper. He will continue to learn and improve under Carlo. 

We should be supporting him, his goalkeeping skills have saved us many, many times.

Remember all goalkeepers are mad anyway!

Funny that Southall gets lauded. Not saying Pickford is the same quality of him but Nev was a massive prick.

As far as I'm concerned the names put forward in here (other than Schmeichel, who is unrealistic as a replacement) aren't as good as Pickford. Talk of accepting £40m is laughable because the bidding wouldn't even start that low. I don't give a shit if he's a gobby bastard and tells Coleman to fuck off - if that's what it takes for him to keep his confidence up then so be it. Just because he does that doesn't mean that he hasn't actually taken the criticism on board. 

He's a very good goalkeeper who is improving all the time, and is learning all the time. He still has room for improvement but I find that quite positive because he's already right up there now. The most important thing is that he still has plenty of time to make those improvements and, do you know what? I want him to be an Everton player when he makes those improvements.

Does Pickford really need Coleman or anyone to tell him something he already knows (and most likely pissed at himself anyway because of it). 

Only thing the others should be getting on his back for is when he's too rash getting the ball out when the lads could do with a breather or to try and take the wind out of the opposition. 

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

pickford winding up the newcastle fans instead of staying focused on the match.  he let it get to him.  i don't care about the night on the town, i'm talking in game stuff with newcastle.

So one game then? Where the fans abuse him and he reacted? 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Please name the three games. 

Personally got no issue with players having a go at each other. 

Was this the occasion he got into a fight with the lads who were calling his pregnant girlfriend or a different one?

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Does Pickford really need Coleman or anyone to tell him something he already knows (and most likely pissed at himself anyway because of it). 

Only thing the others should be getting on his back for is when he's too rash getting the ball out when the lads could do with a breather or to try and take the wind out of the opposition. 

Exactly this!!

I’ve seen examples here of him making mistakes in matches and of behaviour that’s not perfect. I’ve still seen nothing to suggest he has an attitude problem. 

I’ve seen Koeman, Sam, Silva, Carlo and Southgate all pick him. Each one could have looked for a replacement but haven’t brought one in. People who see him every day have stuck by him. 

Carlo could have gone and brought in a keeper in January but clearly didn’t want to. If he had an issue with him he would surely have brought in another, but we were barely even linked with any. When asked about it Carlo said ...

"I read that I'm looking for a goalkeeper, this is not true.

"I have a great goalkeeper, who is the goalkeeper of the national team."

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Have you ever played?! Fuck off is just language! If I tell you to fuck off, are you going to take it personally?

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Please name the three games. 

Personally got no issue with players having a go at each other. 

Was this the occasion he got into a fight with the lads who were calling his pregnant girlfriend or a different one?

Newcastle away.... rugby tackled Rondon .. lucky not to get carded. Shushing Newcastle fans,  ran out to clear a ball missed it, Newcastle nearly scored - pulled tongue at the fans 

Liverpool.... spent most the game kicking off as far as he could, rushing out making rash decisions as the Liverpool fans were goading him.... ended up gifting them a goal. 

Newcastle home 2 weeks ago.... up to his usual nonsense with their fans.  At fault for last 2 goals with a couple of other players.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Funny that Southall gets lauded. Not saying Pickford is the same quality of him but Nev was a massive prick.

As far as I'm concerned the names put forward in here (other than Schmeichel, who is unrealistic as a replacement) aren't as good as Pickford. Talk of accepting £40m is laughable because the bidding wouldn't even start that low. I don't give a shit if he's a gobby bastard and tells Coleman to fuck off - if that's what it takes for him to keep his confidence up then so be it. Just because he does that doesn't mean that he hasn't actually taken the criticism on board. 

He's a very good goalkeeper who is improving all the time, and is learning all the time. He still has room for improvement but I find that quite positive because he's already right up there now. The most important thing is that he still has plenty of time to make those improvements and, do you know what? I want him to be an Everton player when he makes those improvements.

Southall was a consummate professional who worked his plums off to levels no keepers could even do.

He was abrupt, arrogant, assertive but he is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen.  Schmichael not even close to him.  Southall didn't even notice the crowd, he didn't make stupid "look At me" dives,  he collected the ball one handed in situations that pickford couldn't do with 2.  Most of all he had the respect of his defence and was an awesome presecene. Not just a foul mouth who couldn't be wrong. 

Anyone who thinks differently never seen him in 85 to 88 when there was no one near him. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

That would be one excuse if he wasn't actually arguing and telling the defender it was their ball...... but yeah let's reinvent the situation to suit the reaction. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

I’ve seen examples here of him making mistakes in matches and of behaviour that’s not perfect. I’ve still seen nothing to suggest he has an attitude problem. 

I’ve seen Koeman, Sam, Silva, Carlo and Southgate all pick him. Each one could have looked for a replacement but haven’t brought one in. People who see him every day have stuck by him. 

Carlo could have gone and brought in a keeper in January but clearly didn’t want to. If he had an issue with him he would surely have brought in another, but we were barely even linked with any. When asked about it Carlo said ...

"I read that I'm looking for a goalkeeper, this is not true.

"I have a great goalkeeper, who is the goalkeeper of the national team."

I think a few players have an X above their name in his little black book and are blissfully unaware that brands is likely to be making other clubs aware that we will be looking to sell 

Maybe not pickford....yet. but I think he will be.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Have you ever played?! Fuck off is just language! If I tell you to fuck off, are you going to take it personally?

I played for 12 years at a decent enough level..... you say fuck off when you disagree and someone is having a go yeah.......  that's not the point.  He gets told he should be out for the ball - when it was a 100% that he should. And he replies fuck off.

Calvert Lewin told him to take some off his daft kicks that went straight to the opponents keeper..... he got a fuck off too.