Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
duncanmckenzieismagic

Jordan Pickford

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

He’s a scally, a chav, whatever you want to call him. He’s typical of lads of his type. Maybe you just don’t spend much time around lads that age now, but there are plenty out there, as unsavoury as they may be. 

Fuck me wake up will you? You never been around rugby players? His behaviour isn’t the problem it’s the timescales of getting a new manager 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StevO said:

He’s a scally, a chav, whatever you want to call him. He’s typical of lads of his type. Maybe you just don’t spend much time around lads that age now, but there are plenty out there, as unsavoury as they may be. 

I'm 43.... at 25 I got pissed, stoned and nearly bled to death after being a dickhead. So I'm well aware of being 25. 

The point I'm making is that these lads are on short well paid careers.   Go out and have a pint.... don't be a dick though.   He won't need to do something that I did to learn his lesson.... that incident in Newcastle should have been enough of a lesson.

The lad is a bit of a hothead, he engages with opposition fans, he can't help it... He loves being "out there". For me he needs to reign it in a bit. 

For me I've seen enough of him to make me think "he doesn't listen.... more so refuses to". The other day he needed to clear a ball and stayed back - digne called him on it. He told him to piss off, then it took Coleman to do it and he refused his advice.  I can't help thinking he's his own worst enemy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I can.... cos I'm well weathered in all sorts of venues!  

To me... to go to bars like the one he went to when he got in a huge kick off suggests he loves attention.  

It didnt take long.... a knife pulled on me in a taxi rank,  a 55 year old bloke kicking off cos his wife smiled at me.... to realise that some places just aren't right.

Not saying the darts is that place but the footage of his behaviour justbreeks of "I'm a nobhead feel free to kick off"

 

 

Haf that’s his choice to be fair as it was yours, you have to let people live their lives and make their own decisions and mistakes, none of us on here should be standing in judgement on a young lad out with his mates getting pissed up and having fun, if that is a problem for Everton or England they will deal with it, but as we have as yet not heard any rumblings we can only assume there is no issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Palfy said:

Haf that’s his choice to be fair as it was yours, you have to let people live their lives and make their own decisions and mistakes, none of us on here should be standing in judgement on a young lad out with his mates getting pissed up and having fun, if that is a problem for Everton or England they will deal with it, but as we have as yet not heard any rumblings we can only assume there is no issue. 

I suppose we can question his judgement.... cos essentially he represents our club. 

He isn't gonna get sold for it or booed, it just points to a worrying mindset and maybe one that indicates we need to get some serious competition for his place to make him knuckle down and show less arrogance.

Talented shot stopper - I just have concerns over his judgement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I suppose we can question his judgement.... cos essentially he represents our club. 

He isn't gonna get sold for it or booed, it just points to a worrying mindset and maybe one that indicates we need to get some serious competition for his place to make him knuckle down and show less arrogance.

Talented shot stopper - I just have concerns over his judgement. 

I personally don’t stand in judgement because I have done a lot worse, even when older and so say wiser than him, so that would make me hypocrite and that wouldn’t sit well with me. 
He has a multitude of support a round him to give him a good advice when needed and also to reprimand him when required. 
But he is No1 for us No1 for England and made a worldie on top of a couple of good saves the other day, so he’s doing something right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

What aren’t u getting? Rooney was in the papers not because he had a drink. Rooney got in the papers from what the end result was. Getting knocked out, shagging about.

Any big name England players doing something wrong becomes news. The fact it’s not on the back pages means it’s a nothing issue. If it is an issue the club will handle it, and as they seem to not be doing anything I suspect outside of you and Haf no one else is bothered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Fuck me wake up will you? You never been around rugby players? His behaviour isn’t the problem it’s the timescales of getting a new manager 

I don’t need to wake up. The lad was out on Saturday and back in training today. He might have had only a couple of drinks. Stop fucking hanging the lad without any evidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StevO said:

No one loves giving Everton and Everton players shit more than Evertonians. 

Very true. I don’t give players shit for what they do in their personal life’s, but I give them plenty when they aren’t playing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JimmytheJimster said:

He has one night out on the piss with his mates and everybody's head falls off, I was like that every weekend in my 20s.

Lightweight, I was like that every day in my twenties:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Fuck me wake up will you? You never been around rugby players? His behaviour isn’t the problem it’s the timescales of getting a new manager 

Ancient history that if you're talking about elite level. In the past for sure there was a big drinking culture, had a couple of mate who played a decent level, but nowadays it's all changed. English Premiership players are a totally different level of athlete (I've met a few of the Exeter lads) and I'm pretty sure their lifestyle and discipline is at least on a par with PL footballers, probably a higher bar in fact.

Local club rugby may still involve a lot of hedonism (I don't know) but Jordan's not a pub league player.

I don't think he should be disciplined in any way but I'm with Haf (unusually) in that I really don't think it's a good position to put yourself in. Giving it the big "I am" (pissed or not) I just don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Palfy said:

Working on that basis most of us are tits, and some bigger than others😙

We nearly all go out once a week or fortnight and have a laugh, he goes out once in a blue moon and enjoys himself and gets slated. 
As far as I’m aware there’s been no condemnation from the club his country or his managers, probably because there’s nothing to moan about, a young man having fun with a load of people also out to have some fun. 
How shocking I mustn’t forget to complain to the stop people enjoying themselves Police 😀

Exactly. It’s just some of us are man enough to admit we have acted like tits.... while some of us just don’t have the minerals.

Myself, I have been a massive tit in the past at times. But now I have to behave like a role model to my children as i want them to grow up as a better version of me. 
 
But your replying to my comments, even though I have said I have no problem with him doing it??? 
You really do love me don’t you haha xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Exactly. It’s just some of us are man enough to admit we have acted like tits.... while some of us just don’t have the minerals.

Myself, I have been a massive tit in the past at times. But now I have to behave like a role model to my children as i want them to grow up as a better version of me. 
 
But your replying to my comments, even though I have said I have no problem with him doing it??? 
You really do love me don’t you haha xxx

I do mate x. 
Merry Christmas and no drinking or singing 👍😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Ancient history that if you're talking about elite level. In the past for sure there was a big drinking culture, had a couple of mate who played a decent level, but nowadays it's all changed. English Premiership players are a totally different level of athlete (I've met a few of the Exeter lads) and I'm pretty sure their lifestyle and discipline is at least on a par with PL footballers, probably a higher bar in fact.

Local club rugby may still involve a lot of hedonism (I don't know) but Jordan's not a pub league player.

I don't think he should be disciplined in any way but I'm with Haf (unusually) in that I really don't think it's a good position to put yourself in. Giving it the big "I am" (pissed or not) I just don't like.

My last place of work sponsored Sale Sharks, I watched them train at our place then seen them in the cafe.....  I couldn't get over how precise everything was.  

Even the likes of Sheridan who is a monster had a specific serving of food, not a mass of it. Some look like they carry Body fat.....  they don't. Lean as you like. 17st sub 8% BF. 

Discipline in sport is ridiculous now. Cipriani who was there got into trouble a couple of weeks later for a drink related incident ... not sure if it was drink driving.  But I recall him getting suspended or sacked.

As I say pickford just seems to love attention, couple that with his fondness for certain types of places on his nights out and it's a potential problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Just wanted to pop in and say I learned something as an American.  “Chav” is what you English call it, in American English we would say “douchebag”.

 

another lesson from marks language corner.....

It's not quite the same thing, MJB. Chav has class connotations over here which I'm not sure douchebag has over in the US (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

douchebag is essentially white trash, or lower class poor white.  what is chav?

Chav is poor lower class thinking they are something else.

I totally agree with MJB, Chav is basically a bit of a knob, with high street brand clothes, thinking they are designer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

douchebag is essentially white trash, or lower class poor white.  what is chav?

That variant of douchebag is new to me. I would have gone with this:

 US Slang

an unpleasant, offensive, or contemptible person
 
Chav in the UK is more broadly on the lines you say.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Formby said:

Chav in the UK is more broadly on the lines you say.

I think that chav is more down to appearance and dress, certainly poorer white kids are more likely to fit the label but it's not exclusive to them. Burberry (for example) is chav central but far from cheap and out of the reach of most on jobseekers/minimum wage. Plenty of rich (or at least not poor) chavs around I think.

Though I hate to label people generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thought douchebag was like a dickhead?

I’ve read various things saying that and then going as far as saying it’s The only real racial slur for white people in America.  It means many different things apparently  
 

https://medium.com/the-secret-history-of-america/douchebag-the-white-racial-slur-weve-all-been-waiting-for-a2323002f85d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’ve read various things saying that and then going as far as saying it’s The only real racial slur for white people in America.  It means many different things apparently  
 

https://medium.com/the-secret-history-of-america/douchebag-the-white-racial-slur-weve-all-been-waiting-for-a2323002f85d

I've always heard the most derogatory thing you can call a white person is a "racist." 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I’d try and get the goalkeeper discussion on here, not Richarlison page!

Pickford is a good keeper with a few areas for improvement, no one is perfect of course, he’s a great shot and penalty stopper, needs to improve on command of area, kicking and controlling his head. 
For me he is a good as we could hope for at the moment, with room for improvement, if that doesn’t happen under Carlo in the next season or two then changes will be made, let’s see how Ryan, Dubravka, Guita and Schmichael do over the same period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t swap him for any one of the names mentioned. The only keeper that might realistically be in contention is the lad at Sheffield United but since he’s on loan from Man United (I think) any dealings would be expensive especially if De Gea finally moves on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you can see the fans preferences for him.  in the english parlance, "being a tit" is ok for pickford, but not for morgan and delph.  the double standard is telling.

There is a difference between making mistakes (Pickford) and being Morgan or Delph who are mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you can see the fans preferences for him.  in the english parlance, "being a tit" is ok for pickford, but not for morgan and delph.  the double standard is telling.

Not in my book... misplaced arrogance stinks a side out - I don't give a shit who it is.

Mirallas, eto, lukaku, Ashley Williams, pickford, schneiderlein, Delph,  we've been crammed full of them.   No wonder our team has had a dodgy mentality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Not in my book... misplaced arrogance stinks a side out - I don't give a shit who it is.

Mirallas, eto, lukaku, Ashley Williams, pickford, schneiderlein, Delph,  we've been crammed full of them.   No wonder our team has had a dodgy mentality. 

i think you and i are the only ones who aren't ok with jordan.  if he was spanish no one would give a shit about him, the english starting keeper bit gives him some hype (unjustified IMO).  Tim Howard was no different and he got loads of flak on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t like Pickford particularly. Decent enough keeper but massively overhyped as he is ‘England’s number one’ and I think that’s gone to his head a little and rather than flourish in this he’s plateaued. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over him leaving and think there’s plenty who could replace him quite easily and for a lot less money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not in my book... misplaced arrogance stinks a side out - I don't give a shit who it is.

Mirallas, eto, lukaku, Ashley Williams, pickford, schneiderlein, Delph,  we've been crammed full of them.   No wonder our team has had a dodgy mentality. 

Haf, you’ve already made your mind up on him. No amount of good Pickford does will change your mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Haf, you’ve already made your mind up on him. No amount of good Pickford does will change your mind. 

i hope Carlo has a word end of this year and Jordan does some soul searching this summer.  i would love for him to come back with a better attitude.  really would.  sadly i just don't see it.  anytime we play newcastle it will be a shit show.  mackem for like and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you can see the fans preferences for him.  in the english parlance, "being a tit" is ok for pickford, but not for morgan and delph.  the double standard is telling.

I’m not sure any of them have been accused of the same thing. And certainly no English parlance from me. 
 

Pickford was being a knob on a night out. 
Delph was in idiot on social media. 
Morgan had an issue on the training ground about two years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I don’t like Pickford particularly. Decent enough keeper but massively overhyped as he is ‘England’s number one’ and I think that’s gone to his head a little and rather than flourish in this he’s plateaued. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over him leaving and think there’s plenty who could replace him quite easily and for a lot less money.

Please give some examples who could replace him easily for a lot less money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hope Carlo has a word end of this year and Jordan does some soul searching this summer.  i would love for him to come back with a better attitude.  really would.  sadly i just don't see it.  anytime we play newcastle it will be a shit show.  mackem for like and all that.

Please give some in-depth detail on the issue with his attitude, with examples. Because I just don’t see it. 
Ive seen him make the odd mistake, but nothing that suggests he has a bad attitude. If he did I believe Southgate wouldn’t have him near his England team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No ones calling pickford Shit - I think a few have just pointed out a few areas he could work on ( that don’t seem to be improving ) which are holding him back from reaching his potential - which would have him right up there.

To be fair - he was much, much better against Newcastle this year away than last year. Lesson learnt there hopefully!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, StevO said:

Please give some examples who could replace him easily for a lot less money. 

On the basis that I don’t particularly like him or think he’s as good as many think -

Pope - better ‘old fashioned’ goalkeeper but his distribution is poor.

Henderson - although he seems a bit of a div.

Dubrovka - I was very impressed when they had him on-loan, made a couple of mistakes recently but don’t most keepers?

Ryan - solid keeper.

Schmichel is the ideal keeper in my opinion - top keeper and excellent distribution - seems a really steady character. He’s much older and not realistic though.

There will plenty of keepers in other leagues, who I’m not aware of that are more than capable and if we got £50m + for Pickford, I’d be confident that we’d be able to replace him for a lot cheaper and not be any worse off because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Haf, you’ve already made your mind up on him. No amount of good Pickford does will change your mind. 

I've changed my mind on lots of players..... I liked the lad to start with.  Since the middle of last season I noticed that the world cup had done some irreparable ego damage to him.

Sadly this is the game....  talent has a chance if attitude allows it.  Unfortunately attitude can take a nose dive. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I've changed my mind on lots of players..... I liked the lad to start with.  Since the middle of last season I noticed that the world cup had done some irreparable ego damage to him.

Sadly this is the game....  talent has a chance if attitude allows it.  Unfortunately attitude can take a nose dive. 

 

Can we have some examples of his attitude?

I don’t mean footballing mistakes, I don’t mean behaviour, I’d like to see some examples of his poor attitude. 
 

There must be plenty. But his managers haven’t seemed to have an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hope Carlo has a word end of this year and Jordan does some soul searching this summer.  i would love for him to come back with a better attitude.  really would.  sadly i just don't see it.  anytime we play newcastle it will be a shit show.  mackem for like and all that.

But he played really well at Newcastle, and you cant blame him for collective brain fart at GP against them.

He is a quality young keeper and he is going to get better.

What is wrong with his attitude specifically, like StevO says ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m not sure any of them have been accused of the same thing. And certainly no English parlance from me. 
 

Pickford was being a knob on a night out. 
Delph was in idiot on social media. 
Morgan had an issue on the training ground about two years ago. 

pickford winding up the newcastle fans instead of staying focused on the match.  he let it get to him.  i don't care about the night on the town, i'm talking in game stuff with newcastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, StevO said:

Can we have some examples of his attitude?

I don’t mean footballing mistakes, I don’t mean behaviour, I’d like to see some examples of his poor attitude. 
 

There must be plenty. But his managers haven’t seemed to have an issue. 

Poor attitude? Try games against Newcastle or Liverpool where he can't concentrate on the game and engages in a ridiculous battle with fans.  I can name 3 games against these sides where his animated/erratic displays of bravado coincided with him gifting points away.  

Telling his captain to fuck off when being told to come off his line to claim a corner....

Getting involved in a fight in some ropey pub in Sunderland. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Poor attitude? Try games against Newcastle or Liverpool where he can't concentrate on the game and engages in a ridiculous battle with fans.  I can name 3 games against these sides where his animated/erratic displays of bravado coincided with him gifting points away.  

Telling his captain to fuck off when being told to come off his line to claim a corner....

Getting involved in a fight in some ropey pub in Sunderland. 

 

 

The moment he was telling Coleman where to go after Digne wanted him to come collect a ball that went well into his 18 yard box ( played inside the opposition half ) was a bit poor as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Btay said:

The moment he was telling Coleman where to go after Digne wanted him to come collect a ball that went well into his 18 yard box ( played inside the opposition half ) was a bit poor as well.

He does it all the time.  He can't be told anything.  Zouma, Coleman, holgate, Gana, Baines, sidebe......  I've clocked each of them being told to fuck off..... it results in a shake of the head as if they are wasting their breathe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pickford admitted he shouldn't of got involved with the crowd and in the last two games against Newcastle he didn't. 

He is not perfect but he is bloody good for such a young keeper. He will continue to learn and improve under Carlo. 

We should be supporting him, his goalkeeping skills have saved us many, many times.

Remember all goalkeepers are mad anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that Southall gets lauded. Not saying Pickford is the same quality of him but Nev was a massive prick.

As far as I'm concerned the names put forward in here (other than Schmeichel, who is unrealistic as a replacement) aren't as good as Pickford. Talk of accepting £40m is laughable because the bidding wouldn't even start that low. I don't give a shit if he's a gobby bastard and tells Coleman to fuck off - if that's what it takes for him to keep his confidence up then so be it. Just because he does that doesn't mean that he hasn't actually taken the criticism on board. 

He's a very good goalkeeper who is improving all the time, and is learning all the time. He still has room for improvement but I find that quite positive because he's already right up there now. The most important thing is that he still has plenty of time to make those improvements and, do you know what? I want him to be an Everton player when he makes those improvements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Pickford really need Coleman or anyone to tell him something he already knows (and most likely pissed at himself anyway because of it). 

Only thing the others should be getting on his back for is when he's too rash getting the ball out when the lads could do with a breather or to try and take the wind out of the opposition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

pickford winding up the newcastle fans instead of staying focused on the match.  he let it get to him.  i don't care about the night on the town, i'm talking in game stuff with newcastle.

So one game then? Where the fans abuse him and he reacted? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Poor attitude? Try games against Newcastle or Liverpool where he can't concentrate on the game and engages in a ridiculous battle with fans.  I can name 3 games against these sides where his animated/erratic displays of bravado coincided with him gifting points away.  

Telling his captain to fuck off when being told to come off his line to claim a corner....

Getting involved in a fight in some ropey pub in Sunderland. 

 

 

Please name the three games. 
 

Personally got no issue with players having a go at each other. 
 

Was this the occasion he got into a fight with the lads who were calling his pregnant girlfriend or a different one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...