IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Unfortunately I think it's the players. For me it's the whole midfield don't compliment each other. Schneiderlin low on confidence goes hiding, Gana's positioning is criminal, Rooney and Sigurdssen are too slow to get in position especially without others making themselves options and Bolasie has no brain. Walcott was the only willing runner and Rooney and Davies the only ones to show for the ball. 

From last season, the amount of times Rooney took the ball off the toes of our centre halves just shows how pish we are moving the ball forward. Centre halfs don't have the confidence to pass it out as the midfield aren't showing for it. 

Piss. That is all. Unless you are Scottish. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

(Pedant alert) Can you save a goal? You can save a shot on goal but once you've saved it it's not a goal so therefore a goal can't be saved:P. And what came first, the chicken or the egg?

I tried to think of another way to word it that wasn’t so wordy as shot on goal since that sounded stupid, mostly as I knew you’d probably chime in. Thanks for the predictability.😑

11 minutes ago, patto said:

I thought we were trying to get away from paying silly wages there's actually no need to give him a new contract that should come with the teams improvement. 

He reason is if he is shown to excel in his position, then he deserves a rise... same as anyone in any role is t it?

1 minute ago, patto said:

Like we did with Martinez which was a big mistake ?

No, you shouldn’t copy mistakes you made in the past.

Pixkfors has performed excellently for us, you should judge him on his performances and the past, which is nothing to do with him.

Were  not a dinosaur company, we should treat players with respect.

1 hour ago, patto said:

Pickford won't stay because he's on mega bucks he will leave no matter how much he's on he was happy to sign a 5 year contract on 60 k a week that's plenty in my book until the team improves. 

So if you are the star asset in a team...any team...and new people are coming in to the team getting paid more than you but doing their role to a lesser standard, you wouldn't mind bring paid less?

7 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

So if you are the star asset in a team...any team...and new people are coming in to the team getting paid more than you but doing their role to a lesser standard, you wouldn't mind bring paid less?

Spurs have managed this in recent years... seems to have been shaken by the likes of Walker and now Rose and Alderwireld but it’s been well managed all the same.

Just now, c1982 said:

Spurs have managed this in recent years... seems to have been shaken by the likes of Walker and now Rose and Alderwireld but it’s been well managed all the same.

I think it's a different thing isn'tt it?

Spurs have a cap on their maximum salaries, but I doubt Kane gets paid less than that Dutch striker that seems to have disappeared since joining, for example.

And I'm sure that Kane, as the main man, is at the top of that salary cap.

Just now, Newty82 said:

I think it's a different thing isn'ttt it?

Spurs have a cap on their maximum salaries, but I doubt Kane gets paid less than that Dutch striker that seems to have disappeared since joining, for example.

And I'm sure that Kane, as the main man, is at the top of that salary cap.

He is now but that wasn’t always the case. Sure Sissoko was on a lot more than him when he signed.

Just now, Newty82 said:

Ha....isnt that exactly the point I'm making with Pickford?!!!

He wasn’t instantly paid that though... he was kept happy and motivated then earned it.

I wasn’t just referring to Kane - I was making reference to Spurs’ wage structure and how they keep their players despite not being the biggest payers and get relative success on the pitch.

Whereas I think Pickford should be one of our highest earners, we need to be careful with players like Sandro and Schneiderlin on so much - it’d be easy for most to make a case for parity with them - that’s when the financial difficulties can creep in.

13 minutes ago, c1982 said:

He wasn’t instantly paid that though... he was kept happy and motivated then earned it.

Exactly!!!!

This is what I am saying!!! But about Pickford. He's earned it!!!

Blimey this is hard work...Im off to kip, got to get up in an ever decreasing amount of hours...

2 hours ago, patto said:

I thought we were trying to get away from paying silly wages there's actually no need to give him a new contract that should come with the teams improvement. 

2 hours ago, patto said:

Pickford won't stay because he's on mega bucks he will leave no matter how much he's on he was happy to sign a 5 year contract on 60 k a week that's plenty in my book until the team improves. 

48 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

18 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Whereas I think Pickford should be one of our highest earners,

I’m saying we don’t need to rush this as, yes he seems like the star asset now but what if he has a poor season? We need to be careful as Pickford’s only done it for 1 season where he was good but not as good as the hype that surrounds him now after the World Cup. I was pointing out that Spurs kept players happy despite not being on huge wages. I don’t know about now but Lloris was on more than Kane. Other 1st team players, however good they are, like Alli and Davies are on way less. Spurs haven’t given those wages out straight away and they’ve kept the ship steady.

I’m not disagreeing with Newty, just making the point that, although he’s our star asset currently, we need to manage it on our terms as we could have another star asset next season and still finish 8th or so - it’ll soon add up if we’re following this model. The problem we’ve got is that we need to offer higher wages to tempt players here in the first place - Spurs have Champions League football, the lure of London, the fact that they’re at least competitive and now the new stadium.

I’d personally have pretty standard basic wages for 1st teamers then the rest is based on bonuses e.g wins, goals, clean sheets, assists - specific to the player. Sandro is rumoured to be on £120k a week here. We’d be better paying him £40k then he earns the rest with £40k at win, £20k a goal or assist etc... sad fact is that he’s probably got bonuses on top of that wage anyway.

12 hours ago, patto said:

If you’re convinced he’ll leave, it’s probably a good idea offering him a new contract with a daft wage plus massive release fee, like £100m. If someone matches the release fee, we get a massive payment for the sake of an increased wage. If no one comes in for him, we’ve got a very good keeper who’s still improving. It’s win win. 

6 hours ago, c1982 said:

I’m saying we don’t need to rush this as, yes he seems like the star asset now but what if he has a poor season? We need to be careful as Pickford’s only done it for 1 season where he was good but not as good as the hype that surrounds him now after the World Cup. I was pointing out that Spurs kept players happy despite not being on huge wages. I don’t know about now but Lloris was on more than Kane. Other 1st team players, however good they are, like Alli and Davies are on way less. Spurs haven’t given those wages out straight away and they’ve kept the ship steady.

I’m not disagreeing with Newty, just making the point that, although he’s our star asset currently, we need to manage it on our terms as we could have another star asset next season and still finish 8th or so - it’ll soon add up if we’re following this model. The problem we’ve got is that we need to offer higher wages to tempt players here in the first place - Spurs have Champions League football, the lure of London, the fact that they’re at least competitive and now the new stadium.

I’d personally have pretty standard basic wages for 1st teamers then the rest is based on bonuses e.g wins, goals, clean sheets, assists - specific to the player. Sandro is rumoured to be on £120k a week here. We’d be better paying him £40k then he earns the rest with £40k at win, £20k a goal or assist etc... sad fact is that he’s probably got bonuses on top of that wage anyway.

Yeah I know you weren't disagreeing, just seemed the same sort of point with different wording. One of those pointless back and forth conversations where the same thing is meant.

For the record, I like Spurs model. Fair play to them. They need to win something though to show that it really can work...otherwise?

Incidently, I don't mean that Pickford should be the top earner just that IF he is paid less than other first teamers, he should get paid more based on how he has done. This is more important IF Chelsea are circling, as we can insert some nice clauses in his contract and also show that we appreciate him. Might not work but a new longer contract equals a bigger fee!

There really is no reason not to offer him an improved contract if he is on £60k a week as I suspect he is.  The fact that he has 4 years remaining means fuck all.  I would be pissed off if I was a player of the year and someone who couldn't get in the first team was on twice as much.

We need to be careful and not throw money at players but this lad needs to be kept sweet. Structure it like £80k a week £30k a clean sheet. £20k win bonus.