Jump to content

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

His nationality is irrelevant. He’s been very good this season. Form over anything else

So was pickford before he got going with England, same with Hart. Same with Paul Robinson, Rob Green, David James......

Even David Seaman who had a rock solid temperament got tested as England's number 1.  

Henderson looks a better all round keeper than pickford.  Has a more assured mentality but I just don't like the burden of being the nation's keeper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We have at our club in Pickford one of the best young keepers in the country if not Europe, and most are looking to see who will be his best replacement as if he’s going to be sold some time soon.

 I can’t see it myself we have 5-6 other area's that need sorting out before we start looking at our keeper 🤷‍♂️

I don't.  I think Ancelotti knows quite clearly that a keeper isn't just a shot stopper.... it's the organising and trust of defence/command of area.

He's not gonna be swayed by a few works class stops amongst some pretty glaring errors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't.  I think Ancelotti knows quite clearly that a keeper isn't just a shot stopper.... it's the organising and trust of defence/command of area.

He's not gonna be swayed by a few works class stops amongst some pretty glaring errors. 

Well let’s see what Ancelotti thinks of him, because if what you have said is true his replacement will be bought in summer without fail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

So was pickford before he got going with England, same with Hart. Same with Paul Robinson, Rob Green, David James......

Even David Seaman who had a rock solid temperament got tested as England's number 1.  

Henderson looks a better all round keeper than pickford.  Has a more assured mentality but I just don't like the burden of being the nation's keeper 

Yeah, and i like him, but he’s done it for one season.

This is the last position we need to look at for a starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goalkeepers look better when you're not seeing them week after week. You don't see their little issues they have when you're not a fan of their club and only watch them sporadically.

When Howard was coming towards the end of his time with us fans of other clubs still thought he was brilliant for us. But we knew he was well on the downward curve but looked excellent at doing star jumps. Even when he was at his peak they didn't know he was beaten regularly from distance but we did.

Henderson, or whoever else you want to name as being better than Pickford, will have issues and negative points to their game as well but you'll only find them out if/when they sign for us and then you'll moan about those things too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Goalkeepers look better when you're not seeing them week after week. You don't see their little issues they have when you're not a fan of their club and only watch them sporadically.

When Howard was coming towards the end of his time with us fans of other clubs still thought he was brilliant for us. But we knew he was well on the downward curve but looked excellent at doing star jumps. Even when he was at his peak they didn't know he was beaten regularly from distance but we did.

Henderson, or whoever else you want to name as being better than Pickford, will have issues and negative points to their game as well but you'll only find them out if/when they sign for us and then you'll moan about those things too. 

As they say Rom you can’t please all the people all the time, but for those who think Pickford is a poor keeper and not good enough I feel there will be no pleasing, as you rightly say everyone has got good and bad points. 
For me we would find it hard to replace his good points and good man management and coaching can iron out his bad. 
Starting with a better defence and midfield will make a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well let’s see what Ancelotti thinks of him, because if what you have said is true his replacement will be bought in summer without fail. 

From what I've seen in keepers that Ancellotti has managed.... Dida, Buffon, Cech, neuer.... I don't think pickford is as safe as many think. 

For me he creates uncertainty in the defence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

From what I've seen in keepers that Ancellotti has managed.... Dida, Buffon, Cech, neuer.... I don't think pickford is as safe as many think. 

For me he creates uncertainty in the defence. 

There’s no doubts that Ancelotti has worked with some top keepers, and I wouldn’t think many keepers would be happy working behind our defence and midfield at the moment, but let’s wait and see personally I think he’s got the attributes to be a top class keeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

There’s no doubts that Ancelotti has worked with some top keepers, and I wouldn’t think many keepers would be happy working behind our defence and midfield at the moment, but let’s wait and see personally I think he’s got the attributes to be a top class keeper. 

Too many of us are quickly forgetting the keepers we had under Bobby Martin's!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2020 at 16:40, Hafnia said:

So was pickford before he got going with England, same with Hart. Same with Paul Robinson, Rob Green, David James......

Even David Seaman who had a rock solid temperament got tested as England's number 1.  

Henderson looks a better all round keeper than pickford.  Has a more assured mentality but I just don't like the burden of being the nation's keeper 

If we could trade Pickford to United for Henderson and cash, you can be sure that Pickford (as United goalie) would be England's #1. That's the way the system works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Goalkeepers look better when you're not seeing them week after week. You don't see their little issues they have when you're not a fan of their club and only watch them sporadically.

When Howard was coming towards the end of his time with us fans of other clubs still thought he was brilliant for us. But we knew he was well on the downward curve but looked excellent at doing star jumps. Even when he was at his peak they didn't know he was beaten regularly from distance but we did.

Henderson, or whoever else you want to name as being better than Pickford, will have issues and negative points to their game as well but you'll only find them out if/when they sign for us and then you'll moan about those things too. 

But the moaning would be bearable with a significant sum of cash in the bank for players in other positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

If we could trade Pickford to United for Henderson and cash, you can be sure that Pickford (as United goalie) would be England's #1. That's the way the system works.

He's currently England's number 1 while playing for Everton, and has been for a while now, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

But the moaning would be bearable with a significant sum of cash in the bank for players in other positions.

The moaning would be to bring in a new keeper to replace that one because he's not perfect. So not really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Palfy said:

As they say Rom you can’t please all the people all the time, but for those who think Pickford is a poor keeper and not good enough I feel there will be no pleasing, as you rightly say everyone has got good and bad points. 
For me we would find it hard to replace his good points and good man management and coaching can iron out his bad. 
Starting with a better defence and midfield will make a difference. 

I’d like to see another season ( if it happens ! ) where Carlo can bolster the defence and get to see what Pickford is really about and if he is as solid as we all want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the talk of saying that we should flog him the far bigger risk would be that he says he wants to go, or a bigger team come in with a bid and try it unsettles him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

If we could trade Pickford to United for Henderson and cash, you can be sure that Pickford (as United goalie) would be England's #1. That's the way the system works.

Fans get way too emotional on "x y z should be England keeper"..... stoke fans going all in on Butland,  Burnley on Pope etc.  

It's a load of bullshit.  If your club keeper gets selected because they are playing well for the club and continue to stay level headed and play well for the club and country then great....  the reality is that it is emotionally very taxing, requires huge maturity and mental strength.  Basically you become a target and most keepers of recent struggle to cope. 

Pickford for one protests too much "eye I'm mentally strong like, I won't make mistakes" .... walks on the pitch giving it large like Joe Hart.  Wrong... that's only heading one way like Joe Hart did. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, badaids said:

For all the talk of saying that we should flog him the far bigger risk would be that he says he wants to go, or a bigger team come in with a bid and try it unsettles him.

Like who? What team would want him at the moment?   His save percentages and errors leading to goals make statistically one of the worst in the league.   

Good goalkeepers get bought - no messing about.... there is only one keeper you can have in a team at one time and the pool of keepers playing at the top league level league is around 100 across Europe.  Realistically there are around 30 keepers that the top sides would even look at and they need to be better than what they have got.

Pickford isn't one of those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Like who? What team would want him at the moment?   His save percentages and errors leading to goals make statistically one of the worst in the league.   

Good goalkeepers get bought - no messing about.... there is only one keeper you can have in a team at one time and the pool of keepers playing at the top league level league is around 100 across Europe.  Realistically there are around 30 keepers that the top sides would even look at and they need to be better than what they have got.

Pickford isn't one of those. 

Well appearances for club and country would say that’s not the case, maybe you could argue that at club level there hasn’t been much option to leave him out, bar buy another keeper which hasn’t happened with the last few managers, so one can only presume that they are happy with him in that position and they have more urgent needs than replacing a perfectly good keeper. 
With the country Southgate has had ample opportunity to replace him but hasn’t, so I can only take from that that he and his coaching staff believe he is the right man for the number one spot, so I will bow down to there better judgment on this one at the moment, but that’s not to say it won’t change in the future and that goes for both directions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This discussion started with comments about him not being worth 90m. And like usual, many of us have turned the argument into something else haha.

Now he’s not good enough.

everyone doesn’t need to believe he is top class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

This discussion started with comments about him not being worth 90m. And like usual, many of us have turned the argument into something else haha.

Now he’s not good enough.

everyone doesn’t need to believe he is top class.

Where have you been self isolating 😷😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Where have you been self isolating 😷😉

Missus is a nurse mate. Have to be more careful than most. But missing footy so much.

She was sick to death of me moping around on the first Saturday haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Missus is a nurse mate. Have to be more careful than most. But missing footy so much.

She was sick to death of me moping around on the first Saturday haha.

I know mate it’s not good is it, I must sympathise with your better half having you moping around can’t be good😉
How is it effecting the kids you coach is that been stopped yet or are you still able to carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know mate it’s not good is it, I must sympathise with your better half having you moping around can’t be good😉
How is it effecting the kids you coach is that been stopped yet or are you still able to carry on. 

We’ve stopped it for the time being. They are struggling to understand at the moment and keep asking when we’re playing again 🙁

Im an emotional wreck over this haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Pass on our thanks for what she and her colleagues are doing.

Really appreciate it Gwlad. It’s incredible the work they are doing at the moment. I will be sure to show her this as she needs a boost at the moment.

Obviously I can’t say too much, but when your life long partner comes back from work each day in tears, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do to help, it’s tough to watch. 
 

I thought it was tough being an Everton supporter haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Chatted to an NHS worker parked next to me at supermarket on Friday. Done a long shift in intensive care, couldn't get half what she needed. Words can't express how I felt.

 

The world has gone mad mate. I think we will need a complete and drastic lockdown just to be able to help the NHS staff. 
Too many idiots still going out. I’ve heard of people having barbecues on Otterspool today, but there aren’t enough police to take care of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StevO said:

The world has gone mad mate. I think we will need a complete and drastic lockdown just to be able to help the NHS staff. 
Too many idiots still going out. I’ve heard of people having barbecues on Otterspool today, but there aren’t enough police to take care of it. 

Got bread and loo roll (last pack on the shelf) from our local One Stop earlier and the lass behind the counter was mad as hell; she said she'd had unaccompanied kids coming in all day buying sweets, wtf is the matter with some people? I mean the parents obviously, not the kids.

How did we end up talking about this in the Pickford thread?:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Got bread and loo roll (last pack on the shelf) from our local One Stop earlier and the lass behind the counter was mad as hell; she said she'd had unaccompanied kids coming in all day buying sweets, wtf is the matter with some people? I mean the parents obviously, not the kids.

How did we end up talking about this in the Pickford thread?:unsure:

I don’t know but keep don’t get rid 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should just pick these posts out and put them in a new thread. 

i think it deserves it, and to stay in general Everton as this is the busiest area of the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Got bread and loo roll (last pack on the shelf) from our local One Stop earlier and the lass behind the counter was mad as hell; she said she'd had unaccompanied kids coming in all day buying sweets, wtf is the matter with some people? I mean the parents obviously, not the kids.

How did we end up talking about this in the Pickford thread?:unsure:

As you know Mike, I work in the motor trade. Today at 4:30 we still had three people trying to buy cars in the showroom. Also had people trying to get touch up pens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, StevO said:

As you know Mike, I work in the motor trade. Today at 4:30 we still had three people trying to buy cars in the showroom. Also had people trying to get touch up pens. 

wild.  circumstances like this show you what people really value in life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevO said:

Maybe we should just pick these posts out and put them in a new thread. 

i think it deserves it, and to stay in general Everton as this is the busiest area of the site. 

Call it Covid-19 lunacy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

wild.  circumstances like this show you what people really value in life.  

You are too diplomatic Mark. It shows me that the people of Manchester are fucking idiots 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevO said:

You are too diplomatic Mark. It shows me that the people of Manchester are fucking idiots 😂

The American equivalent is all the boomers complaining about their stocks losing so much money and worrying about the economy.  Who cares about money when human lives are on the line?  They do and it sickens me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

The American equivalent is all the boomers complaining about their stocks losing so much money and worrying about the economy.  Who cares about money when human lives are on the line?  They do and it sickens me

I understand some people talking about money as it’s key to survival - I’ve lost nearly everything I’ve worked FIFO for in the last 2 years on stocks and to be honest, that’s just how it is as it was always a risk.

Our government has put restrictions in on non essential services. For instance hair dressers can’t take more than 30 mins on a hair cut - they can’t make enough money to pay for their rents but the restrictions mean if they close its a voluntary close not an enforced one - to which they have to pay their rent still.

Honestly, lock it down. Everything that isn’t fighting this pandemic and essential. The economy will recover, eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MC11 said:

I don’t think Ancelotti trust him 100%

 

we shall see in the summer 

You are possibly right, but there’s a hell of a lot more to change before we look at the keeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...