IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

The lad is class, current rumour is £18 up front and the rest are performance / career related add ons which I think is far as it suits both parties. If it doesn't work our we only pay him £18mil (which is a fair price imo) and if it does we end up with a top notch English keeper worth more than double that.

Please just don't expect him to come in and be faultless!

Good goalkeepers are like rocking horse shit.

+1 to this. When there's an exceptional goalkeeping prospect available, you get him. People on other boards are saying "Butland is better" (I disagree), but he's at a Premier League club and he isn't for sale. Others are saying "City got that amazing keeper who nobody had heard of until a week ago but he has a cool-sounding foreign name so must be amazing". With keepers from other leagues (especially Portugal, a low level) you're taking a big risk.

I'm really happy with this. One position taken care of hopefully for the next 10 years. Plus, we have an English defense, and hopefully will for some time to come given the talent in it, so that'll help with communication.

Hope we get this done quickly. Arguably this is the most important position to get sorted - let him have as much time as possible to build a relationship with the defence.

Well he wont sign and have a medical until after he's done with the U21's so I expect this to drag a bit

Hope we get this done quickly. Arguably this is the most important position to get sorted - let him have as much time as possible to build a relationship with the defence.

Well he wont sign and have a medical until after he's done with the U21's so I expect this to drag a bit

Just in time for someone else to pop up!

You love him. We get it :P

I'm not arguing that it's not a lot of money, but we do need better than Joel or Stek.

It's not that. I know I rate him, but I'm not blinded by it.

Fact is, unless someone has watched both week in, week out, we'll never really know. All I'm saying is that they're both young keepers with potential that require a lot of game time to develop. One is on our books, one is going to cost a lot of money, taking budget away from other positions. My concern is that £20-30m isn't going to give a massive jump in quality, and that the money could be better spent reinforcing the defensive line (which is a must anyway) so the current keeper has less work to do.

Fact is, unless someone has watched both week in, week out, we'll never really know. All I'm saying is that they're both young keepers with potential that require a lot of game time to develop. One is on our books, one is going to cost a lot of money, taking budget away from other positions. My concern is that £20-30m isn't going to give a massive jump in quality, and that the money could be better spent reinforcing the defensive line (which is a must anyway) so the current keeper has less work to do.

We have scouts who will have watched him week in, week out once he was identified as a player we wanted. And the fact is, as much as you or I rate Joel, our manager, the one that picks the team, does not, and that is the be all and end all here.

We have scouts who will have watched him week in, week out once he was identified as a player we wanted. And the fact is, as much as you or I rate Joel, our manager, the one that picks the team, does not, and that is the be all and end all here.

This. And it's also not my (or your) money. Manager wants him, he pays what he thinks he's worth.

Edit: Even if I do think its too much.

Edited by Lowensda

I like him, but the problem with Joel is that you can guarantee he is going to make pretty basic mistakes and cost us goals. He will make some great saves as well that I wouldn't expect every keeper in the league to make but he makes more mistakes that lead to goals then brilliant saves that others couldn't make. He has had enough games now to really assess him. He is much better than Stek, streets better but from what I have seen of Pickford he is already at least as good as Joel, has half a season of Premier League footy under his belt and will only get better. He is commanding and a leader as well, plus he is English which will puts an extra few quid on his head and worth to your team.

Oh I know, just frustrating.

I like him, but the problem with Joel is that you can guarantee he is going to make pretty basic mistakes and cost us goals. He will make some great saves as well that I wouldn't expect every keeper in the league to make but he makes more mistakes that lead to goals then brilliant saves that others couldn't make. He has had enough games now to really assess him. He is much better than Stek, streets better but from what I have seen of Pickford he is already at least as good as Joel, has half a season of Premier League footy under his belt and will only get better. He is commanding and a leader as well, plus he is English which will puts an extra few quid on his head and worth to your team.

All keepers do though, even the best!

£30m for at least as good is a fuckton of cash for little/no improvement

Let's put this in perspective: This is the third highest fee ever paid, anywhere in the world, for a goalkeeper. How on earth can we justify that? If he was the best goalkeeper playing one of the best teams in the world, I could understand it, but his team came rock bottom. For sure, he looked good in many respects, but he's young and only played for one year in the Prem. This one almighty risk when we already have another young keeper with much more experience in this league.