IGNORED

Virgil van Dijk

Fair enough, but that's assuming Martinez rates Browning and/or Galloway enough to have them ready to step in.

Browning got a run out at Anfield so there's clearly some faith, and he did well considering the circumstances.

Browning got a run out at Anfield so there's clearly some faith, and he did well considering the circumstances.

Yeah, he looked okay. I just want to stress the difference between a player getting one 30 minute spell vs 90 minutes week in week out though.

Yeah, he looked okay. I just want to stress the difference between a player getting one 30 minute spell vs 90 minutes week in week out though.

No argument here. My point was more that he was given a run out in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's not our priority! :crying:

It should be with only 2 senior centre backs in the squad. Man C struggled last season because they didn't have enough cover in the position - it's important to have 4 competent centre backs. With the quality of Jags and Stones I think we can afford to have Galloway OR Browning as an option if we sign someone of van Dijk's quality. Imagine getting a couple of injuries and going into the season with Galloway and Browning at the back - we'd get torn to pieces. I hope both become 1st teamers eventually but centre back is not a position to chance.

Makes you realise we did pretty well to have a CB like heitinga sitting around for so long. He was a good back up.

I have no idea why he had so many detractors amongst the fans. He had a terrible 12/13 season, but was brilliant in 11/12 (player of the year, right?) and was a solid defender every other period.

Because even in his player of the year season, it was more his robust, no nonsense tackling more than his ability.

Whenever you looked close-by him he didn't look anywhere near our level..for me at least

He was a good, capable back up. Had his moments.

He was a good, capable back up. Had his moments.

He was the only player we've signed in ten years where I put the original post in Rumourama. People were creaming their pants at the prospect and over the moon when we signed him.

He did indeed have his moments, he was player of the season one year and he played in a World Cup final (though not all of it :unsure:).

Didn't live up to his potential here and faded at the end but I still have good memories. Loved his character/attitude.

He was the only player we've signed in ten years where I put the original post in Rumourama. People were creaming their pants at the prospect and over the moon when we signed him.

He did indeed have his moments, he was player of the season one year and he played in a World Cup final (though not all of it :unsure:).

Didn't live up to his potential here and faded at the end but I still have good memories. Loved his character/attitude.

Yeh I enjoyed him here, when he bumped Ashley Cole during that shootout with Chelsea, and his comments explaining how he was in the top 10 CB's in the world!

Back on topic, wouldn't mind this fella, could allow back 3 at times which for me is the way forward.

Yeh I enjoyed him here, when he bumped Ashley Cole during that shootout with Chelsea, and his comments explaining how he was in the top 10 CB's in the world!

Back on topic, wouldn't mind this fella, could allow back 3 at times which for me is the way forward.

Quality that was.

That brings me out in a cold sweat. Stop it.

can he defend though to get the ball.

10 mill seems a lot to me.

He can he's generally regarded as a good solid ball playing defender as said earlier similar to Stones in a few area's

Albeit the SPL being a fairly lower standard I'm positive he'd fill the void well if Stones left and he came in

I'm surprised he's not been snapped up already he'd suite Arsenal down to the ground imo

Van Dijk is fine and a real standout out at SPL level, but is horribly exposed when it comes to europe, 10 million is way too much and i fear he may be exposed being thrown stright in.

For that price i would prefer someone like scott dann that has experience in the premiership.

I hope we bring in a centre back as it is, or two if Stones leaves, but we do have Besic and although may scarer some Barry who could fill in in emergency situations.

Van Dijk is fine and a real standout out at SPL level, but is horribly exposed when it comes to europe, 10 million is way too much and i fear he may be exposed being thrown stright in.

For that price i would prefer someone like scott dann that has experience in the premiership.

I hope we bring in a centre back as it is, or two if Stones leaves, but we do have Besic and although may scarer some Barry who could fill in in emergency situations.

Signed a new deal recently. Was already likely to cost £8m+ with on a year to run. With the new contract, price is whatever Palace demand.