IGNORED

Football Aid 2017 at Goodison Park – The Ultimate Xmas Gift!

Maybe you had leg strength in there that needed to be coached out MC.

I don't do near enough exercise, but I manage a bit on the treadmill and bike two or three times a week and five a side once a week and I still struggle to get under a ten minute mile on a regular basis.

I train 5 times a week in the gym, I do legs Monday, shoulders triceps Tursday, Chest bieps Weds and back Thursday, and do a 5 mile walk 2 of those sessions on the treadmill. Friday I do HIT training on the treadmill and with kettle bells and a2000 meter fast row.

I had a great shape on me at one time, I used to train with Andy Holligan a while back and a couple of body builders then I got a bad back injury so stopped training. I went from 15 stone of mostly muscle to 17 stone almost. Finally sorted the back injury out but it took 3 years of being taken out the house in ambulances on stretchers and gas and air, tramadol, diazepam, codeine phosphate the lot. It really fucked me up for a while.

I'm back at it now and my back (touch wood) has no pain, I'm slowly getting back bit by bit but as you get older, the pounds get harder to shift and that strict diet gets harder to stick toI'll never get back to the shape I was in when I was younger but I'm enjoying being in the gym again and my strength is improving massively.

There you go again making stuff up.

If you haven't done any training for years you wont get fit in 12 weeks. You'll shed some weight but you wont be fit.

Maybe your definition of fit differs from mine. When you start you will shed weight super quick because you'll lose a lot of water retention but once that honeymoon period is over the weight loss will plateau and it gets harder to shed weight.

Losing 2 stone if you're overweight doesn't mean you are fit. It takes years of intense training, strict diet and discipline to be proper fit. If it took 12 weeks every fucker would be doing it in the blink of an eye.

losing 2 stone and running a decent time on a tread mill doesn't mean you're fit.

Keep in mind that I'm 33, 72kg and 174cm tall (BMI 23.8 which is in the healthy range for someone of my height apparently) so the aim isn't to lose fat. My initial aim is 45m of amateur footy. After that I might get up to "fit" fit, but for now it's just about enjoying the experience.

I'm hoping this is a catalyst for a change in lifestyle where I actually keep going and eat healthy, for the sake of the family as much as myself. But I'll never go back to a gym, can't stand the places

Cheers, Haf! I've got quite a few around me so was going to have to do that whether I wanted to or not :)

Keep in mind that I'm 33, 72kg and 174cm tall (BMI 23.8 which is in the healthy range for someone of my height apparently) so the aim isn't to lose fat. My initial aim is 45m of amateur footy. After that I might get up to "fit" fit, but for now it's just about enjoying the experience.

I'm hoping this is a catalyst for a change in lifestyle where I actually keep going and eat healthy, for the sake of the family as much as myself. But I'll never go back to a gym, can't stand the places

Cheers, Haf! I've got quite a few around me so was going to have to do that whether I wanted to or not :)

Personally I would be smashing the HIT (high intensity training) if I were you. Put the treadmill on 20 (or as fast as it will go) and start off running for 30 seconds and have 90 seconds off and do it for 15 minutes combined time then work up to as near to 30 seconds on 30 seconds off as you can.

Football is about short bursts of running, the rest is spent jogging around. Be careful on the old joints though mate, I know you're a bit of a Darren Anderton :P

Personally I would be smashing the HIT (high intensity training) if I were you. Put the treadmill on 20 (or as fast as it will go) and start off running for 30 seconds and have 90 seconds off and do it for 15 minutes combined time then work up to as near to 30 seconds on 30 seconds off as you can.

Football is about short bursts of running, the rest is spent jogging around. Be careful on the old joints though mate, I know you're a bit of a Darren Anderton :P

I make him look consistent! So many breaks and tears over the years I played - exercise is actually bad for my health :lol:

My plan is to run down to the castle, around and back to the park then home. It's about 3 miles (sister did it in 30 mins) and has a mix of flat, steep hills and gentle slopes. If I can get myself doing this without a break I'll be happy with myself.

matt any chance there will be a live feed so we can assess your all around game and offer critiques and stinging remarks?

highly doubt it but pretty sure there's a DVD being made that I'll order. Dunno if FAMan could confirm if putting it up on youtube would be allowed so I could share

I'll be playing RB, something I've not done before, though the few times I did play 11-a-side (3 games, 2 assists :)) I played RW. I'm hoping I'll emulate Seamus ;)

Though, like my dad was, I'm very much more like Ossie; not the fastest but I could role the biggest I came up against and had Velcro feet. Dad will be more like Barry nowadays, but at 57, I think that's allowed

Hes taking this so seriously. He was told in his early 30s he needed surgery on his knees because the cartiledge was non-existent. He refused because it would rule him out of footy (only stopped playing 2 years ago. I had the same approach when I broke my hip at 16; never be in pain and stop playing or painkillers and phsyio. Part of the reason I want to get fit is to make sure I don't get outrun by him :lol:

Edited by Matt

I'll be playing RB, something I've not done before, though the few times I did play 11-a-side (3 games, 2 assists :)) I'm hoping I'll emulate Seamus ;)

Though, like my dad was, I'm very much more like Ossie; not the fastest but I could role the biggest I came up against and had Velcro feet. Dad will be more like Barry nowadays, but at 57, I think that's allowed

Hes taking this so seriously. He was told in his early 30s he needed surgery on his knees because the cartiledge was non-existent. Part of the reason I want to get fit is to make sure I don't get outrun by him :lol:

I love the modern day fullback -- the ability to attack but also get stuck in. I play LB (LM/W mostly) sometimes in 7-a-sides. The hard part is the tracking back. :P

Edited by TonkaRoost

it will be fun to hear how it goes matt. RB maybe try and emulate hibbo more than seamus if you don't have the speed ;) can you cross? if you can swing a couple in the box and defend ok I'm sure you'll be fine.

ive got a cracking right foot, no left. My assists came from a corner and a running cross, so I'm hoping to repeat those at least 5/6 times ;)