IGNORED

Football Aid 2017 at Goodison Park – The Ultimate Xmas Gift!

Anyone who thinks they are fit inside 12 weeks put themself up against someone who's been training for years and you'll see you are not fit, just in better shape than you were. You'll be blowing out your arse 10 minutes into any session with someone who is really fit.

There's being in better shape and there's being fit. Being really fit where you are ripped, can run a marathon properly or have a fantastic physic takes a long time a LOT longer than 12 weeks.

12 weeks training will not be enough to achieve this, it might get someone through 45 minutes of football but you'll hardly be "fit" from 12 weeks training.

Edited by Paddock

I know what you mean Pad. I used to do cross fit four times a week, still couldn't shift that beer belly for ages. It's back with a vengeance now!

Steve, I remember doing circut training with Andy Holligan, granted he's a professional boxer but I'd been training for years, could run 10 miles on a treadmill and practically not brek sweat I had virtually 12% body fat and I thought I was really fit and he had me blowing out my arse in 10 minutes flat. I was sore for days afterwards.

Getting fitter than you were does not mean you are fit.

I think he just wants to be able to play a match Pad.

Don't think he's planning on running marathons or climbing Everest .

12 weeks will get him in shape enough to play 90 minutes to a good pace.

After that it may change his lifestyle a bit and he can continue to get in better shape over time.

I think he just wants to be able to play a match Pad.

Don't think he's planning on running marathons or climbing Everest .

12 weeks will get him in shape enough to play 90 minutes to a good pace.

After that it may change his lifestyle a bit and he can continue to get in better shape over time.

Exactly, so he will be fitter not fit.

Anyone who thinks they are fit inside 12 weeks put themself up against someone who's been training for years and you'll see you are not fit, just in better shape than you were. You'll be blowing out your arse 10 minutes into any session with someone who is really fit.

There's being in better shape and there's being fit. Being really fit where you are ripped, can run a marathon properly or have a fantastic physic takes a long time a LOT longer than 12 weeks.

12 weeks training will not be enough to achieve this, it might get someone through 45 minutes of football but you'll hardly be "fit" from 12 weeks training.

but that's the first goal mate; survive 45 mins. No idea who we'll be playing against, or with for that matter, they might be as unfit as me!

As long as you enjoy yourself mate, that's alls that matters.

indeed! I'm hoping it will be the catalyst to me looking after myself better too, my goal is to start cycling to and from work, about 5 miles. Going there will be easy as it's all down hill but coming back up will be the bugger, as it's 5 miles of minimum 10% elevation :unsure:

indeed! I'm hoping it will be the catalyst to me looking after myself better too, my goal is to start cycling to and from work, about 5 miles. Going there will be easy as it's all down hill but coming back up will be the bugger, as it's 5 miles of minimum 10% elevation :unsure:

Now would be a good time to start mate, I've found this time around at the age of 43, it's twice as hard to shift the weight.

Now would be a good time to start mate, I've found this time around at the age of 43, it's twice as hard to shift the weight.

weight isn't the issue though mate, I've only been over 74kg once in my life when the missus was pregnant and even then got to 76kg. For me it's just stamina and muscle toning, though I have to be careful because of old injuries and a proneness for shin splints (real ones, got the X-ray still to prove the micro-fractures)

We'll see how it goes. Trying to ditch my bad habits too which are the 2 remaining obstacles. Can't say I'm enjoying the "balanced diet" all that much but I've stuck to it for 2 weeks now and it's not that bad. Do miss me sausage and chip lunches though

weight isn't the issue though mate, I've only been over 74kg once in my life when the missus was pregnant and even then got to 76kg. For me it's just stamina and muscle toning, though I have to be careful because of old injuries and a proneness for shin splints (real ones, got the X-ray still to prove the micro-fractures)

We'll see how it goes. Trying to ditch my bad habits too which are the 2 remaining obstacles. Can't say I'm enjoying the "balanced diet" all that much but I've stuck to it for 2 weeks now and it's not that bad. Do miss me sausage and chip lunches though

If you want to tone up and are worried about injuries just lift lighter weights and do more reps.

Instead of 3 sets of 8-12 at your heaviest weight drop it down and don3 sets of 20 reps of each exercise but make sure you mix it up. If you do biceps curl all the time (for example) your muscle will get used to the exercise and platau.

If you want to tone up and are worried about injuries just lift lighter weights and do more reps.

Instead of 3 sets of 8-12 at your heaviest weight drop it down and don3 sets of 20 reps of each exercise but make sure you mix it up. If you do biceps curl all the time (for example) your muscle will get used to the exercise and platau.

Excellent advice.

For tone: lighter weights with more reps.

For bulk: heavier weights and less reps.

Excellent advice.

For tone: lighter weights with more reps.

For bulk: heavier weights and less reps.

Yep, form is equally important. You have to do the exercise correctly or you wont get any benefit.

I've seen so many people lifting with their ego and jerking or not doing a complete rep because it's clearly too heavy for them.

Slow and deliberate movements with the correct posture is the most important thing of all.

so now being fit means you have to be able to run a marathon? complete nonsense pad. I was a wrestler in high school and in college for 1 year, never ran a marathon in my life and had 7% body fat and I was fit. certainly didn't take me longer than 12 weeks to get fit.

Fit is relative. I'm not looking to be an Olympian but if I can enjoy a game and bike ride, then awesome. I've been told by a trainer I have the basics of being in really good shape (if bad habits are dropped) and I'm finally getting my head around fulfilling my potential

Exactly, so he will be fitter not fit.

Stop trying to convince yourself! Bill hit the nail on the head. There's a reason the Military do 12 weeks training. Any reasonably healthy person can get fit in 12 weeks with the right diet and fitness programe.

Anyone who doesn't isn't training properly or is cheating with their food.

Stop trying to convince yourself! Bill hit the nail on the head. There's a reason the Military do 12 weeks training. Any reasonably healthy person can get fit in 12 weeks with the right diet and fitness programe.

Anyone who doesn't isn't training properly or is cheating with their food.

What makes you think military training means you're fit. It's a basic fitness teat to see if you are healthy enough. People pass it without doing any exercise regularly.

You stick to your twelve weeks of fitness if it works for you but I'm not the one kidding myself telling myself I'm properly fit after a 12 week exercise program and diet.

I think the military comparison is a bit of a red herring, there's a reason why it's called "basic" training.

Basic definition = "Forming an essential foundation or starting point".

"Starting point" being the apposite phrase.

Exactly. A reasonably slim individual who doesn't train at all would pass an army fitness test inside a few weeks. It's literally basic fitness.

so now being fit means you have to be able to run a marathon? complete nonsense pad. I was a wrestler in high school and in college for 1 year, never ran a marathon in my life and had 7% body fat and I was fit. certainly didn't take me longer than 12 weeks to get fit.

It's not nonesense Mark. If getting fit to a high standard takes 12 weeks then why do professional athletes train so hard all the time.

I was using the instances as examples Mark, I never said you had to be able to donthem all to be fit.

After 12 weeks of "Basic Training" you are as fit as you will ever be, anybody that claims any difference obviously hasn't done military Service.

I was never as fit as I was before I was 18 and I've never been as fit since.

Footballers only do a 4 week pre-season, so if anybody can't play a game of football after 12 weeks fitness training there's not much hope for you.

I've seen lots of slim people vomitting after a few hours of the Army basic training, they push you to the limit and then push a bit more, it's to sort the men from the boys. You wouldn't want a pussie next to you in combat.

A third of my intake failed basic training and got sent home, as I said those that think any different haven't done it, and going into it with the attitude that its easy would also cause you to fail.

12 weeks fitness training to play 90 minutes of football, don't make me laugh.

I've seen lots of slim people vomitting after a few hours of the Army basic training, they push you to the limit and then push a bit more, it's to sort the men from the boys. You wouldn't want a pussie next to you in combat.

A third of my intake failed basic training and got sent home, as I said those that think any different haven't done it, and going into it with the attitude that its easy would also cause you to fail.

12 weeks fitness training to play 90 minutes of football, don't make me laugh.

So could you avoid national service by deliberately failing basic training? Serious question, it just sounds unlikely and an easy out for those that don't (didn't) fancy it to me.