IGNORED

Arsenal (Home) Tuesday December 13

markjazzbassist

Valencia and the two Irishmen looking great. Intensity is up all across the pitch; even Rom is running around. That said, we still look like shit in the final third minus that goal. We need a bit more head's up attacking intensity. Ross has been playing some good long balls in; a couple have just barely missed their target. I'd like to see Ross take a long dribble and shoot like he was known to do a couple seasons ago. This is the best we've looked since the five game run at the start of the season, but it's still not great.

Much much better.

Work rate, aggressive, much better balance albeit our old boys at the back are dropping too deep and leaving too much space.

I only tuned in after about 25-30 mins but I cant fault anyone. McCarthy & Gana are flying into tackles, running their arses off. I like the fact that McCarthy is giving people a kick, its what we need. That altercation at the end of the half wouldn't have happened in the last weeks so its good to see that we are trying to bully Arsenal, especially as they are week as piss when it comes to things like that.

We need to show more quality in the final third. The one decent ball I have seen us put in has resulted in a goal!

If we keep going like this we have at least another goal in us and Arsenal will start wilting like the delicate little flowers they are.

First 20 minutes...crap. stood off far too much.

Started turning around 30 minutes in, more bite in the tackle. The crowd responded likewise and we start playing at a much better tempo.

We need to keep this up. Crunch into the tackle, get in their faces, stop standing off. Take the game to them, play at pace. Goodison will bounce and the players will up it even more.

Been pleased with Valencia so far. He's giving it a right good go.

On Valencia, his work rate has been excellent but he hasn't shown any quality in the final third (I started watching at roughly 25-30mins).

In truth, no one has, but he has certainly worked his arse off for the team and that is what we need more than anything at the moment!

Ye he is just missing that final ball to create an opportunity.

Yep. That's exactly what we needed. Kick fucking lumps out of them, we aren't here to let Arsenal to stroke the ball about.

They all need to do it. Press as a unit, break up play higher up the pitch. Our defence HAS to get closer to the half way line rather than invite them on to us.

Against the shite we should start Holgate. He has the pace to run down a striker and make a challenge, we can play higher up the pitch and take the game to them, not just sit back and wait for the inevitable.

Completely agree with that second point. You cant really press as a team without pace at the back. If only Distin was still knocking around!

Ye he is just missing that final ball to create an opportunity.

For me that is the point though. Keep working hard and not only do you stop the opposition from playing, you'll force a couple of opportunities for yourself and get the crowd going. It may not be pretty, but you'll always stand a chance.