IGNORED

Hull City (Away) December 30th

markjazzbassist

They huffed and puffed against City today and Mbokani looked good first half, but the second they conceded it's as though they'd been completely drained of blood and we're slowly keeling over dead meat. Worked hard to begin with so hopefully the effort will still be missing in their legs on Friday.

So far as we go, we could've been a lot more incisive today and it'd be great for Gueye to finally get off the mark, any chance a sight of goal falls as close as today but on his right foot please.

Was happy with the use of subs as well, three sets of fresh legs on just like that in the lead and they took to the game instantly. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Southampton game very much a factor here. Do you 'rotate' the squad at Hull or home to Southampton. Difficult decision really dont envy RK.

Hull:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Jags Mori Baines

Barry Barkley Clev

Deulofeu Rom Valencia

Get Valencia off after 60 so he can start Monday. Davies could use Gueye's influence. Barkley seems to play better away from home.

Southampton:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Williams Mori

Coleman Gueye Davies Baines

Lennon Valencia Mirallas

Southampton game very much a factor here. Do you 'rotate' the squad at Hull or home to Southampton. Difficult decision really dont envy RK.

Hull:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Jags Mori Baines

Barry Barkley Clev

Deulofeu Rom Valencia

Get Valencia off after 60 so he can start Monday. Davies could use Gueye's influence. Barkley seems to play better away from home.

Southampton:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Williams Mori

Lennon Valencia Mirallas

Hoping Gana will be available for the Southampton game before leaving for AFCON but I'm not sure.

"Players are set to depart their Premier League teams around Gameweek 20 then, which runs between January 2 and January 4.
It’s likely they’ll be handed special dispensation to play in Gameweek 20, though, before departing to meet up with their respective national squads, although situations may vary on a case by case basis."

Hull:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Jags Mori Baines

Barry Barkley Clev

Deulofeu Rom Valencia

Southampton:

Stek/Joel

Holgate Williams Mori

Lennon Valencia Mirallas

win the first match play full strength then think about the next one. same lineup as Leicester with barry and lennon coming off for davies and barkley respectively. go at them, win the match.

Hull weren't bad against City until they conceded. The lad upfront was a handful for city's defence which is admittedly a bit shit. We get an early goal and I'd be confident of picking the 3 points up. I think we might see barry rested and hopefully Davies will be in but will probably be clev. 1-3 win rom, gana and Coleman

win the first match play full strength then think about the next one. same lineup as Leicester with barry and lennon coming off for davies and barkley respectively. go at them, win the match.

Rather simplistic. It's about getting 6 points not 3 or 4. Assuming rotation reduces you from full strength - RK needs to find two lineups that can win. Does going 100% against hull and say 60% against Southampton cost you points when if you played both at 80% you could win both?

A full strength Everton is still fully capable of ballsing up either of these games. I'd suggest cocking up against the Saints is more likely though. How many times have we seen Everton go toe to toe with one of the big boys and then blow the next, relatively simple, game!

I'd put a full strength side out against Hull and hope to get a confidence inspiring victory. Then against Southampton we play who is fit enough.

Exactly. Trying to be clever and win both will see us drop points, it's the Everton way

not sure why people say this, It wasn't 5 at the back, it was 3. do you also call it 6 at the back when we play 4231?

In fact if you watch our first half it was more like 7 at the back.

When we play 4231 we have 4 defenders on the field and 2 defensive midfielders.

When we play 5 at the back we have 5 defenders on the field, and usually 2 defensive midfielders along with that.

Its 5 at the back. Chelsea play 3 at the back, we do not.

Edited by AidanLewis

In fact if you watch our first half it was more like 7 at the back.

When we play 4231 we have 4 defenders on the field and 2 defensive midfielders.

When we play 5 at the back we have 5 defenders on the field, and usually 2 defensive midfielders along with that.

Its 5 at the back. Chelsea play 3 at the back, we do not.

you're getting confused. coleman and baines are fullbacks in a back 4, but wingbacks in a back 3. that doesn't make them part of the backline. they're mean to play further up the pitch, I'm sure they're just not used to it yet. I'm sure it will look more like Chelsea's (but less compact since we're not parking the bus all match).

you're getting confused. coleman and baines are fullbacks in a back 4, but wingbacks in a back 3. that doesn't make them part of the backline. they're mean to play further up the pitch, I'm sure they're just not used to it yet. I'm sure it will look more like Chelsea's (but less compact since we're not parking the bus all match).

Formations like 442 451 352 etc should always be viewed as a defensive shape and if we were defending, which we do a lot of at the moment, then both Baines and Coleman would be playing as deep as the centre backs and therefore 5 at the back. I didn't really see any evidence of either of them getting any further forward than they normally would (against Leicester) or even starting any further forward than they normally would.

Formations like 442 451 352 etc should always be viewed as a defensive shape and if we were defending, which we do a lot of at the moment, then both Baines and Coleman would be playing as deep as the centre backs and therefore 5 at the back. I didn't really see any evidence of either of them getting any further forward than they normally would (against Leicester) or even starting any further forward than they normally would.

Barca used the 343 regularly and Pep uses it as well, it's hardly defensive hence the need to have centre mids play centre back since they spend the majority of the match at the halfway line and not in their own third defending. The way conte uses it, yes that's defensive, but Koeman doesn't strike me as wanting to play that way, the Dutch/Barca way of attacking is the anti-thesis to the Italian defensive style in my opinion.

Nope, I'm not getting confused, we play with 5 at the back all you have to do to see that is to watch the last game.

Our fullbacks seem to do the same job in a 5 as they do in a 4, it's evident isn't it?!

If that's lack of experience in playing as part of that set up then it's pretty poor.

We aren't very good at all with 5 at the back.

Not much better with 4 though, either!

Barca used the 343 regularly and Pep uses it as well, it's hardly defensive hence the need to have centre mids play centre back since they spend the majority of the match at the halfway line and not in their own third defending. The way conte uses it, yes that's defensive, but Koeman doesn't strike me as wanting to play that way, the Dutch/Barca way of attacking is the anti-thesis to the Italian defensive style in my opinion.

No it doesn't need to be defensive but we are a defensive team. We just smash it forward and hope it sticks. We don't use wingbacks to create an extra person (or two) in midfield and therefore extra passing options. We do it so that we have more bodies up front, more at the back and almost no meaningful midfield!

Nope, I'm not getting confused, we play with 5 at the back all you have to do to see that is to watch the last game.

Our fullbacks seem to do the same job in a 5 as they do in a 4, it's evident isn't it?!

If that's lack of experience in playing as part of that set up then it's pretty poor.

We aren't very good at all with 5 at the back.

Not much better with 4 though, either!

Your right, I think Coleman could make the transition from a full back to a wing back, he has a good engine on him which you need, takes people on has a bit of pace and gets in box, Baines would struggle to get up and down the line, and would compromise the system, Oviedo would be a better choice he's more direct going forward and takes people on.

You nearly look set up as a 3 5 2 with two holding midfielders, that way you could have 7 defending when needed, and 5 attacking when we have possession of the ball.

Shouldn't need to rotate anything. These top athletes should be able to play both Friday and Monday. The after game care is unrivaled and the nutrition is on point. They travel in the most luxury coaches and/or stay in top hotels with every comfort. It only becomes a problem when you are playing in Europe midweek and have to bore around airports, take long coach rides, flights etc.

I wouldn't change too much personnel wise but would be making more demands in our playing style.

I think seeing alternatives to Barry has given us an appetite for having more energy in the middle, can Davies do what McCarthy was doing?

Robles deserves his chance to keep his place. Not sure if he just gets too complacent after a few games though.

The players need to stop sinking so deep. The gap really opens up at the top. Lukaku needs to have players closer to him, so that when he inevitably miscontrols/loses possession, then we can close the ball down quicker and/or pick up the lose ball. Rather than their defenders being able to bring it out at ease.

It's all just a bit too cautious, deep, slow starting for me at the moment. But I hope it's all part of a process.

At the end of the day, we are sat in a better position than most of us thought we would be...so another 3 points please!

Despite the win, I don't think the 5-2-3 really worked well against Leicester. I'm intrigued to see if Koeman will persist with the formation or revert back to a 4-2-3-1.

I expect Barry to be rested/demoted to the bench because of the short turnaround and because of Davies' performance in the last game. Stek looks about a 70-30 chance of being available but personally i'd stick with Joel. I thought the Leicester game proved that Lennon is a winger and is not capable of consistently playing the inside forward role, so I think Valencia deserves a recall there.

Joel

Holgate Williams Funes Mori

Coleman Baines

Gueye Davies

Valencia Mirallas

Lukaku

Bench: Stek, Jags, Barry, Barkley, Deulofeu, Lennon, Calvert-Lewin (can't seem to find out whether he's been picked in the squad for the u-23's against Portsmouth if anyone is willing to help).

If we are going to go back to front then I think I would go for a big standard 442. Get Valencia alongside Lukaku, two of Mirallas/Lennon/Gerry wide and the legs in midfield of Gana and Davies.

Knock it long, bully their CB'S, whip balls into the box and get the centre mids running marathons box to box.

Joel has to start.

Edited by Bailey

I agree with Newty. Pro players should be able to play Friday and Monday, no problem at all. We should put out our best team, barring injuries, in both games.

(After working all week, I once played a Yorkshire League game on Saturday afternoon, played for my pub team Sunday morning and played in a County trial game on Sunday afternoon. Fair do's, I was cream crackered but today's Pro's are mollycoddled).