IGNORED

Southampton (Home) 2nd Jan

MikeO

Mirallas just keeps floating around the box he needs to make penetrating runs to create space and make himself available to score. Instead he's wasted

He tracked back well on their counter, maybe he isn't just about himself as mentioned a lot on here

We're starting to retain possession longer and pressure, but again as usual completely toothless around the box. Southampton look well organised too, and I can't escape the feeling of impending doom that has been such a standard feature of being a toffee the last 3 years.

Well, we have played well enough but not created enough clear cut chances. I think Gana has been quite error prone, maybe he is already thinking of ACON.

If we keep this up and have a bit more creativity, composure or luck up front we will be fine. Maybe bring Valencia on at some point for his pace and movement.

Lukaku loses the ball because his first touch is poor and his lay offs are even worse. Barkley tends to get caught in 2 minds often and loses the ball. Our wingers have a fantastic habit of running into a defenders legs.

I don't know what game some fans are watching but this is not good enough. It's better than Hull, which was a low point, but we are still making stupid mistakes and trying to force the ball forward.

I didn't mind the passing around. The problem was and still is that it amount to nothing. It would be better to blast a shot into row z than get caught on the hop like we do.

Doesn't sound good, I was hoping for good things today sounds like another game that could split opinions, let's pray for storming 2nd half.

Still need those attacking wide men that give us that bit more than what we have now. I honestly think that's all this team needs in the short term.

It's a tidy enough performance. Soton look well organised at the back and dangerous on the counter.

We are solid enough too. Davies giving us that energy that we need in the middle, like McCarthy did/does. Barkley certainly plays a lot better with the extra energy behind him.

We just need to keep plugging away. The goal will come.

For those unable to watch the match, I generally agree with TallPaul1878's several comments mostly critical of our play. Anything could happen, but we are poor in the final third of the pitch, and Southampton looked dangerous 3 times on the counter.

On his shot near end of half, Mirallas missed a golden opportunity to cross it in to Lukaku, who was clear of defenders, and onside.