Matt

Ademola Lookman

34 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I agree.  That friendly he showed what he is capable of.

Yep.  Also just to reinforce an attitude and a merit based system.  Some starters have been down on form, so those training well & with the right attitude should get a chance.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

There’s a slight difference in quality at the weekend. 

Cant fault his efforts in the friendly, but he won’t get that much time on the all if he plays so will be interesting to see how he does. Could be a litmus test for him

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Doesn’t show anything at all for me, not even close to being an opposition of note. Playing in the premier league is worlds away from that. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

Doesn’t show anything at all for me, not even close to being an opposition of note. Playing in the premier league is worlds away from that. 

you misunderstood me ste.  he was giving it his all, trying everything, the majority of the guys were treating it like training.  he is giving his all and deserves a chance.  whether or not he was a worldie against lower opposition doesn't matter to me, it's effort and heart.  he is showing that. 

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you misunderstood me ste.  he was giving it his all, trying everything, the majority of the guys were treating it like training.  he is giving his all and deserves a chance.  whether or not he was a worldie against lower opposition doesn't matter to me, it's effort and heart.  he is showing that. 

I see players putting in effort and heart as a basic requirement, only worry about that when it’s not there. I have a lot of hope for the kid, but show it in the premier league and I’ll be impressed. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I see players putting in effort and heart as a basic requirement, only worry about that when it’s not there. I have a lot of hope for the kid, but show it in the premier league and I’ll be impressed. 

Needs to be on the park longer to get a chance to show that, hence the call to start.

9 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Needs to be on the park longer to get a chance to show that, hence the call to start.

No issue with wanting more time on the pitch, just don’t see a game against some amateurs as impressive. 

If he starts he’s favourite to go on the right being naturally right footed which I don’t feel would benefit the team. 

I know most don’t like Walcott and felt he was poor today, not me the amount of work he did off the ball was unselfish he plugged holes and backed Coleman up, Hazard started on our right but didn’t really get much joy because he wasn’t given the space to work in due to Walcott getting back and filling gaps he likes to play in. 

Then he switched to our left and got a lot more time and space and started to dictate the game, and the biggest reason for that was Bernard, he didn’t have the intelligence or experience to help the left back and left Digne exposed, for me Bernard was far poorer than Walcott today with the amount of work he did off the ball, he’s one of them players because of his size that looks pleasing to watch but although he can look busy his contribution to the team is low. 

So if Lookman is to start it would be Bernard that would make way for him, and then you have to think would that be detrimental to Lookmans own game playing on his unfavoured side, but I wouldn’t swap him for Walcott and leave the biggest problem of Bernard. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

and then you have to think would that be detrimental to Lookmans own game playing on his unfavoured side

isn'tt the Left his preferred side though?  Seems to be where he's played most of his footy, with his highlights showing lots of cutting inside to shoot.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

If he starts he’s favourite to go on the right being naturally right footed which I don’t feel would benefit the team. 

I know most don’t like Walcott and felt he was poor today, not me the amount of work he did off the ball was unselfish he plugged holes and backed Coleman up, Hazard started on our right but didn’t really get much joy because he wasn’t given the space to work in due to Walcott getting back and filling gaps he likes to play in. 

Then he switched to our left and got a lot more time and space and started to dictate the game, and the biggest reason for that was Bernard, he didn’t have the intelligence or experience to help the left back and left Digne exposed, for me Bernard was far poorer than Walcott today with the amount of work he did off the ball, he’s one of them players because of his size that looks pleasing to watch but although he can look busy his contribution to the team is low. 

So if Lookman is to start it would be Bernard that would make way for him, and then you have to think would that be detrimental to Lookmans own game playing on his unfavoured side, but I wouldn’t swap him for Walcott and leave the biggest problem of Bernard. 

I thoughtthe opposite. Bernard got through more defensive work and did more to get us on the ball and up the pitch, first half at least. 

Both are struggling with that final ball/shot but Bernie does more in the game to influence our play. Purely on stats alone Bernard had 2 more tackles/interceptions and had 2 key passes (none for Walcott). Im not saying Bernard played well or anything like that, I just dont think it is as clear cut as you think in respect of Bernards defensive contribution.

I also dont think it matters which side Lookman plays as he can beat a man both ways. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

If Gylfi is out for a while I’d like to see Lookman start on the left with Bernard in the middle. 

Yeah that for me also.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thoughtthe opposite. Bernard got through more defensive work and did more to get us on the ball and up the pitch, first half at least. 

Both are struggling with that final ball/shot but Bernie does more in the game to influence our play. Purely on stats alone Bernard had 2 more tackles/interceptions and had 2 key passes (none for Walcott). Im not saying Bernard played well or anything like that, I just dont think it is as clear cut as you think in respect of Bernards defensive contribution.

I also dont think it matters which side Lookman plays as he can beat a man both ways. 

I think a few final balls better and he looks a completely different prospect.

He is struggling with the final ball and taking players on, but his first time balls and sharp passing is a different level for me.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think a few final balls better and he looks a completely different prospect.

He is struggling with the final ball and taking players on, but his first time balls and sharp passing is a different level for me.

He just looks like a guy trying to settle in but you can also see that he is thinking the right things even if they arent coming off. He looks more in tune with Gomes / Siggy / Richarlison than Walcott IMO.

He just needs to start now. If sigurdsson is injured then there’s an obvious makeway but Walcott and Bernard are our poorest players at the moment and you can toss a coin for me...he did more in that one dribble than the other two put together in the whole game