IGNORED

Ademola Lookman

He just needs to know that he’ll be treated with decency and respect and will have real opportunities to start and make it to the first team. After the appalling way he’s been treated by our two previous managers, I can understand that. By moving to Europe, he’s already shown that he won’t take any more crap. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

His ‘chance’ should mean just being a part of the squad, with the same ‘chance’ of playing as everyone else. 

With all due respect if he can get game time at RBL he could leave and get first team football at many other clubs on par or arguably better than Everton. I think that may be his point of view on the matter which is fair enough. He wants a part to play and I'm not sure Everton will give it him without a signing to back him up. We can't go into this season with Bolasi and Lookman fighting for the spot.

What I'm trying to say is do we bank on him or not?

If he understands that Silva and Brands are acknowledging youth why wouldn't he stay? I think he showed guts and a 'can do' attitude with going to Leipzig. If true and who knows? no player can be guaranteed a start every week. Think he's wanting to know that he'll be given a good chance here.

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His ‘chance’ should mean just being a part of the squad, with the same ‘chance’ of playing as everyone else. 

Difficult to prove yourself unless you are given a run in the team to show what you can do. As he has done well on loan he has imho at least earned the right to start as first choice left winger, and be given a run of games.

He was royally screwed over last season so is understandably wary. As others have said I don't see his behavior as demanding, just determined.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

With all due respect if he can get game time at RBL he could leave and get first team football at many other clubs on par or arguably better than Everton. I think that may be his point of view on the matter which is fair enough. He wants a part to play and I'm not sure Everton will give it him without a signing to back him up. We can't go into this season with Bolasi and Lookman fighting for the spot.

42 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Difficult to prove yourself unless you are given a run in the team to show what you can do. As he has done well on loan he has imho at least earned the right to start as first choice left winger, and be given a run of games.

He was royally screwed over last season so is understandably wary. As others have said I don't see his behavior as demanding, just determined.

Sorry, but you don’t guarantee starts to any player. 

We've got a new manager so he’ll have to prove himself to Silva, just like the rest of them. It doesn’t mean shit what he did last season, good or bad, it’s a clean slate (for everyone).

If he can’t handle that then boo fucking hoo. 

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Sorry, but you don’t guarantee starts to any player. 

We've got a new manager so he’ll have to prove himself to Silva, just like the rest of them. It doesn’t mean shit what he did last season, good or bad, it’s a clean slate (for everyone).

If he can’t handle that then boo fucking hoo. 

Youth needs a chance, guaranteeing them games so that can prove themselves is fair. 

Have to disagree, training camps and friendlies are not the same as competitive games. Players like Lookman deserve the right to show what they can do by giving them a chance to start competitive games. Not every game and not while out of form. But by saying "you Have 5 or 6 games, make this spot yours" you can motivate players.

I would expect all the players to be looking to impress the new management in pre season.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

No it’s not. What’s fair is that he gets the same crack of the whip as the whole squad - tear up trees during pre-season and the spot is yours Ademola. 

If that’s not incentive enough for the lad then I’d question his attitude. Premier League games shouldn’t be handed out like sweets, I don’t care how old they are. 

That's the way Niasse pushed his way back in to contention and he had the added disadvantage of a manager who had no time for him.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

No it’s not. What’s fair is that he gets the same crack of the whip as the whole squad - tear up trees during pre-season and the spot is yours Ademola. 

If that’s not incentive enough for the lad then I’d question his attitude. Premier League games shouldn’t be handed out like sweets, I don’t care how old they are. 

I agree, you've got to earn your place and then perform well enough to keep it, no one should have an assurance hey place regardless.

I doubt very much that he's demanding a starting position. He simply wants to be given a fair crack of the whip. What we're seeing here is fallout from Crooked Sam's reign at Everton. His dismissive attitude to Lookman forced the latter to look to Europe, against his manager's wishes. That took guts, and he quite rightly seeks reassurance that he won't be looked down on for doing that and that the new manager won't treat him in the same dismissive manner. I don't blame him at all for this. He has talent, wants to put it to good use, and doesn't want to waste another season. All credit to a young man with ambition and initiative.

If true sell him for 25m to Red Bull.  Runs into his man, trips over himself, not up to speed in the league.  I’m all for talent and potential but he needs to earn that time and playing in a 2 team league doesn’t mean he earned it.

i can’t stand these guys who think their shit don’t stink.  Give me a team of Seamus willing to work their ass off for the badge over this hyped up flash in the pan malarkey.

i really hope it’s not true

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I doubt very much that he's demanding a starting position. He simply wants to be given a fair crack of the whip. What we're seeing here is fallout from Crooked Sam's reign at Everton. His dismissive attitude to Lookman forced the latter to look to Europe, against his manager's wishes. That took guts, and he quite rightly seeks reassurance that he won't be looked down on for doing that and that the new manager won't treat him in the same dismissive manner. I don't blame him at all for this. He has talent, wants to put it to good use, and doesn't want to waste another season. All credit to a young man with ambition and initiative.

There are two sides to what you said and the other being he took the easier option of leaving rather than fighting for his future here and a place in the team, if he has said what was reported then he has a very high opinion of himself so what's the problem get back head down arse up a and .work hard, and if you are as good as you think you are you will get your opportunity but you have to work for it.

But for him to say that makes me feel that he is not prepared to come back and fight for it and wants to stay where he is.

I think it’s within his rights to sit down and ask how Everton view him, are we looking to loan him out again or is he in around the first team. I agree no one has he right to be guaranteed to start, but if we say to him we want him to stay then we also need to be prepared to unleash him for a run of games. Not one here and there. 

I hope he stays myself, I had high hopes that last year was going to be his breakout year and I hold those hopes this year under a positive manager like Silva 

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

They had Forsberg recovering from an injury suffered in December. Had he been fully fit I doubt they'd have even bothered loaning Lookman. Lookman only played the full 90 minutes twice, in which one was a Hoffenheim who spanked them 5-2 big six pointer when you look at the table and red bull missed out by 2 points. Lookman didn't get a minute against the big 2 Dortmund and Bayern. Only other big game was Leverkusen were he come on for the last 20 when the game was already lost. 

So he only played in one important match and they got spanked. Other than that he's played against the fodder, red bull had a busy cup schedule so most of his minutes would have been to allow players to rest/Forsberg recover. Personally think Derby would have been the bigger opportunity being involved in a play off battle and more likely getting more game time. 

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

They had Forsberg recovering from an injury suffered in December. Had he been fully fit I doubt they'd have even bothered loaning Lookman. Lookman only played the full 90 minutes twice, in which one was a Hoffenheim who spanked them 5-2 big six pointer when you look at the table and red bull missed out by 2 points. Lookman didn't get a minute against the big 2 Dortmund and Bayern. Only other big game was Leverkusen were he come on for the last 20 when the game was already lost. 

So he only played in one important match and they got spanked. Other than that he's played against the fodder, red bull had a busy cup schedule so most of his minutes would have been to allow players to rest/Forsberg recover. Personally think Derby would have been the bigger opportunity being involved in a play off battle and more likely getting more game time. 

Thanks for the insight I really don't follow them at all! Just seen that he got a fair few games under his belt with a decent return.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He also played most games the weekend after the "starters" played in the Europa League.

The fact that they are supposedly continuing to pursue him and continued to play him in gakes after the EL ended shows that they must rate him. Whether thats a top 6/7 PL level is a different story though. 

No one gets guaranteed game time but he's definitely one of the 2 competing LW for mine, especially in a reduced pro youth squad.  Number 1 of the 2, with what we currently have.

Thankfully, it looks like they've given up on a "buy success" strategy.  We need to build it long term, challenging and playing quality prospects is going to be central to that.  I think he's good enough now (for 1 of 2), but reckon Lookman can really grow/thrive with some faith and the challenge of responsibility.

Don’t see what the fuss is all about. Doesn’t pretty much every player ask about playing opportunities when looking at new contracts? That’s what agents are for isn’t it?

Theres a massive difference between asking for opportunities and demanding a place.

Hasn’t Rooney just done precisely this?

Does anyone imagine Pickford expected to be coming here to start in the reserves until he proves himself on the training ground?

This is standard practice, I see it all the time. I would actually worry more if a player wasn’t wanting a chance to prove himself.

My hope is we sell Bolasie and bring in a proper LW that is an instant starter. I do want to see a run of games for Lookman, but I would be very worried if he was our number one LW at the start of the season given how unproven he is.

That said, I will be especially worried if Bolasie is our number one winger at the start of the season. The left side is so weak right now it's scary.

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Absolutely spot on.  I said this would happen when he was loaned because they already have better than him.

if his statements are true he as been drinking the kool aid

15 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Is his contract running out or something? Not sure where all this panic about him going is coming from.  Brands has indicated that he is a player who needs promoting up. 

Nothing to see here I think. 

I think you are probably right. The tabloids trying to sell him for us!

On 28/06/2018 at 19:07, pete0 said:

Lookman had better numbers than Forsberg last season (5 goals/4 assists vs 2 goals/2 assist) playing half the matches with far less starts. His numbers are better than Bruma (his other direct left wing competition there) who played more than twice his matches.

You can't blame the lad for when he's bought on and how he's played, but at least he did something.