Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Ademola Lookman

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

Wasn't gonna play here under Sam, either.

Hence why the club had options available for him.... The point is he's gone to a club that he will get minimal if much at all playing time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

Hence why the club had options available for him.... The point is he's gone to a club that he will get minimal if much at all playing time 

...but where he will receive a good footballing education and train with top class players. 

I believe it was SAF who always told his players he’d rather have them go somewhere where they will benefit from top tacticians and players rather than somewhere they get playing time. Ideally, you’d like to see both. But, I really think it could be massive for Lookman’s development to be fighting for something at Leipzig rather than getting minutes in the Championship/League 1 and pulling off the same old tricks day after day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeQuince said:

...but where he will receive a good footballing education and train with top class players. 

I believe it was SAF who always told his players he’d rather have them go somewhere where they will benefit from top tacticians and players rather than somewhere they get playing time. Ideally, you’d like to see both. But, I really think it could be massive for Lookman’s development to be fighting for something at Leipzig rather than getting minutes in the Championship/League 1 and pulling off the same old tricks day after day. 

I agree that being around very good coaches makes a massive difference, but that has to be balanced out by playing games against competitive opponents where you put learning into practice. That's where you develop your skills, build your confidence and really learn the game. These games have to be against a good level of opponent and either a top championship or prem team are ideal teams to play in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I agree that being around very good coaches makes a massive difference, but that has to be balanced out by playing games against competitive opponents where you put learning into practice. That's where you develop your skills, build your confidence and really learn the game. These games have to be against a good level of opponent and either a top championship or prem team are ideal teams to play in. 

Yeah. Ideally, I’d have placed him somewhere like Bournemouth. Not to knock the championship, but I wouldn’t want him playing at a club that isn’t in the Prem, if he has a chance to go to a good club in another top league. I just think the trade off of less games with more education (remember, Lookman is still a very raw talent, and he has played a fair bit of games in the lower leagues) is better than sending him down. So, I think we’re on the same page in that we would want both a good education AND playing time, but we just weigh the possible options slightly differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeQuince said:

Yeah. Ideally, I’d have placed him somewhere like Bournemouth. Not to knock the championship, but I wouldn’t want him playing at a club that isn’t in the Prem, if he has a chance to go to a good club in another top league. I just think the trade off of less games with more education (remember, Lookman is still a very raw talent, and he has played a fair bit of games in the lower leagues) is better than sending him down. So, I think we’re on the same page in that we would want both a good education AND playing time, but we just weigh the possible options slightly differently. 

Bournemouth are a good shout, and would be ideal, they play very good football under a progressive coach. That being said I wouldn't mind our players going to clubs like Derby, Wolves and Bristol City where they also play good football, and can develop without the premier league glare. I would not want them to go to clubs that are going to struggle in the Championship, the quality of football they would be playing would hurt their development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeQuince said:

...but where he will receive a good footballing education and train with top class players. 

I believe it was SAF who always told his players he’d rather have them go somewhere where they will benefit from top tacticians and players rather than somewhere they get playing time. Ideally, you’d like to see both. But, I really think it could be massive for Lookman’s development to be fighting for something at Leipzig rather than getting minutes in the Championship/League 1 and pulling off the same old tricks day after day. 

I've never heard any top manager over here make such claims certainly not Ferguson who had a sketchy record with youth players anyway http://m.goal.com/s/en-my/news/3995/premier-league/2012/09/06/3357743/sir-alex-ferguson-unsure-of-foreign-loans-for-manchester

Any player will benefit from being around good players etc to an extent but to think they will be better off than actually competitively playing is mental, the likes of the Championship are great league's for players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it was a great idea. We suddenly become short in midfielders. With Lennon, Mirallas, Besic, Barkley, Sandro left and McCarthy injured. Let's do the math:

Central midfielders: Gana, Morgan, Davies, Klaassen?

Attacking midfielders - Siggy, Rooney

Wide midfielders - Bolasie, Walcott, Vlasic

Am I missing someone? 

Yes, I know Siggy and DLC can play wide, but since I'm playing Football manager I always complete my 25 man squad with 2 players in each position, + 1 extra GK, 1 extra Striker and 1 extra versatile midfielder/winger. I would never loan out Lookman under current circumstances. Probably Sam is considering someone from U23 squad of better use than him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I disagree... If thats all he is going to do, he is certainly better sitting on theirs rather than ours!

 

Why's that? I would argue their bench is more comfortable than ours. I believe we have better facilities and our reserves football is more competitive than theirs, simply because there is no reserves football league in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe we had any moves lined up for him. Why would we if we weren't planning on sending him out on loan? I think he went and found this move off his own bat to get away.

Quote

 

“I was reluctant to let him go but he insisted,' Allardyce said, echoing his comments following Wednesday's win over Leicester. “So, rather than have a player who was going to have the wrong attitude around the place, he wanted to play some football.

“For us and for him, I wasn't very keen on it based on the fact that we'd already let Aaron Lennon and Mirallas go but he really wanted to get some football.

“We had another offer from a top Championship club but he chose Leipzig so he's got all his choices to go and get some experience and, hopefully, a lot of first-team football in the Bundesliga

 

There clearly was another offer, but we didn't go looking for it. It came to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Haiku said:

Why's that? I would argue their bench is more comfortable than ours. I believe we have better facilities and our reserves football is more competitive than theirs, simply because there is no reserves football league in Germany.

He will develop as a person and player by moving abroad, experiencing different players, different tactics, learning a different culture. RBL actually try and play football too, we only do that on rare occasions!

If he is sitting on our bench he isnt playing reserve football for us either so that makes no difference.

As an example, if you were manager and you had the choice of a creative winger joining a Sam Allardyce team or a team managed by someone a bit like Klopp? A team that sit back and play the percentages or a team that want to win the ball high up the pitch and play aggressively with passion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shukes said:

It’s the culture and training though. Anyone that has ever tried to diversify knows that this is important. 

100% I moved over to the uk by myself at 22 and grew up 10 folds simply because I had to. Regardless of minutes we will see a difference in him when he returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Btay said:

Think he might have a got a foot to a low cross, post and then tapped in. Needless to say he must be doing something right!

I watched the highlights and his shot/diversion from a great cross is what caused a very easy goal. He seemed to do really well from the bit that was covered in that edit. RB were wasteful in general, not even Lookman but the more established players. Again, that's from what I was able to see. 

Watching that clip also reminded me that I need to be following more Bundesliga.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookman looked really good tonight. He’s so good on the ball. Dowell played well in parts as well. Nearly gave a goal away, but going forward he is dangerous.

DCL had a decent cameo as well. If he could learn to finish, he can be a real player. Has everything a forward needs.... other than finishing haha!

Kenny got some minutes as well and looked like a young Hibbert, solid and tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why he is mostly on the bench for them at this part of the season? He started for them almost every game when he arrived, but when I check on the line-ups he seems to always be on the bench.

 

edit - After checking WhoScored it turns out he has played around 200 minutes of football, 3 starts and 2 sub appearances since January. He also has 1 goals but has yet to create an assist.

Has this rumour come out of absolutely nowhere because although I haven't seen him play for RB yet, those statistics indicate to me that he has not actually impressed all that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Does anyone know why he is mostly on the bench for them at this part of the season? He started for them almost every game when he arrived, but when I check on the line-ups he seems to always be on the bench.

 

edit - After checking WhoScored it turns out he has played around 200 minutes of football, 3 starts and 2 sub appearances since January. He also has 1 goals but has yet to create an assist.

Has this rumour come out of absolutely nowhere because although I haven't seen him play for RB yet, those statistics indicate to me that he has not actually impressed all that much.

RB Leipzig have their own attacking talent out wide so he was only ever going to be a bit part player. He has mainly been used at weekends when the first choice wingers have played in the Europa League midweek. 

From what I have read he has only shown a little more than he showed here, which is pretty much all I expected. He has played more than anticipated too which is a bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Does anyone know why he is mostly on the bench for them at this part of the season? He started for them almost every game when he arrived, but when I check on the line-ups he seems to always be on the bench.

 

edit - After checking WhoScored it turns out he has played around 200 minutes of football, 3 starts and 2 sub appearances since January. He also has 1 goals but has yet to create an assist.

Has this rumour come out of absolutely nowhere because although I haven't seen him play for RB yet, those statistics indicate to me that he has not actually impressed all that much.

 

yeah this is what i said when he went there, they have werner and bruma and forsberg (who was injured) who when fit make lookman a bench player.  i don't know why he's so highly rated, he cost us close to 10m and hasn't shown much (in the bundesliga either) other than flashes of potential.  Vlasic was around the same price and he's looked a lot more polished (albeit still has a way to go).  seems a lot to pay for a supposed diamond in the rough.  contrast DCL was 1.5m, he's not looked any better but considering the price you think he was a bargain and will return a solid fee even if he ends up a championship player.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lookman will be a top player, he just needs development. I know we compare him with Vlasic and I see why... but honestly there’s a massive difference. Vlasic will end up a squad player. Lookman will end up a first teamer, for us or elsewhere.

Lookman looks a step above for the England U21s for example. I know that’s not a glowing reference, but watching him, you can see that all he needs is hunger.

With Vlasic it’s the other way around. He has the hunger and enthusiasm, but he lacks the ability.... as we saw after his first two games for us, he dropped off alarmingly.

Its early days for both of them and opinions will vary. But I would be willing to spend a month or so in the Vaults if Vlasic surpasses Lookman. If I’m wrong I’ll even go to Goodison while Sams there, that’s how sure I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Lookman will be a top player, he just needs development. I know we compare him with Vlasic and I see why... but honestly there’s a massive difference. Vlasic will end up a squad player. Lookman will end up a first teamer, for us or elsewhere.

Lookman looks a step above for the England U21s for example. I know that’s not a glowing reference, but watching him, you can see that all he needs is hunger.

With Vlasic it’s the other way around. He has the hunger and enthusiasm, but he lacks the ability.... as we saw after his first two games for us, he dropped off alarmingly.

Its early days for both of them and opinions will vary. But I would be willing to spend a month or so in the Vaults if Vlasic surpasses Lookman. If I’m wrong I’ll even go to Goodison while Sams there, that’s how sure I am.

 

I see the opposite to be honest. Vlasic looks like a player, someone who reads the game and picks passes, whereas Lookman is a typical head down winger who looks good at a lower level where he has more time and space to dribble past players and get a shot away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Lookman incredibly frustrating. You watch him for England U21s and he looks quality - running past people, confident, always looking to go forward with the ball and looks like he has a trick in him. Then he plays for us and is mostly interested in passing backwards, barely looks to run with the ball and is very reluctant to take anyone on. 

It’s like watching two different players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romey that’s probably down to our manager. For England it’s all about attack at U21 level. For us it’s the opposite.

Bailey. It’s funny how people read the game differently. I see Vlasic as too immature for us at the moment as he tends to lose the ball in our half too much. He is exciting. But with our team as bad as it is right now, he would be another mistake to add to the mix. Lookman for me is trying to be too mature sometimes instead of enjoying himself.

What we really want is both of them to progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’ll learn plenty by being out of his comfort zone. Doesn’t speak the language, will have different coaches with different ideas. Will all be good for his development. 

I’ll look forward to seeing more from him with a forward thinking manager next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...