Sign in to follow this  
markjazzbassist

Stoke City (Away) Wednesday February 1st

Are you two serious? He's the only one taking the ball between the lines. Collecting it - running it - probing.

He's busy as fuck tonight. Lots of endeavour.

agreed. davies and McCarthy offering back passes and sideways passes. barkley and schneiderlin only ones looking to go forward.

I can't stand it when people just come on here with an agenda against one player

Don't make such a rude comment if you clearly have not read all my posts. Look at the facts - how many balls has Barkley lost and how many chances has he created. If you lose more than you create you are not a creative midfielder.

The pass.... ffs crazy.

Lookman got caught a minute before being daft.

Yeah, too many players got too cute at the wrong times tonight. At least we got out of jail each time. I like seeing them take chances, but passing across the back like that is suicidal.

Lukaku has offered us absolutely fuck all tonight. Wasn't arsed from the first minute.

Haha you can't help yourself.

Just about to comment on him being a ghost, but you have to blame the midfield. Especially Barkley who couldn't find him with compass and a map.

Thank fuck for that. A fair result but a shit game to watch.

Stoke are a very physical side. They foul more than they pass. Always tough to play against, they definitely out fought us tonight.

For us, no one had a great, even good, game as far as I'm concerned. We gave the ball away far too much. Much more than I'm used to seeing.

You could see the effort was there but it just wasn't happening, possibly due to the constant fouling, closing down and pressure of Stoke. Possibly because we just weren't at it on the night.

Lukaku had one of those games were unless he scores, you're more or less playing with 10 men. Offered minimal.

One to forget for us this one. We move on!!!

Scrappy game with Everton's passing not good enough. We created far too few chances. We still desperately need a creative attacking midfielder. Barkley will never make it there. I am focusing on our weak spot more than on Barkley as a player. Sorry for upsetting some - but argue with facts not emotion if you do not agree with me. Good night.

What an absolute horrible team Stoke are. Hoofing it up at any chance to Crouch and have shithouses like Adam, Shawcross and Bardsley flying into tackles thinking they're the next crazy gang. The conditions were horrible so to come away with a point is decent taking everything into consideriation. With their aerial threat and Adam's delivery I was a bit nervous in that second half. Great move from Koeman going to a back 4 it must be said. Completely shut down Arnautovic and stopped any momentum they had. Still unbeaten in the league since the Derby so onwards and upwards.

Lots of good, and lots of meh. A point away when we never put the ball in the net and conceded within 10 mins is...decent. Where was Lukakwho tonight?

Davies and Lookman may well be our present, not just our future. Davis MOM, Joel a close 2nd?

decent result away to stoke on a windy night. Robles kept us in it. Gotta question why McCarthy was put on, he offered nothing tonight but back and sideways passes. He is a destroyer who adds nothing in attack. I also thought Davies had a "come back to earth" match where he was mostly anonymous. Schneiderlin and Barkley the only ones looking to play FORWARD, and not sideways or backwards.

I said before the game that I wouldn't be happy with a point considering it's Stoke but to the home sides credit they gave us a battle tonight. I think that we had the lion's share of the chances (especially in the second half) but every now and then Stoke would wriggle through our defence and lash a shot at goal, it was one of those games that could quite easily have been lost had a few things swung in their favour.

Credit to Koeman for changing shape in the second half as it just wasn't working in the first 45. Holgate was being mugged left, right and centre by Arnautovic and even though Schneiderlin had a few wobbly moments in the second half did well in his new role allowing McCarthy & Davies to get further forward - the latter really unlucky not to get on the score-sheet with that fine header from close range.

Lukaku was anonymous but I think a lot of that was due to Stoke putting pressure on our play-makers and marking him out of the game than him being lazy. Had we more space and time to pick him out I think he could have gave a better representation of himself.

A bore result on paper but this means we're still undefeated with a nice home tie against Bournemouth at the weekend. It won't be easy for sure but it's a lot easier knowing our run is still intact than going against them on the back of a wet, Wednesday Stoke drubbing.

side note: what the hell place is stoke? seems like every match is some severe weather event there. wind, rain, sleet, snow. does God hate that place or something?

It's a by-product of the amount of inbreeding that goes on there.

side note: what the hell place is stoke? seems like every match is some severe weather event there. wind, rain, sleet, snow. does God hate that place or something?

The highest altitude of any other league stadium. I guess that's why the weather is always aweful.

The switch to 4 helped us a bit defensively, but we kept the ball less bar one 15-20 minute spell and only created those 2 chances of Lookman and Davies from the same move.

On chances alone they deserved it as Grant only made 1 save whereas Joel made 3 or 4.

Scrappy game with Everton's passing not good enough. We created far too few chances. We still desperately need a creative attacking midfielder. Barkley will never make it there. I am focusing on our weak spot more than on Barkley as a player. Sorry for upsetting some - but argue with facts not emotion if you do not agree with me. Good night.

Every match Barkley is playing you come on this site and post nothing but crap about him. Every miss-placed pass is a tragedy, every ball that does not come off is a disaster. He is not perfect, he makes mistakes, but you just twist every little thing against him.

WTF is your problem with him. You know what I don't even care you are just too sad.

Today Holgate defended quite poorly (he'll learn from this hopefully) but I am unsure whether that means that we should throw out the 3-5-2 formation that has served us so well over the past month - but on the other hand I don't know how you could leave one of Davies, Schneiderlin or Gueye out of the starting XI. For this reason I think Koeman will go with a 4-3-1-2 with Gueye playing just in front of the back 4 and from Koeman's post match comments I think he will start Lookman in place of Mirallas who was largely ineffectual today.

Joel

Coleman Williams Funes Mori Baines

Davies Gueye Schneiderlin

Barkley

Lookman Lukaku

Regardless of the formation Bournemouth aren't in the best form and have only won 2 games from 11 away from home this season so we should dominate the majority of the game.

This wasn't the game for Holgate really. Stoke pack their team with rugby players and spend most of the time grappling.

Bringing McCarthy on to get stuck into their midfielders was the right decision. You could see how he was roughing them up and they didn't like it when it's done back to them.

Holgate has previously been playing well but this shows the benefit of having a squad. Different players are better suited to certain teams. Stoke play a physical game, you need to match that physical threat and then beat them with football.

Against Stoke you need a striker like Costa or Suarez. A player with a nasty streak who gets in amongst the defenders and looks to upset them at every opportunity.

Lukaku isn't that player, he has a different skill set and it was largely useless against Stoke. It's been said countless times before but for a big laf he simply does not put his weight about.

Guest rusty747

Missed opportunity with Man U only drawing at home to Hull, but Stoke away is never easy, horrible weather and we are coming on the the back of a long break.

I said before this game that I would take 10 points from the next 12, so we just need to win the next 3.

I hope we can get the intensity, cohesion and game plan working better on Saturday though.