IGNORED

Requesting your help

Cornish Steve

Forgive me for posting this to a new thread as well as to the US presidency thread, but I want to give it visibility.

I'm asking for your help with a petition to the UK government. Would you please consider being one of the sponsors? I'd also be grateful if you would distribute this petition to as many people as you feel comfortable doing. Thank you.

One of the executive orders signed by President Trump is that crimes committed by British citizens (and citizens of all other foreign countries) living legally (or illegally) in the United States be published weekly. An important principle of international diplomacy is that of reciprocity. This petition requests the British government to publish weekly a list of crimes committed by American citizens living legally (or illegally) in Britain.

https://petition.par...XUDdZ2W1YvccSrL

If their not committing any crimes there's nothing to worry about.

Same as the stop and search by the police, if you've got nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem, they are only looking to everybody's safety.

They might find a knife in some guys pocket just around the corner which might just have ended up in your gut.

Edited by Bill

Bill, maybe I can explain more the context.

Creating a list like this is classic intimidation. Hitler did it to the Jews, and white supremacists have done it to non-whites. Let's say my wife gets stopped for speeding and her name and address appear on this list: Some whacko may decide to come and knife the tyres of our car. Even the thought of her details being published will cause her to worry for her personal safety (may not be rational, but we're human beings). We're not talking about crimes committed by illegals here; it's all non-citizens, including people who've lived in the US most of their iives.

Also this week, President Trump signed another order, which appears to give local police the power to act as immigration agents. Looking into the details, it seems they can now stop anyone without due cause and demand their immigration documents (basically picking on people they don't like the look of). There's just no way we will carry such documents around with us (passport and green card); it's not practical and would be problematic if stolen or lost. That means we could be detained for a while despite having done nothing wrong. Not quite the same, admittedly, but the principle is that of forcing Jews to wear a star.

The only way to stop despots is to nip these things in the bud. I don't mean to be petty, Pete, but the most obvious response is for Britain to treat resident Americans the very same way the US treats resident Brits. It would send a powerful signal of support to Britons living overseas: our government will not stand for personal intimidation of its citizens.

By the way: Thank you to the person who did sign it. I very much appreciate it. Four more signatures to go.

Edited by Cornish Steve

I signed this morning got confirmation email.

Now what's gonna happen

Once I have the required number of sponsors, the link will direct to the petition itself and others can register their support. If it gets the required number of supporters inside three months, if I remember correctly, the government is prompted to discuss the matter in parliament.

Steve, I understand what you are saying but it still stands, they can put me on the list if they like, I got slung in the cooler overnight for being drunk and causing a nuisance, that was when I was 16.

If your not a criminal you shouldn't be worried, believe me when I say that in this day and age they already know everything there is to know about you.

Edited by Bill

Steve, I understand what you are saying but it still stands, they can put me on the list if they like, I got slung in the cooler overnight for being drunk and causing a nuisance, that was when I was 16.

If your not a criminal you shouldn't be worried, believe me when I say that in this day and age they already know everything there is to know about you.

That argument is always used, Bill, but that's not the point. The administration will use this list to stir up anti-immigrant sentiment. As the bigots get more and more upset, some will begin the respond and attack immigrants. I have an example and I believe it's feasible: stopped for speeding and find your tyres slashed.

It's classic intimidation and you'll find it time and again in the history books. We wonder why no one acted in the past. Now we'll find out why by repeating history - unless we nip it in the bud and stand up against it.

• 2 weeks later...