IGNORED

Bournemouth (Home) Saturday February 4th

markjazzbassist

Bournemouth have been in a bit of free fall lately. Last 4 matches they've drawn 2 and lost 2. It's home, I expect a win. We have the stronger team and lineup and frankly we should win this. Gana will be back and I imagine well either see him start to rotate out one of the DCM since we played on Wednesday, or to sub in. Gonna wait on the stoke lineup and result to predict my lineup for this one.

Guest rusty747

I think Barry will play at Stoke and Schneiderlin will play v Bournemouth - or vice versa. The big question is who else plays across the midfield. Assuming 3-5-2 and Coleman and Baines as wing backs then that leaves Davies, Gana, McCarthy and Ross to fill 2 positions - and that is one hell of a selection dilemma.

Personally, I would put Gana on the bench to ease him back in slowly, McCarthy also on the bench and start Davies and Ross.

Joel

Holgate. Williams. Mori

Coleman. Davies. Barkley. Barry/Schneiderlin. Baines

Lukaku. Mirallas

Edited by rusty747

Ok I think I know how we will play now.

Robles

Holgate Williams mori

Coleman Davies Schniederlin Baines

Barkley Lookman

Lukaku

I think we'll see Gana sub in for Davies in the second half. The back 4 was better against stoke but Bournemouth play attacking football and clogging the midfield with the 343 will be a good tactic.

Whoops posted this in the Stoke thread by accident:

Today Holgate defended quite poorly (he'll learn from this hopefully) but I am unsure whether that means that we should throw out the 3-5-2 formation that has served us so well over the past month - but on the other hand I don't know how you could leave one of Davies, Schneiderlin or Gueye out of the starting XI. For this reason I think Koeman will go with a 4-3-1-2 with Gueye playing just in front of the back 4 and from Koeman's post match comments I think he will start Lookman in place of Mirallas who was largely ineffectual today.

Joel

Coleman Williams Funes Mori Baines

Davies Gueye Schneiderlin

Barkley

Lookman Lukaku

Regardless of the formation Bournemouth aren't in the best form and have only won 2 games from 11 away from home this season so we should dominate the majority of the game.

Now is not the time to drop Holgate. That would have a devastating effect on him. He needs the chance to bounce back, especially having played so well in recent games.

How would you fit him in with Gueye coming back into the starting XI?

I don't agree with those on Twitter who say there is an argument to 'rest' Gueye against Bournemouth, he's had 4 more days since his last game compared to the rest of the team. I also don't think that Koeman would drop Davies or Schneiderlin to the bench. I'd be shocked to see us start with 5 at the back and 3 defensive midfielders so I don't see any other way around switching to 4 at the back.

You could make the argument that Holgate could partner Williams in a central defensive pairing but IMO while I think Holgate is a better player than Funes Mori, I think Funes Mori better compliments Williams - Mori is left footed and Baines provides more/better defensive cover on the left side than Coleman would on the right if Holgate started (Holgate would play on William's right). Koeman also experimented with a Holgate-Williams CB pairing earlier in the season against Norwich in the LC and it didn't really work out too well.

Overall, I think there is a better argument to drop Holgate for Gueye as you could see in the difference between the first and second half against Stoke that we were more dominant once we had an extra body in the midfield. Everybody knows how good of a player Holgate can be and he will get his chances to bounce back but IMO I'd rather put him on the bench rather than give Eddie Howe the opportunity to target his defensive vulnerabilities just like Mark Hughes did (via Arnautovic) which would probably have an even more devastating effect on him. I could be wrong..

To be fair to Mirallas the pitch and conditions at Stoke were awful, that and Stoke players trying to kick lumps out of us.

I would start Lookman tho, and keep the 3/5/2 it has served us well, and we cant drop Holgate as it would harm his confidence. We can always change to a 433 if we need to:

Robles

Holgate Williams mori
Coleman Baines

Davies Schniederlin
Lookman Barkley

Lukaku

Edited by London Blue

He needed to change to 4 at the back against Stoke, but apart from that blip the 352 has been working well.

It show's at least RK is versatile and he will change personnel and formation if need be.

I would go with

Joel

Holgate Williams Mori

Coleman Davies Barkley Schneiderlin Baines

Lookman

Lukaku

Bring Gana on in the second half, no need to rush him back.

Midfield is obviously tricky now as we have6 players fighting for 3 positions, hard to keep them all happy.

I know how you feel and wish to help you.

Send it to me and I will get rid of it accordingly for you.

Shame actually, I got a ticket and have fallen ill so can't travel to the game. If I was in Merseyside id be more than happy to give it to you (assuming that is where you reside!)

On that note if anyone is around the Portsmouth area and wants a free ticket for tomorrow let me know.

Guest rusty747

Unfortunately, I will be sat inside a pressurised aluminium tube over mid Atlantic for this game en route to Houston, where I haven't got a ticket for Superbowl51 despite being free on Sunday.

Midfield selection is tricky now that Schneiderlin is fit to start and Gana is back from ACON. Tom Davies, imho, has gone from 'young lad to be introduced slowly' to 'one of the first names on the teamsheet' and is just undroppable at the moment.

So, I would go

Joel

Holgate. Williams. Mori

Coleman. Davies. Barry. Schneiderlin. Baines

Barkley

Lukaku

Gana for Barry and Lookman for Barkley or Holgate if we revert to 4-4-2.

Shame actually, I got a ticket and have fallen ill so can't travel to the game. If I was in Merseyside id be more than happy to give it to you (assuming that is where you reside!)

On that note if anyone is around the Portsmouth area and wants a free ticket for tomorrow let me know.

If it was the away game I might well have taken you up on the offer, that'd be around a 250 mile round trip for me (home, Pompey, Bournemouth, home) which is half what I do when I go to Goodison. Shame :(.

they named the airport after lennon? I'm not a beatles fan and even I know Paul wrote and played 75% of everything they ever did. Should be McCartney airport

Think it was closer to 50/50 myself. If you fancy counting up feel free but I can't be arsed :lol:.

http://www.beatlefan.net/b208394-lennon-mccartney-who-wrote-what.html

Maybe if McCartney had been the one who got shot instead of turning into (frankly) a bit of an idiot and producing no music of note in forty-seven years, the odd Wings song aside, he'd have got the shout. Lennon's legend and reputation was ensured by his killing.

Personally my favourite Beatle at the time was and still is George, astonishing guitar player.

Ringo apparently a very underestimated drummer (no expert so I can't comment) but a complete wanker as a person.

Think it was closer to 50/50 myself. If you fancy counting up feel free but I can't be arsed :lol:.

http://www.beatlefan.net/b208394-lennon-mccartney-who-wrote-what.html

Maybe if McCartney had been the one who got shot instead of turning into (frankly) a bit of an idiot and producing no music of note in forty-seven years, the odd Wings song aside, he'd have got the shout. Lennon's legend and reputation was ensured by his killing.

Personally my favourite Beatle at the time was and still is George, astonishing guitar player.

Ringo apparently a very underestimated drummer (no expert so I can't comment) but a complete wanker as a person.

yeah if you read Geoff emerick's book (the engineer for most beatles stuff) he says in the studio Paul played pretty much everything, drums bass, keys guitar, etc on all the songs, the other guys just added their touches here and there. He seemed to say even on the co writes and such it was paul playing most instruments and lennon just singing or playing a rhythem guitar part.

yeah George is cool. not a beatles fan, I didn't grow up with them (my parents weren't fans either) so I don't have the nostalgia factor of hearing the beatles. just sounds like 60's rock and roll to me which isn't something I dig (much prefers The Zombies Odyssey and Oracle for that type of thing)

Great gesture though mate. True Evertonian.

yeah if you read Geoff emerick's book (the engineer for most beatles stuff) he says in the studio Paul played pretty much everything, drums bass, keys guitar, etc on all the songs, the other guys just added their touches here and there. He seemed to say even on the co writes and such it was paul playing most instruments and lennon just singing or playing a rhythem guitar part.

yeah George is cool. not a beatles fan, I didn't grow up with them (my parents weren't fans either) so I don't have the nostalgia factor of hearing the beatles. just sounds like 60's rock and roll to me which isn't something I dig (much prefers The Zombies Odyssey and Oracle for that type of thing)

Paul and Ringo just both so annoying as people. Hard to be annoying from a grave I suppose.