IGNORED

The Run-up and battle for Europe this campaign

I'm bored at work and started to look up the teams above us and their schedules in the run up and our schedule and am trying to put together how we can make Europe.

We need United to win the League Cup against Southampton and have a Europa/CL team win the FA Cup. That or we start moving up the table like crazy.

Man United - They have all their tough matches at the end of the season so the schedule is pretty light now making it tough for us to overtake them. But the thing they have is a ton of matches. League, League Cup, FA Cup, and Europa Matches all in the coming weeks will make for rotation and tired legs, so hopefully they lose/draw some in the league (still want them to win the league cup).

Liverpool - In the next 8 matches they face Chelsea, Hull, Spurs, Leicester, Arsenal, Burnley, Man City, Everton. Quite the gauntlet of teams before the derby. Not to mention they've been in a terrible patch of form and with that tough schedule could see some real free fall (we all hope). After that though, relatively easy end to the campaign.

Man City - Another team in somewhat free fall. Injuries are massive and reinforcements unlikely. They have FA cup and Champs league to add games to the premier league schedule. They have the easiest run in as they've already played us and Spurs so they just have Chelsea, united, Liverpool, arsenal of the big boys. I'm still hoping they continue to get tripped up by lower sides.

Everton - 5 points to catch United, 7 to City, 9 to Liverpool. The good news is we have a great set of matches in the next month with Stoke Bournemouth Boro Sunderland. All winnable matches while Red shite are playing their tough matches. Could help us close the gap. Also good news is no cups or Europe, just premier league to concentrate on and ample rest for the players. Bad news we have United and Liverpool back to back with 3 days in between in early April. That could be a tough stretch.

My analysis so far makes me think that even though Liverpool are the farthest away, they have the toughest stretch during our "easy" stretch and that would be the best time to catch one of those teams.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I think Liverpool will come good again and finish 3rd but City will fall off. Possession football has been sussed, Pep will be waiting for the summer for an overhaul and a rethink. United will finish 4th and we might catch City but, if we keep out run going who knows.

I think Liverpool will come good again and finish 3rd but City will fall off. Possession football has been sussed, Pep will be waiting for the summer for an overhaul and a rethink. United will finish 4th and we might catch City but, if we keep out run going who knows.

Liverpool are 4th now, do you see them overtaking spurs and spurs dropping to 5th?

Chelsea

Spurs

Liverpool

Then United and Arsenal to fight for 4th, United to pip it and Arsenal to fail to qualify for the CL for the first time with Wenger

I can't see City falling that far!!!

I think the redshite will struggle. Really do.

Besides, what sort of job allows you to write this during work time?!!!

I can't see City falling that far!!!

I think the redshite will struggle. Really do.

Besides, what sort of job allows you to write this during work time?!!!

great questions newty. I work in IT for a hospital, which means I sit in a cubicle on a computer for 8 hours a day. So basically I have TT going all day long while I'm at work (don't really get on much when I'm home). Also that write up took like 5 minutes of looking at fixtures lists, the table, and typing, not really life changing time there :)

great questions newty. I work in IT for a hospital, which means I sit in a cubicle on a computer for 8 hours a day. So basically I have TT going all day long while I'm at work (don't really get on much when I'm home). Also that write up took like 5 minutes of looking at fixtures lists, the table, and typing, not really life changing time there :)

Well if you worked in England on the NHS, you would have caused a riot/protest/political uproar.

I'll insert a :lol: and a :D so everyone knows I'm only kidding! ;D

Well if you worked in England on the NHS, you would have caused a riot/protest/political uproar.

I'll insert a :lol: and a :D so everyone knows I'm only kidding! ;D

newty like any job you don't "work" for the full 8 hours. there are down times, there are slow times, I happen to be in both right now. in the spring we have 2000 physicians I have to "go-live" with on our IT environment. Probably won't be on here much then ;) But for now? I'm enjoying the slow season and posting up a storm.

It will be 7th the teams above are just that little bit better but it'll be an improvement on Martinez.

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

City

Utd

Liverpool

Everton

I don't think it's going to be long until Spurs win the league though. There top players are all coming to age! Next season I think!

Edited by MC11

It will be 7th the teams above are just that little bit better but it'll be an improvement on Martinez.

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

City

Utd

Liverpool

Everton

I don't think it's going to be long until Spurs win the league though. There top players are all coming to age! Next season I think!

Way to copy my prediction. [emoji41]

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

City

Utd

Liverpool

Everton

This seems logical. I'm honestly not that impressed by Utd, City, or Liverpool. They have some unconvincing elements to them. That's not to say we're even close to the finished article but I think it's more a case of the points between us are significant. Optimistically I think that says more about our strengths than theirs.

It's a shame Leicester are an absolute bag of shite. Could've done with them taking something off United today.

Nothing like last season are they.

All we can do is keep winning our games. Potential "six pointers" against Liverpool and Arsenal but if we keep our form going I believe we will catch atleast one team above. That terrible run of 1 win in 10 games or so looks even worse now..

Nothing like last season are they.

All we can do is keep winning our games. Potential "six pointers" against Liverpool and Arsenal but if we keep our form going I believe we will catch atleast one team above. That terrible run of 1 win in 10 games or so looks even worse now..

Liverpool and Arse have seen their championship challenges fall apart in recent weeks. With 6 teams fighting for 4 spaces the pressure is on. I think with UTD improving they will fall away and drop points.

There is not that pressure on us, so if we keep winning our games and improving we can add to that pressure and hopefully bag a European place.

Liverpool and Arse have seen their championship challenges fall apart in recent weeks. With 6 teams fighting for 4 spaces the pressure is on. I think with UTD improving they will fall away and drop points.

There is not that pressure on us, so if we keep winning our games and improving we can add to that pressure and hopefully bag a European place.

Thing is I don't think united are that good. Apart from chelsea and Tottenham ( perhaps Arsenal ) the others arnt convincing.

The way we're playing we can keep pressure on those teams above and that's all we can do, play for as many points as we can get and keep improving as a team.

We have some tough games in the final couple of months with the Liverpool/Man utd double away within a few days of each other starting off a 6 game month that ends with Chelsea at home (hopefully they'll have won the league by then and won't be as ruthless!).

We basically can't afford any silly dropped points and probably need to beat one of Liverpool or Man Utd depending on who drops the most points elsewhere.

No doubt come the end of the season people will complain we don't want to be in the Europa anyway!

I think with a few more additions to the squad next season we should be strong enough to cope with the games. Rom would definitely need someone to allow him a break. He's so much fitter than he used to be but I couldn't have him playing full 90 for a load of extra mid weekers. A chance of Lookman, Calvert etc to get more game time.

Guest rusty747

We just need to keep thinking about our next game and let the teams ahead of us feel us breathing down their necks.

If we can do that consistently then, to quote Ronald, 'everything is possible.'

Edited by rusty747