IGNORED

BBC2 Tonight 9PM - Russian hooliganism

BBC2 Tonight 9PM

This World...

Russia's Hooligan Army. Might have been worth a watch.... did anyone see it?

This from the BBC -

At the 2016 European Championships, violent clashes between Russian and English supporters in Marseille put the spotlight on Russian hooliganism. Russian hooligans injured over 100 English supporters, beating two into a coma, and it raised serious concerns ahead of Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup. Filmmaker Alex Stockley von Statzer travels to Russia to experience the country's football fan culture first hand. Featuring footage filmed in Marseille in 2016, rare interviews with members of some of the most feared firms like the Spartak Gladiators and Orel Butchers, and new footage of an organised fight for wannabe recruits, this show uncovers a world where brutal violence has become a mark of honour and a symbol of newly resurgent Russian masculinity.

Most Russian hooligans have moved away from the English movement that inspired them in the 70s and 80s. Today they are organised in firms that are teetotal, physically fit and trained in mixed martial arts. Police have enacted new laws promising bans and jail for any fans that cause trouble and are heavily policing stadiums. Alex travels to Oryol to speak to the Orel Butchers who violently attacked English fans in Marseille. We hear one hooligan taking relish in describing a merciless attack by a number of Russians who kicked an England fan in the head - an attack that was also caught on camera.

Alex also travels to Rostov, which will host five games at the World Cup, to film an organised fight in the woods. Here he meets with a local firm getting ready to audition for new members. Young men fight in a no-holds-barred brawl against young fighters from another local firm. It's a vicious clash similar to what was witnessed in Marseille and is one of the hundreds of fights that firms arrange all across Russia.

There will be some deaths, mark my words.

The Russian hoolies (not watched the program but have watched online clips of their 'activities') are out to kill or at least seriously harm. They don't care who they hurt either. There's also a new craze by them, to wear go-pros and film their attacks. It's disgusting. There are innocent by-standers getting knocked to the floor and waves of attackers running past and kicking them in the head.

I have now watched it. They have a very warped view of masculinity. It was fascinating and scary in equal measure.

I really 'enjoyed' it... brutally horrible. It's just a different world they live in - light years behind the societies I expect the vast majority of us on here live in.

Just watched. The forest fights I have no problem with, same as I didn't with hooliganism between rival "firms" when it happened over here; you want to behave like neanderthals go for it, any loss to the global gene pool would be nothing to cry over. I always thought there should be an area allocated away from the ground (because football has nothing to do with it) where those who want to fight on a match day could go do their thing and leave the real fans in peace.

It's when it inevitably spills over into innocents getting hurt that it's unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

So long as they just beat the shit out of the people who attend and not innocent by-standers, I'd be ok with that

Like I said a few posts up, so would I. I'd be actively for it if kept the nutters out of the stadium, give them a field a few miles away and let them get on with it; they're not interested in the result of the game anyway.

Whos picking up the pieces? who's looking after sergei's kids whilst he has his legs amputated? when one side loses and decides to go back tooled up to the eye balls for revenge...then what?

I mean, don't get me wrong, theres a business in this, the mma cage fighting phenomenon but for groups, I want state sponsored doping, eye gouging, kicks to the bollocks, pink spandex, the whole shebang. (theres a word for the british idiom/lingo thread) and the festival of violence can be broadcast, sponsored by Obama Trump-care, and steds-r-us, then the follow up tv shows can check the aftermath in the hospitals and surgical theatres. This is an industry, think "Hooligan funerals" and some twat like Jeremy Kyle interviewing a 5 year old orphan asking how he or she feels now alone in the world.

Yep, loads of violence, its just what the world needs even more of.

Like I said a few posts up, so would I. I'd be actively for it if kept the nutters out of the stadium, give them a field a few miles away and let them get on with it; they're not interested in the result of the game anyway.

Better still, tell them it's legalised but don't actually do it. Anyone who attends the event gets arrested and put away. Simple!