IGNORED

Another Beer Thread

rubecula

Which in your opinion is the best country for a beer outside of the UK?

My favourite beer is Guinness so for me Ireland is near the top. However, even though I hardly ever drink lager there are a few I do like. Germany brew the best for my taste buds. So for pure choice I would say Germany.

I also like Carlesberg so Denmark is in the mix.

One final honorary mention for Kopperberg cider, (Is this Swedish?)

We have Dr Gabs over here, a local brewery which recently linked up with Le Pie - both excellent and probably my favourite ales and pies.

My 18th was at Dublin because of my love of Guinness. Went to the festival they sponsor whilst I was there, some great memories from that! Line up was Neil Fin, Muse (Origins tour - best gig opening ever! I'll explain that when I get to a PC), Stereophonics and finished with Faithless!

I never liked them either and then recently their bitterness has been lovely (cue the comment about taste buds changing every 7 years). Higher alcohol content is just a plus for me, get to drink less of them.

Can you get Harvest Ale over there? or Gold Label?

http://www.jwlees.co.uk/beers/harvest-ale

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-onz-liQHWVI/Tmz6IFw1oTI/AAAAAAAAArA/EfSUqCyftF4/s1600/gold+label.jpg

doubtful on the brands, but on the type of beer/wing they are I'm sure we've got stuff. there are so many breweries over here now, it's insane. Every small city (300k or more) has like 6 breweries in it serving up all different varieties.

I brew my own.

I currently brew:

IPA

Lager
Pilsner
Brown Ale
Pale Ale

I want to have a go at making a stout but I havent tried it yet. My latest batch of IPA is ready in 3 weeks time. I make smaller batches of 4-10 liters at a time to try out different recipes before i go larger scale.

Some of my home made beers - http://imgur.com/a/kgHb7

Edited by Peter H

I'm so ignorant when it comes to beer. Much prefer liquor.

I like Chang, Blue Moon, Tecate, and, as much flak as I'll probably get for this one, Coors Banquet. Any tips on a beer to get started on?

MJB, you could probably help me here since you were in the South (I'm about an hour from NOLA). I think I would like a beer that has a high alcohol content but isn't crazy bitter -- at the same time I don't like sweet.

I like Chang, Blue Moon, Tecate, and, as much flak as I'll probably get for this one, Coors Banquet. Any tips on a beer to get started on?

MJB, you could probably help me here since you were in the South (I'm about an hour from NOLA). I think I would like a beer that has a high alcohol content but isn't crazy bitter -- at the same time I don't like sweet.

This is a fantastic IPA if you want to try something else. And its 'merican

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ballast-point-sculpin-ipa/50008/

Mexico for Pacifico and Corona, I'm not a beer drinker but those two I could drink all day.

Cider is my poison.

Don't like that Mexican stuff but when Josh has a drink (which is very rare) he likes Corona. Don't really like cider, especially the new craze for flavoured ones (there's no such thing as "pear cider" for example, it's called perry :shaking fist:); however there's a local place that makes one with elderflower in it which is lovely.

http://www.norcottscider.co.uk/

Fellow Coors fan here, although I prefer Peroni, or my work lunch pint Moravka Pilsner.

I try to have the less flavoursome beers, Guinness aside. I'm not into the hops being stronger than the drink like most breweries seem to be focusing on atm, and would say the best starter is Punk IPA.

start with Abita or Sweetwater (NOLA and Atlanta respectively). Try an amber lager, Try a Pale Ale, Try a Pilsner. If you like the Pale Ale you can try dabbling with IPA or Extra Pale Ales. If you like the Pilsner try more Pils or "light" beers. If you like the Amber dabble in other lagers and give a stout or porter a shot (darker beers).

That should get you started.

As far a Coors Banquet its a solid cheap beer. My cheap beer of choice is Miller High Life, the champagne of beers (lol I've always loved that tag line). I appreciate the cheap ones just as much as the expensive ones.

Peter - my brother does small batch brews too, jalapeno IPA, etc weird stuff. he loves beer.

Corona is a soft drink to me not a beer.

I am sure older members will understand what I mean.

Best Mexican drink I have tried was a Latin Leprechaun (Sort of Irish coffee but not whiskey :otvwhistle: half tequila and half mescal instead.) :I surrender:

Maybe one day I will find a Mexican/American beer I like. :dont know: