I'd have him on the back of: 1) he is an improvement on Kone, 2) We need an experienced "second fiddle" striker 3) what he could pass on to all the players, not just strikers is invaluable.

Wages and fee will be a major stumbling block.

p.s. yes I fully expect if we go for him it will be on the back of telling him he is second choice to Rom.

I'd have him on the back of: 1) he is an improvement on Kone, 2) We need an experienced "second fiddle" striker 3) what he could pass on to all the players, not just strikers is invaluable.

Wages and fee will be a major stumbling block.

p.s. yes I fully expect if we go for him it will be on the back of telling him he is second choice to Rom.

I'd be pretty upset if he came here and became our highest earner.

Guest rusty747

Don't blame him for going to Man U when he did but he really couldn't improve our side now. Best he could do is add a little strength in depth and I don't think he would settle for that - or the salary that would go with it.

I think he will see out the season at Man U, try to break the England appearances record, then chase the $ in China.

I don't want him here.

If he hadn't come through our academy there would be barely anyone even suggesting we should try and tempt him to sign for us.

He's better than China though, and even though China would pay him a hell of a lot more he should go to the MLS.

My thoughts. I would love to seem him in MLS (obviously), but not sold on him at Everton. Like I said, a move here would be nothing but nostalgia.

Would you not say China and the MLS are the same? They both have a similar transfer policy but China have more money to throw at it.

Anyway I'd have to say on experience of winning cups etc alone I'd take him for a few seasons, I think he would be more than a bench warmer and our younger players would learn how to cope with big games from him. That said I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

If he came on a, say 25k, contract, I'd have him in a heartbeat because it'd show that he's here for the club. The benefits of having him are enormous but he has to show willing and i think that's the best way to do so.

If he came to Everton the problem would be that he is given special treatment which could have an adverse effect on the rest of the squad. This would be exacerbated by the fact that he would be only a fringe player. He is no longer good enough to hold down a regular place in the team. The fact that he is still in the England squad is a perfect example. He should have been dropped two or three years ago.

If he came to Everton the problem would be that he is given special treatment which could have an adverse effect on the rest of the squad. This would be exacerbated by the fact that he would be only a fringe player. He is no longer good enough to hold down a regular place in the team. The fact that he is still in the England squad is a perfect example. He should have been dropped two or three years ago.

all true but the experience of a title winner is a great reason to have him around the group, especially with so many kids in the team. I also think, if he did take a massive cut in pay like I suggested, that'd make a huge difference because it would show them the club means more than making (even more) money

all true but the experience of a title winner is a great reason to have him around the group, especially with so many kids in the team. I also think, if he did take a massive cut in pay like I suggested, that'd make a huge difference because it would show them the club means more than making (even more) money

It would definitely show that he doesn't care about the money and is a true Evertonian, but I don't think he'll add much besides experience, and he won't want to sit on the bench, IMO.

He still plays regularly for Man U, he can replace Barry in a heart beat.

He's on of thos players that is easy to criticise because he isn't doing something spectacular every game... Barkley....

But the reality is that he is still an excellent player that would improve our team... even now.

He still plays regularly for Man U, he can replace Barry in a heart beat.

He's on of thos players that is easy to criticise because he isn't doing something spectacular every game... Barkley....

But the reality is that he is still an excellent player that would improve our team... even now.

Barry? The CDM?

Barry? The CDM?

i can see that logic to be honest. Don't agree with it but there is a logic there.

Experience is so underestimated. Barry is an excellent example. Many thought he was past it; why are we signing this 'oap'. His experience had helped McCarthy and I'm sure Davies and the other youth candidates. Don't look at the individual and what he brings. Rather, look at the knock-on effect. Football is much more complicated than the individual.

Barry? The CDM?

Yes I think he would do a great job there.

Fights for the team he supports and wants to try to leave a legacy, defensively he reminds me of Beckham.

His passing range is 100% better than most realise.

He can get forward and provide moments of magic.

I know it's not everyone's choice or opinion, but I think he is underrated in his ability in other areas.

And again.... Barkley and Rooney working together on the training ground

i can see that logic to be honest. Don't agree with it but there is a logic there.

Experience is so underestimated. Barry is an excellent example. Many thought he was past it; why are we signing this 'oap'. His experience had helped McCarthy and I'm sure Davies and the other youth candidates. Don't look at the individual and what he brings. Rather, look at the knock-on effect. Football is much more complicated than the individual.

Last few sentences hit it on the head.

Last few sentences hit it on the head.

I get what y'all are saying, but we already have so much depth in that position: Gueye, Morgan, Davies, Besic, McCarthy...

Theoretically, whose spot does he take? He's not going to come to play second fiddle.

I get what y'all are saying, but we already have so much depth in that position: Gueye, Morgan, Davies, Besic, McCarthy...

Theoretically, whose spot does he take? He's not going to come to play second fiddle.

Put it like that, I would rather see Besic and Gana grow.

We need a senior striker with Lookman, Calvert Lewin and hopefully others coming through. Lukaku needs a partner when we're playing 2 up top - Mirallas is good but nowhere near as good as Rooney plus Rooney could play as a lone striker to take some of the load off Lukaku.

I'd have him in a heartbeat if the deal's right for us. Commercially it will make sense anyway - maybe this is where the compromise on wages could come. With a few senior figures gone or going it also makes sense.

It's been a long standing issue - our lack of leaders. Rooney's desire and experience of winning could help massively as we look to make that next step up. We will spend a lot next summer - this may bring in big characters and probably egos... Rooney has done it all and with the support of Coleman, Baines, Williams, Barry you'd hope there's enough players who demand the respect there.

If he came on a, say 25k, contract, I'd have him in a heartbeat because it'd show that he's here for the club. The benefits of having him are enormous but he has to show willing and i think that's the best way to do so.

Guaranteed 300k/week for several more years - or 25k/week for a little nostalgia and bench-warming. Hmm...tough one, that.

While we have Lukaku we will struggle to attract a top second choice striker. If somehow we could bring in a player of Rooneys quality to support Lukaku that would be great. Add to that what he could learn from training and playing with Rooney.

We also need to get a player to bump the profile of the club. Rooney would do that.

You do realise that is never going to happen in a million years, right? I don't care how much of a blue is he's not taking that heavy a hit in his wages. We'll be needing to pay him 100K a week to get him here.

No No No not another OAP please, we need younger players who are driving hard to get ahead, not those who are cruising along waiting for their fuel to run out.

Way past his best and won't pass his next MOT.

You do realise that is never going to happen in a million years, right? I don't care how much of a blue is he's not taking that heavy a hit in his wages. We'll be needing to pay him 100K a week to get him here.

oh I know, but I'm saying it'd have to be something like that to make the biggest impact. Plus, the money from marketing would cover 100k (which I believe is a big cut for him) so it's not that big a deal. Just being idealistic ;)

I'd have him if it was financially favourable, he's still a great player and is very versatile, he could fill in for Rom sit behind or drop into a deeper dictating role

All comes down to wages etc but I don't believe for one minute we made a bid for him in January though

Guest rusty747

Sorry, but its a big no from me. He would be nothing but an expensive bench warmer and a reminder of our past when we need to be looking to the future.

Would you not say China and the MLS are the same? They both have a similar transfer policy but China have more money to throw at it.

Anyway I'd have to say on experience of winning cups etc alone I'd take him for a few seasons, I think he would be more than a bench warmer and our younger players would learn how to cope with big games from him. That said I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

Nope, China, albeit its money, is attracting players mid career, there is players in that league who would walk into our squad, MLS has two decent players (Pirlo and Villa), China has a fair few.

People who are saying no, is he or is he not an upgrade on Kone, obviously buying someone younger and better is the first option but if nothing else then he still is an upgrade to what we have backing up Rom.

Yes.

Experience.

Winner.

International.

Proven.

Not going to get many people with those attributes cheap.

I know this should never be a consideration for a transfer, but also the exposure we get in some international markets would also be a big boost...

He's not going to cost as much as people think, he's 31, will have 1 year left on his contract, they will want him off the wage bill, can see them selling cheap if not a free transfer due to the money they will save / helping Wayne move to us as a gift for his service to United.

But then he will cost a fair whack on wages most likely.

If we got him on a free and he was prepared to take a cut in wages, say 20-22M over a 2 year deal why not we made far worse deals than that over the last few years.

He's 31 with loads of ability and passion for the club, and Barkley would learn loads from him.

He's marketable, still a huge name in football, that's what we are aiming for at the moment isn't it? To make the Everton brand bigger, having names like Rooney at the club brings a bigger exposure to the club.

I find it hard to believe how anyone could say this is a step back. Is it because of his age? It sure as hell isn't because of his ability as he's a massive upgrade on any potential partner we currently have for Lukaku and is better than Lukaku in many ways. Too many get hung-up on age on here... if we're talking about signing another Kone then fair enough but we're talking about one of the top striker in world football over the last decade.

Man U have done it and benefitted from it for years - Sheringham, Larrson (slightly different), van Persie and Ibrahimovic spring to mind.

Signing Rooney is a complete no-brainer in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe how anyone could say this is a step back. Is it because of his age? It sure as hell isn't because of his ability as he's a massive upgrade on any potential partner we currently have for Lukaku and is better than Lukaku in many ways. Too many get hung-up on age on here... if we're talking about signing another Kone then fair enough but we're talking about one of the top striker in world football over the last decade.

Man U have done it and benefitted from it for years - Sheringham, Larrson (slightly different), van Persie and Ibrahimovic spring to mind.

This for me and as Tristagi says the commercial side of it should be taken into account as it could help offset his wages

I'd have him, especially if we are in Europe. Those games where lukaku comes off after 60 or even someone else to start we have had and have Kone/Valencia. I'd see this signing similar to E'to just that Rooney is 1000x times the professional of E'to. He'd be good rotation for Barkley as well as an inside forward behind the striker.

But he doesn't have the goal scoring record that he used to, does he? Two goals in 17 matches, same as Gareth Barry for us this season, in a side that's struggled for goals outside of Ibrahimovic the same way we've struggled for goals outside of Rom. I'm not convinced unless we can get him to agree to a massive wage cut. He is not an Ibrahimovic-type player. While still smart with his decision-making, he's lost too much of his quickness and pace which were crucial to his style of play. Comparing an aging Rooney to an aging Ibrahimovic or Van Persie is comparing an apple to oranges.

But he doesn't have the goal scoring record that he used to, does he? Two goals in 17 matches, same as Gareth Barry for us this season, in a side that's struggled for goals outside of Ibrahimovic the same way we've struggled for goals outside of Rom. I'm not convinced unless we can get him to agree to a massive wage cut. He is not an Ibrahimovic-type player. While still smart with his decision-making, he's lost too much of his quickness and pace which were crucial to his style of play. Comparing an aging Rooney to an aging Ibrahimovic or Van Persie is comparing an apple to oranges.

He's not played as a CF every time. This will sound bad but look past goals.

He's appeared 29 times for united this season, scoring 5 and assisting 10 - he's affected 15 goals. He's played 1797 minutes for those which means he's either scored or assisted once every 120 mins or. Are you still unhappy with those stats?

I don't see him as a striker for us.

See him more as a behind the striker player that can pop up top when nhe ended.

Commercially it would be a no brainier.

Barkley it would be a no brainer.

Image too.