IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

While we have Lukaku we will struggle to attract a top second choice striker. If somehow we could bring in a player of Rooneys quality to support Lukaku that would be great. Add to that what he could learn from training and playing with Rooney.

We also need to get a player to bump the profile of the club. Rooney would do that.

If he came on a, say 25k, contract, I'd have him in a heartbeat because it'd show that he's here for the club. The benefits of having him are enormous but he has to show willing and i think that's the best way to do so.

You do realise that is never going to happen in a million years, right? I don't care how much of a blue is he's not taking that heavy a hit in his wages. We'll be needing to pay him 100K a week to get him here.

You do realise that is never going to happen in a million years, right? I don't care how much of a blue is he's not taking that heavy a hit in his wages. We'll be needing to pay him 100K a week to get him here.

oh I know, but I'm saying it'd have to be something like that to make the biggest impact. Plus, the money from marketing would cover 100k (which I believe is a big cut for him) so it's not that big a deal. Just being idealistic ;)

Would you not say China and the MLS are the same? They both have a similar transfer policy but China have more money to throw at it.

Anyway I'd have to say on experience of winning cups etc alone I'd take him for a few seasons, I think he would be more than a bench warmer and our younger players would learn how to cope with big games from him. That said I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

Nope, China, albeit its money, is attracting players mid career, there is players in that league who would walk into our squad, MLS has two decent players (Pirlo and Villa), China has a fair few.

People who are saying no, is he or is he not an upgrade on Kone, obviously buying someone younger and better is the first option but if nothing else then he still is an upgrade to what we have backing up Rom.

Yes.

Experience.

Winner.

International.

Proven.

Not going to get many people with those attributes cheap.

I know this should never be a consideration for a transfer, but also the exposure we get in some international markets would also be a big boost...

He's not going to cost as much as people think, he's 31, will have 1 year left on his contract, they will want him off the wage bill, can see them selling cheap if not a free transfer due to the money they will save / helping Wayne move to us as a gift for his service to United.

But then he will cost a fair whack on wages most likely.

I find it hard to believe how anyone could say this is a step back. Is it because of his age? It sure as hell isn't because of his ability as he's a massive upgrade on any potential partner we currently have for Lukaku and is better than Lukaku in many ways. Too many get hung-up on age on here... if we're talking about signing another Kone then fair enough but we're talking about one of the top striker in world football over the last decade.

Man U have done it and benefitted from it for years - Sheringham, Larrson (slightly different), van Persie and Ibrahimovic spring to mind.

Signing Rooney is a complete no-brainer in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe how anyone could say this is a step back. Is it because of his age? It sure as hell isn't because of his ability as he's a massive upgrade on any potential partner we currently have for Lukaku and is better than Lukaku in many ways. Too many get hung-up on age on here... if we're talking about signing another Kone then fair enough but we're talking about one of the top striker in world football over the last decade.

Man U have done it and benefitted from it for years - Sheringham, Larrson (slightly different), van Persie and Ibrahimovic spring to mind.

This for me and as Tristagi says the commercial side of it should be taken into account as it could help offset his wages Edited by EFC-Paul

I'd have him, especially if we are in Europe. Those games where lukaku comes off after 60 or even someone else to start we have had and have Kone/Valencia. I'd see this signing similar to E'to just that Rooney is 1000x times the professional of E'to. He'd be good rotation for Barkley as well as an inside forward behind the striker.

But he doesn't have the goal scoring record that he used to, does he? Two goals in 17 matches, same as Gareth Barry for us this season, in a side that's struggled for goals outside of Ibrahimovic the same way we've struggled for goals outside of Rom. I'm not convinced unless we can get him to agree to a massive wage cut. He is not an Ibrahimovic-type player. While still smart with his decision-making, he's lost too much of his quickness and pace which were crucial to his style of play. Comparing an aging Rooney to an aging Ibrahimovic or Van Persie is comparing an apple to oranges.

But he doesn't have the goal scoring record that he used to, does he? Two goals in 17 matches, same as Gareth Barry for us this season, in a side that's struggled for goals outside of Ibrahimovic the same way we've struggled for goals outside of Rom. I'm not convinced unless we can get him to agree to a massive wage cut. He is not an Ibrahimovic-type player. While still smart with his decision-making, he's lost too much of his quickness and pace which were crucial to his style of play. Comparing an aging Rooney to an aging Ibrahimovic or Van Persie is comparing an apple to oranges.

He's not played as a CF every time. This will sound bad but look past goals.

He's appeared 29 times for united this season, scoring 5 and assisting 10 - he's affected 15 goals. He's played 1797 minutes for those which means he's either scored or assisted once every 120 mins or. Are you still unhappy with those stats?