I don't mind him staying so long as he realises he'll have a limited role.

I'd like to think that with him being a pyjama wearing Evertonian, he'd want to stick around and help us to achieve something. Even if his role is to influence the kids....away from grannies, drink driving etc

Although he has been one of our standout performers for this season, (mainly the first half) it is essential that Rooney moves on for the further development and progression of Everton. 

He is a natural number 10. Unfortunately, Sigurdsson must hold the starting spot for this position. Moving him on to the left to accommodate Rooney leaves us with a severe lack of pace and flair in the final third.

Putting Rooney into a deeper role allows for him to switch the play with long accurate passes. But also leaves us vulnerable at the back as he is far from even an average defender and seems unable to pass the ball 5 or 6 yards whilst in this deeper role. Add that to a lack of pace and there is trouble. This also means he has to have runners around him which is something, In my opinion Everton need to get away from.  Why put the onus on someone else to do the running for him when we could put a more physically rounded player in his position.

There is no natural role for Rooney left to play at Everton. All he is becoming is a hindrance to our progression as a club and needs to leave this summer.

That last paragraph hits the nail on the head. The only position I can see him playing is up front, maybe off the bench. You dont see players like him in this league playing into their 30s in midfield. They are either deep midfielders (converted from box to box midfielders - Gerrard or Yaya) or they play up front generally not starting every game.

I have been hoping that Rooney would not leave Everton, perhaps for emotional reasons.  But both Aiden and Bailey are persuasive.

I had hoped that Rooney’s long passing would make him a good deep lying playmaker.  It didn’t work out, so Rooney’s only possible role, as Bailey says, is up front.

I will say, we are hardly flush with goalscorers, so unless we sign a proven or likely goalscorer, Rooney’s leaving takes with him some desperately needed goals.  We can’t afford to lose even a 5-goal player, without a certain replacement.

And as for Rooney himself, is he really physically capable of playing regularly in the American summer heat this season?  When, beginning in July?  So I’ll hold out, emotionally I guess, for the prospect that Rooney might wait to speak with our new manager, and maybe - maybe - stay and play part time at Everton in the Fall, then decide whether to take a winter break and join DC United for their 2019 MLS season.

I think he probably does still have a role to play as a goal scorer. I have mentioned about DCL needing to go on loan and therefore without even needing to buy another player you you have 3 strikers of Tosun, Rooney and Niasse with the latter two being completely different to deal with different situations. Rooney when you need more guile and Niasse when you need someone to bludgeon their way through a defence.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I dont see how he would fit in under Silva and with all things considered I think it is probably right that he goes.

Yep. Hard to see what role he can play.

Glad he came back and gave it a good honest go, but if he desires to play every week, he's going to have to move to an easier league.

10 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Yep. Hard to see what role he can play.

Glad he came back and gave it a good honest go, but if he desires to play every week, he's going to have to move to an easier league.

this is despite him being our top scorer last season and not playing too often?  I want  him to stay another season at least he is still good enough imo.  besides  he will one day be a manager and if he is good enough for that I think he could be good enough for us.

29 minutes ago, rubecula said:

this is despite him being our top scorer last season and not playing too often?  I want  him to stay another season at least he is still good enough imo.  besides  he will one day be a manager and if he is good enough for that I think he could be good enough for us.

But where would he play?

In midfield he lacks the legs to keep up, and his positional sense is poor, not to mention his passing is quite wayward.

In attack we have better options now, and hopefully with reinforcements to come.

Plus if he plays he is arguably keeping out better players (Siggy).

Thanks for the memories Wayne but best for both parties if he moves on, rather than staying on too long and disappointing fans with poor performances that will tarnish his legacy. 

11 minutes ago, London Blue said:

But where would he play?

In midfield he lacks the legs to keep up, and his positional sense is poor, not to mention his passing is quite wayward.

In attack we have better options now, and hopefully with reinforcements to come.

Plus if he plays he is arguably keeping out better players (Siggy).

Thanks for the memories Wayne but best for both parties if he moves on, rather than staying on too long and disappointing fans with poor performances that will tarnish his legacy. 

How about player coach, our best ever manager was a player manager when he took over.  I think we could use his knowledge, and he could still provide cover …..

23 minutes ago, rubecula said:

How about player coach, our best ever manager was a player manager when he took over.  I think we could use his knowledge, and he could still provide cover …..

Player (occasional) and coach is a great shout, you are right his presence, experience and leadership would be a great boost for our younger players, but I think Rooney wants to play football, its what he loves. If he can get more games playing in the states then that's what he should do. He could always come back as a coach later on ala Dunk.

8 hours ago, rubecula said:

He was our top scorer almost by default, though. By midseason, he was tired and beyond unproductive. Even early on, his goal scoring record hid some pretty disastrous performances. I appreciate the sentiment, but Man U traded strikers with us for a reason.

4 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

He was our top scorer almost by default, though. By midseason, he was tired and beyond unproductive. Even early on, his goal scoring record hid some pretty disastrous performances. I appreciate the sentiment, but Man U traded strikers with us for a reason.

By mid-season the hole team were pretty much under performing thanks mainly to the none football system brought in by Allardyce.

Rooney’s goals contributed to a lot of our points last season and if he wasn’t doing that first half of the season we would have been totally fucked, because DCL once again proved he can’t do what strikers are paid to do which is score goals.

So before you start ridiculing what he did last season think on we could have been gone without his input and that isn’t sentiment that’s fact. 

Just add to some context. Rooney scored 10 goals, 3 direct pens and the one against West Ham that he missed and then converted. 

Cenk scored 5 in the second half of the season.

Niasse scored 8.

You could also argue that without DCL's goals and assists (total 10 against Rooney's total of 12) we might have been equally as fucked early season. 

If anything those stats just go to show that Niasse should have played a lot more than he did and the creative players in our side did fuck all creating! Two of the lowest quality attacking players scored the most goals and created the most assists from open play in the squad, despite not even playing the most minutes.

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

By mid-season the hole team were pretty much under performing thanks mainly to the none football system brought in by Allardyce.

Rooney’s goals contributed to a lot of our points last season and if he wasn’t doing that first half of the season we would have been totally fucked, because DCL once again proved he can’t do what strikers are paid to do which is score goals.

So before you start ridiculing what he did last season think on we could have been gone without his input and that isn’t sentiment that’s fact. 

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

Just add to some context. Rooney scored 10 goals, 3 direct pens and the one against West Ham that he missed and then converted. 

Niasse scored 8.

You could also argue that without DCL's goals and assists (total 10 against Rooney's total of 12) we might have been equally as fucked early season. 

If anything those stats just go to show that Niasse should have played a lot more than he did and the creative players in our side did fuck all creating! Two of the lowest quality attacking players scored the most goals and created the most assists from open play in the squad, despite not even playing the most minutes.

Agree with Bailey 100% here. Rooney had the same player rating as Niasse on the season according to whoscored and his pass percentage was a full 7 points lower than your favorite player Gana. Rooney was not much, if any, above a replacement level player for us, and if we want better football and better results next season, he really shouldn’t be anywhere near our squad. You’re seeing him through blue-tinted glasses, which is understandable, but not very realistic.

There's no doubt that Rooney had a good impact in the first half of the season when it came to his goals, but he really fell off the second half of the season. 

He'll want a lot of playing time, because he is a competitor, but he doesn't have the legs/ability to play full matches anymore, at least not in this league.

I really feel he'll struggle in MLS -- he's more suited for China. MLS isn'ttt nearly as technical as the PL, but the physicality is extremely demanding. 

17 hours ago, rubecula said:

Yes. As Bailey has explained before me.

I was buzzing each and every time he scored. But I was also hissing at the amount of times he gave the ball away, and he did it in some real bad positions. A lot.

I also think he wants to play every week. And I don't think he'll come close to that when you consider that we will be playing with more energy and pace. I can't see how he will fit into a Silva system.

I won't cry if he stays, I have nothing against him, and while I agree he would be great to have around the place, I really don't think he wants a bit part role.

On 02/06/2018 at 10:51, Bailey said:

Niasse scored 8.

Bailey let me add some context here Tosun wasn’t here first half of the season my point being with out Rooney’s goals we could have been sunk DCL was woeful and Niasse was third choice behind them, which was a poor decision, so for people to completely slag Rooney off in my opinion is blinkered with out his input first half of the season we could be playing championship football next season. 

And what pissed me off was that NYblue completely slags  Rooney and his goals off as irrelevant, what a fucking load of bollocks. 

And like I said I agree that Rooney had a poor second half to the season reason mainly being Allardyce. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Bailey let me add some context here Tosun wasn’t here first half of the season my point being with out Rooney’s goals we could have been sunk DCL was woeful and Niasse was third choice behind them, which was a poor decision, so for people to completely slag Rooney off in my opinion is blinkered with out his input first half of the season we could be playing championship football next season. 

And what pissed me off was that NYblue completely slags  Rooney and his goals off as irrelevant, what a fucking load of bollocks. 

And like I said I agree that Rooney had a poor second half to the season reason mainly being Allardyce. 

People aren't slagging him though!

Just stating their own valid opinion that they can't see how he fits into our way of play.

People can say 'no' to a player without it meaning that they are slagging him or whatever.

Maybe he'll be 'born again' under Silva. But all we can go on was what we seen last season. And that wasn't enough to warrant a guaranteed start, which is what I think he's after at this time in his career.

29 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

People aren't slagging him though!

Just stating their own valid opinion that they can't see how he fits into our way of play.

People can say 'no' to a player without it meaning that they are slagging him or whatever.

Maybe he'll be 'born again' under Silva. But all we can go on was what we seen last season. And that wasn't enough to warrant a guaranteed start, which is what I think he's after at this time in his career.

Most aren’t mate and I’m not trying to convince anyone that he’s good he probably is done, but the original post I responded to was to say I didn’t agree with it and I gave reasons why about Rooney in the first half of the season, so look at what NYblue said look at my response and get back to me if you agree with what and how he said it, but don’t bother if all you want to do is debate whether Rooney’s good enough or not because I wasn’t giving an opinion on that and don’t want to be in broiled in that argument. 

He was top scorer by default, rubbish 

Early on his goal scoring record hid some disastrous performances, rubbish 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

No doubt he played a part in the first half of the season but he was still very in and out and it was why he was dropped from playing up front. It wasnt until Unsy put him in midfield that he showed some form again but that also quickly dipped.

You cant argue that Rooney added value to us at that point and then dismiss DCLs contribution as "woeful" given my previous post and that was in the context of playing up front on his own in a fucking awful side. He put in a huge shift during that period. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Most aren’t mate and I’m not trying to convince anyone that he’s good he probably is done, but the original post I responded to was to say I didn’t agree with it and I gave reasons why about Rooney in the first half of the season, so look at what NYblue said look at my response and get back to me if you agree with what and how he said it, but don’t bother if all you want to do is debate whether Rooney’s good enough or not because I wasn’t giving an opinion on that and don’t want to be in broiled in that argument. 

Oooooooh put ya handbag away missus!!!

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

No doubt he played a part in the first half of the season but he was still very in and out and it was why he was dropped from playing up front. It wasnt until Unsy put him in midfield that he showed some form again but that also quickly dipped.

You cant argue that Rooney added value to us at that point and then dismiss DCLs contribution as "woeful" given my previous post and that was in the context of playing up front on his own in a fucking awful side. He put in a huge shift during that period. 

And that was exactly my point his contribution and goals were valuable first half of season. 

42 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And you be careful you don’t ladder your tights darling 

Ladders in tights are cool.

You slowly climb up them. And at the top....you get my balls in your face.

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Ladders in tights are cool.

You slowly climb up them. And at the top....you get my balls in your face.

If I hit your balls before your cock you need to change your forum name to Tiny Tim 😜

On 01/06/2018 at 20:25, rubecula said:

Just what I've suggested in the past, so I'm with you on this.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Just what I've suggested in the past, so I'm with you on this.

thanks Steve

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

If he hadn't taken a few penalties, he wouldn't have been our top scorer.

15 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Would’ve been Niasse

17 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

So that means he’s not the real top scorer because he took 3 penalties and obviously they don’t count as real goals, or that penalties are easy to score so they shouldn’t count.                                            I’m struggling that you actually believe that to be honest that’s got be weirdest thing I’ve heard this year. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

So that means he’s not the real top scorer because he took 3 penalties and obviously they don’t count as real goals, or that penalties are easy to score so they shouldn’t count.                                            I’m struggling that you actually believe that to be honest that’s got be weirdest thing I’ve heard this year. 

So if Baines had taken and scored 12 goals, you'd claim he was our top striker?

There's a clear difference between a striker scoring goals in active play and someone scoring penalties. Of course neither is easy, but let's be clear: Rooney is not our leading scorer in open play. That title goes to Niasse.

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

And the weirdest thing I've seen all year is you typing 37 spaces between your sentences - presumably one for each of our goals last season (less the penalties). :)

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

So if Baines had taken and scored 12 goals, you'd claim he was our top striker?

There's a clear difference between a striker scoring goals in active play and someone scoring penalties. Of course neither is easy, but let's be clear: Rooney is not our leading scorer in open play. That title goes to Niasse.

Show me where striker was mentioned? and if Baines had scored 12 goals all from the spot he would be the top scorer for the season.

Rooney is the top scorer and not by default but because he scored the most goals, but because you don't rate him let's start to find ways of ridiculing his achievement, by not counting the penalties, oh let's take away any dead ball situations he may of scored from direct or indirect, then any attempts at goal that may have touched an opposition player or the keeper on the way in let's call them own goals.

There you go Niasse was the top scorer last season, know wonder a few people struggled to understand the predictions league you ran last season, you seem to have a different view on results.😃 

Now joking aside no matter how you try to gloss over it Rooney was the top scorer last season, and his goals secured us a good percentage of our points and probably had a big bearing on our survival last season.

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

And the weirdest thing I've seen all year is you typing 37 spaces between your sentences - presumably one for each of our goals last season (less the penalties). :)

Weirdest thing I’ve seen is you counting spaces to make a point :lol: 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Show me where striker was mentioned? and if Baines had scored 12 goals all from the spot he would be the top scorer for the season.

Rooney is the top scorer and not by default but because he scored the most goals, but because you don't rate him let's start to find ways of ridiculing his achievement, by not counting the penalties, oh let's take away any dead ball situations he may of scored from direct or indirect, then any attempts at goal that may have touched an opposition player or the keeper on the way in let's call them own goals.

There you go Niasse was the top scorer last season, know wonder a few people struggled to understand the predictions league you ran last season, you seem to have a different view on results.😃 

Now joking aside no matter how you try to gloss over it Rooney was the top scorer last season, and his goals secured us a good percentage of our points and probably had a big bearing on our survival last season.

Silly season is upon us. 

Who said I don’t rate him? I’m simply pointing out that our most valuable striker in terms of goals was Niasse. 

Our most valuable striker was Rooney as he scored the most and earnt is the most points.

our most efficient striker was Niasse as he had the best goals per minutes.

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Our most valuable striker was Rooney as he scored the most and earnt is the most points.

our most efficient striker was Niasse as he had the best goals per minutes.

He probably scored more from midfield didnt he? 😂

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stat-explains-exactly-wayne-rooney-14398366.amp

I missed this when it happened, but it's pretty damning. Really should have never been taking penalties for us to begin with (though I'll be forever grateful for the one he notched against the shite).

The fact is, he scored some timely goals that helped us quite a lot in the first half of the season. But if you go back to that first half of the season, plenty of us were complaining then about his propensity to make bad passes and give the ball away. He's slow, tries to do a bit too much because he wants to prove that he still has it, and seems to have his morale easily shaken in his advanced age as his skills decrease.

If we think that the occasional flash of vision, ocassional ability to find himself in good space around the penalty box (this accounts for pretty much all his non-penalty goals minus the one against City and the strike from midfield), and his leadership qualities are enough to keep him around another year, so be it.

Personally I don't think those contributions are going to do much to move us forward and improve our league position. They were helpful for a side that was floundering and needed points against the run of play, but I think his legs and his 77% pass accuracy are a detriment to a side that wants to play consistent attacking football.

2 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stat-explains-exactly-wayne-rooney-14398366.amp

I missed this when it happened, but it's pretty damning. Really should have never been taking penalties for us to begin with (though I'll be forever grateful for the one he notched against the shite).

The fact is, he scored some timely goals that helped us quite a lot in the first half of the season. But if you go back to that first half of the season, plenty of us were complaining then about his propensity to make bad passes and give the ball away. He's slow, tries to do a bit too much because he wants to prove that he still has it, and seems to have his morale easily shaken in his advanced age as his skills decrease.

If we think that the occasional flash of vision, ocassional ability to find himself in good space around the penalty box (this accounts for pretty much all his non-penalty goals minus the one against City and the strike from midfield), and his leadership qualities are enough to keep him around another year, so be it.

Personally I don't think those contributions are going to do much to move us forward and improve our league position. They were helpful for a side that was floundering and needed points against the run of play, but I think his legs and his 77% pass accuracy are a detriment to a side that wants to play consistent attacking football.

Yes because Baines was injured for most of the penalties he took and Rooney has proved himself to be a penalty taker for club and country, with Baines injured who do suggest should have had the responsibility of taking the penalties first half of the season and why.

Also first half of the season he was in top 3-4 in man of the match votes, now I'm not for one moment try to suggest that makes him a great player to be honest that isn'tt a great achievement in a team that where poor at best.

But to be fair to him he ran himself into the ground and dragged others along, scored the most goals and not by default added the most points and I believe kept us a float first half of the season.

Just now, StevO said:

Gylfi, Rooney isn’t and never had been a good penalty taker. He always seemed to get the responsibility because he is good under pressure and his stature in the team. He misses on a regular basis. 

gylfi for me too.

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

Gylfi, Rooney isn’t and never had been a good penalty taker. He always seemed to get the responsibility because he is good under pressure and his stature in the team. He misses on a regular basis. 

But what was wrong with the pens he took.