IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

Ahem, ;)

Im really happy about this, can see it as our most important signing so far.

Will help the youngsters

Will attract other new signings

Will score a fair few goals

Will assist

Will lead the team on the pitch

Will give us valuable experience in European matches.

Haha. Yes Pete!

He handed in a transfer request if my memory serves me correctly?

But yes I'll admit that without the money we would have been in big trouble

You don't think he was asked to do that so the club can save face? Just like they did to Gary Speed.

Either way... he was 18. The club was in a shit state, I don't believe we could have kept him....

He's back now. It's all about business for me not romance.

If he scores a hat trick against Liverpool my feelings may change. Let's get him fit, let's get him barking and cajoling the players and ridding them of the inferiority complex they seem to have....

Regardless anyway, he was an 18 year old lad with agents controlling him and a club who owned him in dire straits.

Do you really hold it against him? Would any of us at 18 of done any different with business men agents and a club who has to appease the fans but knows it has to sell you are circling like vultures.

"Sign this Wayne, it'll be in your best interest to go here, we can make you rich, we don't want you to go but it will be good for your career.

He was 18 FFS

Edited by Paddock

Rooney leaving us was the single worst thing I have ever experienced as an Everton fan. I remember feeling physically sick - at that point he looked like he could have been the greatest ever, he was one of ours and he left at 18, it just underlined to me how fucking unfair and bullshit the football industry could be.

For me he never came close to living up to his potential, especially in international football. being the all-time record England goalscorer will never disguise how poor he was in tournaments after Euro 2004.

Am I happy to have him back? Of course I bloody am. There hasn't been any time in the last 13 years when I wouldn't have wanted him back. Yes, I don't think he became the world beater he should have been, but he has still been up their in the world class bracket, and has a medal collection to prove it. And yes, he's 31 and his best days are behind him. He might not even be our best player on the pitch next season.

But what really excites me about what is going on at the club at the moment is that Moshiri seems to have a very clear long term plan. Off the pitch, he's doing the right things to turn us into a serious footballing brand again. On it, we're investing massively in youth, which will give us a strong business (through future transfers) and footballing platform.

I am absolutely certain Rooney will have a massive role to play in both. In commercial terms, we've just signed one of the genuine superstars of the world game. Rooney just wearing an Everton shirt makes us massively more marketable. On the pitch, we're signing a role model for the younger players, someone who knows how to win the league, the cups, the Europa and Champions League. What young player wouldn't get a buzz out of playing alongside someone like him? It will give everyone a lift, and I think he has actually matured into a pretty good captain and leader (just not for England!).

Finally, I think he comes here with a point to prove. Everyone has written him off, said he's not good enough at the top level anymore. Maybe they're right, but this is Roy of the Rovers stuff for him. He's a passionate guy anyway, you know he will be giving his absolute all to come back and lead us to glory. Having a player of his calibre, with his experience, fired up and motivated the way he will be - what could possibly go wrong lol!

all but Lukaku gone, then Rooney must be in line to be our number one striker this season - perhaps the main man in league games, with others used in cups. We also seem looking to be far more creative - So we should be reasonably optimistic that Rooney could well be best placed to be our top scorer this season - will have far more game time in his best position along with fire in his belly.

A Roy of the Rover return to Everton - being give the freedom again to be the main striker once again - Premier league top scorer - 1/100

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-goalscorer

when you look at the players ahead of him in this list - this price is very tempting as an outsider bet

I think he's been bought back to lead the line next season, and as a few have already commented he is already looking fit and trim, and pre-season training under a Koeman hasn't even started yet!!! I think we will see a much improved Rooney this season;, with a blue shirt on. I think he has maybe lacked that day to day motivation since Sir Alex retired and Moyes took over at Man U.

I really think we could get at least a couple of very good (and maybe great) seasons our of Rooney. I am sure Koeman thinks the same.