IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

Shouldn't be on high wages, that's my only real criticism on the potential move. If he really wanted to return home money shouldn't matter.

I guess effectively he would be halving his wage if the tabloids are true.

Which is a large amount of money, especially seeing as going to China would double it!

I think 150k on a 2 year contract is fair.

Sorry Steve but you talk absolute shite at times. Yes I would want Beckham at 31

Only at times? :o I'll have to do better.

Seriously, let's look at this objectively.

Players, like most assets, fit on a Bell curve. Young players are rising, improving, increasing in value. They have potential. For sure, not all make it (that's true of anything in life), but that's the best place to be. Buy young players, rising players, those yet to hit their peak, because that's where real value is.

On the other hand, players hit their peak and then drop off. Some demonstrate a long tail, providing years of steady albeit declining value. Gareth Barry, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines: they all fall into this category. In some cases, the value in the long tail is overlooked - but that assumes there is a long tail. The risk in this case is that players will drop off more quickly.

There's no question that Wayne Rooney is way past his peak. The fact that he was a brilliant player in the past is irrelevant. The fact that he rose through the Everton ranks is irrelevant. He's declining. So the question is: how quickly is he declining? From the evidence, I would say that, unfortunately, he's declining rapidly. He's no longer called up for England, despite his records and vast experience. He's no longer a starter at United, grabbing maybe two minutes in their cup final. We can speculate about why, but it's pretty much a fact. If we want to benefit from Rooney's experience, hire him as a coach in a few years' time.

The very idea of swapping Barkley for Rooney is scary. One player, full of potential, has yet to reach his peak; the other, years past his peak, is declining quickly. Why would we do that - other than for shirt sales, maybe a temporary spike in ticket sales, and grabbing a few headlines? Economically, it makes zero sense. Strategically, it makes zero sense. I've nothing against Wayne Rooney, who's up there in terms of the best players produced in England, but don't we have to be objective and dispassionate when making major decisions like this?

Edited by Cornish Steve

The fact he isn't as mobile as he used to be is exactly why he can't play in midfield. We have Morgan, Gana and Davies, the biggest strength there being that they are so mobile. Rooney can play left of a front three or in the centre on occasion, maybe 10. But he needs to be at the end of the pitch where he can do the most damage.

I keep hearing that he's not a good enough striker anymore. I'm not convince. He's had three lads ahead of him in the pecking order, so it's a while since he's done it. The skills he has in the box aren't reliant on lightening quick pace, so I don't see where he's lost so much.

I keep hearing that he's not a good enough striker anymore. I'm not convince. He's had three lads ahead of him in the pecking order, so it's a while since he's done it. The skills he has in the box aren't reliant on lightening quick pace, so I don't see where he's lost so much.

But there's a reason he has three lads ahead of him in the pecking order.

Whilst im not in any great hurry for Rooney to come back, i must say i am slightly concerned by this: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/28/koeman-keen-moshiris-advisers-unsure-everton-reportedly-split-on/

It suggests that the board are involved in the managers transfers dealings, i thought that is what we brought Walsh in for? why do Moshiri's 'advisors' need to be involved, do they not trust RK or something.

Simon, don't believe everything you read in the press, but also don't expect him to give Walsh autonomy to spend every penny however he wants. There will always be discussion and accountability.

true enough, im just slightly concerned at who these 'advisors' are given that Moshiri is an accountant himself