IGNORED

Davy Klaassen

I hope so but I don't know how we can ascertain this right now.

I would be disappointed if a player costing £25m wasn't better than a player who had suffered two cruciate knee injuries who we got on a free.... but to state tgat he's a lot better than naismith suggests that

1.Naismith wasn't very good.

2.klaasen is already showing significant improvement over naismith as a player.

It's not 1 cos naismith was a very good player. It's too early to say 2 because we haven't seen him vs prem opponents.

Naismith was a very smart player, but his physical ability was always behind his mental awareness. Klaassen seems to be able to do what he means to do on the pitch; Naismith never did really.

Not disparaging Naismith, but on one-touch passing ability alone, he already appears to be a class above.

So far klaassen has looked... not bad... for me.

Early days but he hasn't really stood out so far, even though we have looked very poor.

I really hope he is just settling and has more to offer as at the moment I agree that he may struggle to stay in the team.

Gana looks much more likely to be the box to box ore season.

Naismith was a very smart player, but his physical ability was always behind his mental awareness. Klaassen seems to be able to do what he means to do on the pitch; Naismith never did really.

Not disparaging Naismith, but on one-touch passing ability alone, he already appears to be a class above.

This for me. His one-touch passing and awareness will be huge attributes to the style that Koeman wants to play. It will take some time to gel with all of these new signings, but I think we'll see some great football going into winter if not sooner.

• 5 weeks later...

The lad reminds me very much of Timmy cahill. He will never strike a ball for 30 yards, make a 60 yard diagonal pass across field. Not will he take out any opposition with robust challengers.

This guy will link midfield to attack with clever, intriguate one touch passing.

He is receiving the ball currently in the centre of the park cause we're pushed back so much. This is where Barkley should be. We need one of our defensive midfielders to step up to the plate and driver forward with the ball, putting Davey in a much preferred position. THEN I will judge the lad.

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

just needs time to adjust.  he can press and is a good passer, i wouldn't look at his price, i think 25m is just the price for a decent player nowadays (see bolasie).  he wasn't bought to be our david silva or anything, just a solid CM/AM that can link, press and occasionally pop up in the box for a goal.

He is not a CM and will never be!

7 hours ago, yamar said:

He is not a CM and will never be!

I'm not sure he is an AM. I prefer him deeper at the moment as he gets about the pitch and gets stuck in. He doesn't seem to be a passer, he just has good movement. When he has played well it's his movement and work rate that has got him into good positions.

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure he is an AM. I prefer him deeper at the moment as he gets about the pitch and gets stuck in. He doesn't seem to be a passer, he just has good movement. When he has played well it's his movement and work rate that has got him into good positions.

Bailey he links up play with one touch killer passes. This is what he's bought for. That only happens in the AM position.

1 hour ago, hkfans said:

I think he should be benched as we already got Ronney, Sigusson, Davids, Barkley can play the AM position. We can not play 2-3 no.10 at the same time and I don't think Klaassen is better then the other players we have now. We just simple wasted 25M!

Barca plays 2 number 10s every match.  Triangle midfield, Busquets the base and then Rakitic and Iniesta both 10's more advanced.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Barca plays 2 number 10s every match.  Triangle midfield, Busquets the base and then Rakitic and Iniesta both 10's more advanced.

But we don't play like Barca! 

If we want to play with a team of 10s we have to play much more aggressively and counter press much more. You cant use slow, less mobile number 10s in a traditional sit back and counter. 

Koeman has set us up to sit back and counter. If we want to do that, we need pace.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

But we don't play like Barca! 

If we want to play with a team of 10s we have to play much more aggressively and counter press much more. You cant use slow, less mobile number 10s in a traditional sit back and counter. 

Koeman has set us up to sit back and counter. If we want to do that, we need pace.

we do when playing against the other 14 teams in the league.  which is the vast majority.  you and the rest on here are having a panic attack while taking a small sample size of matches only against the bigs and extrapolating it to every match and our overall style.  koeman isn't martinez where we set out the same every match with no plan b or C.  Bigs he goes defensive, mids and lower he goes attack like barca.  sometimes i wonder if people actually watch the matches we play or just read match reports and lineups.

33 minutes ago, StevO said:

I'm pretty sure Bailey watches the odd game or two. 

not just him.  some outrageous comments on here lately.  lost a few and it's turned into a west ham forum, fire the manager after 4 games, moshiri is a fraud, barkley is our savior and is being held out due to a conspiracy theory (not an injury), Gana and schneiderlin are shit, Stoke city is a model of success, bill is really running things behind the scenes conspiracy theories,  FFS people have gone mad ste.

I am certainly not one of the 'fire RK' brigade.  However, it does concern me that he seems to change tactics at half-time in most games recently. If the players seem confused, it is not surprising.  Also, our inability to score more than one goal per game, results in us parking the bus after we score, as we did against Stoke and Man City.

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

I am certainly not one of the 'fire RK' brigade.  However, it does concern me that he seems to change tactics at half-time in most games recently. If the players seem confused, it is not surprising.  Also, our inability to score more than one goal per game, results in us parking the bus after we score, as we did against Stoke and Man City.

with roberto "no plan b, same thing every game, every team has us sussed".  ronald "he changes things too much, half time changes all the time".  damned if you do, damned if you don't.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with roberto "no plan b, same thing every game, every team has us sussed".  ronald "he changes things too much, half time changes all the time".  damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Counter argument to that is if you keep having to change things at half-time it might suggest you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Counter argument to that is if you keep having to change things at half-time it might suggest you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

counter to that is if you don't change your stubborn.  my point being people just bitching because we lose.  if we win with half time and 25' changes people will applaud and love it.  has nothing to do with change/no change, just winning losing.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we do when playing against the other 14 teams in the league.  which is the vast majority.  you and the rest on here are having a panic attack while taking a small sample size of matches only against the bigs and extrapolating it to every match and our overall style.  koeman isn't martinez where we set out the same every match with no plan b or C.  Bigs he goes defensive, mids and lower he goes attack like barca.  sometimes i wonder if people actually watch the matches we play or just read match reports and lineups.

No we don't.  We certainly didn't against Stoke or in Europe or in any game I watched last season. Have you watched Barcalona before? Not for the first time you seem to think Koeman only took over this summer. 

I can assure you that I have had the  (mis)fortune of watching almost all our games since Koeman took over.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

not just him.  some outrageous comments on here lately.  lost a few and it's turned into a west ham forum, fire the manager after 4 games, moshiri is a fraud, barkley is our savior and is being held out due to a conspiracy theory (not an injury), Gana and schneiderlin are shit, Stoke city is a model of success, bill is really running things behind the scenes conspiracy theories,  FFS people have gone mad ste.

What outrageous comment have I made? I haven't said any of those you mentioned. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Rightly or wrongly  (read wrongly) Martinez believed that plan A was right and it was a matter of time until it came good. I don't buy into the no plan B rubbish either, he made quite a lot of subtle changes but that ship has run its course now. 

Sometime players aren't doing their job and early subs are needed but Koeman just isn't getting his tactics or player selection right and that's why subs are needed. I have never seen anything like it before. 

Probably the most interesting thing is, if you go back to before the Split game (home) you could see that everyone on here was happy with the team selection and likely tactics and lo and behold it was our best game of the season, especially first half. We also predicted the problem with our transfer targets too... maybe TT should step in!

21 hours ago, Bailey said:

I haven't seen that from him at all for us. One touch yes, killer no. I want him building from deep and running from deep.

We are 4 games into the season, maybe you want to give him and some of the others time to adapt to life in a new league.

His technique is excellent. 

7 minutes ago, London Blue said:

We are 4 games into the season, maybe you want to give him and some of the others time to adapt to life in a new league.

His technique is excellent. 

I'm not slagging him off, I'm just saying I don't think that's his game. Maybe it was in Holland, but not so much in the PL where he has less time and space. 

I have seen him in around 7 or 8 games now and haven't seen him play anything like a playmaker. For me looks like another box to box player just a clever box to box rather than a Gana type.