IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Away) Saturday April 1st

markjazzbassist

Most suggested line-ups omit Lookman and DC-L. IMO, we should start one of them, my preference in this case being Lookman.

I'd disagree and say DCL for me, scored in his last outing, scored on international duty, the lad will be full of confidence, Lookman would be great from the bench later on in the game when its stretched. His pace would cause their defence problems.

Guest rusty747

I'd disagree and say DCL for me, scored in his last outing, scored on international duty, the lad will be full of confidence, Lookman would be great from the bench later on in the game when its stretched. His pace would cause their defence problems.

I am inclined to agree provided Ronald is happy that the occasion will not get to them. Personally, I think both DCL and Mola are/will quickly become big game players and I would like to see DCL in the starting line up too - but where, and at whose expense?

Joel

Holgate. Jags. Williams. Baines

Davies. Schneiderlin. Gana

Barkley

Rom. DCL

Mirallas and Mola striking options off the bench?

With the injuries picked up so far, it's now down to Koeman earning his dough. Of the team that's been playing well for us the last few games, we have 2 + 1 key players out.

Makes squad selection, formation and tactics all the more important. I think it'll be purely up to how the manager "manages" the game.

thoughts on lineups.

robles

holgate jags williams

??? gana schneiderlin baines

Barkley Lukaku Mirallas

Robles

Holgate Jags Williams Baines

Davies Schneiderlin Gana

Barkley Lukaku Mirallas

343 just need to find a RWB (davies? lennon?, garbutt?) which is a massive weakness there. i don't see us going this route.

433 would be beneficial because no one is out of position (like the 343 RWB), if schneiderlin is injured barry can play more forward and gana be in front of the defense. I feel this formation plays more to the strengths of our team.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I'm in Cancun for the game can't get it in the hotel, has anyone been here and watched live Premiership games, if so could you please let me know where you saw them.

If I can't see it I'm going to be relying on the comments from you lads to keep me updated during the game, so keep them flooding in.

COYB

Assuming McCarthy and Schneirderlin are joining Coleman and Funes Mori on the sidelines, I think Koeman will probably go one of two ways:

4-3-3

Robles

Holgate Jagielka Williams Baines

Gueye Barry Davies

Barkley Lukaku Mirallas

3-5-2

Robles

Holgate Jagielka Williams

Kenny Gueye Barry Davies Baines

Barkley Lukaku

Koeman's lineups have been unpredictable of late so perhaps Valencia or Calvert-Lewin would play in place of Mirallas in a 4-3-3 but I don't think there are too many alternative options in defence or midfield than what I have listed. I can't say I've seen Kenny play a whole lot so maybe someone can fill me in on whether he would be more of an attacking or defensive minded RWB? When we were playing with 3 at the back in the middle of the season Coleman was getting forward a lot allowing Baines to stay back and Holgate to drift right and I thought that worked well in not leaving Rom and Barkley isolated but also in breaking up counter attacks but I don't know if Kenny is more like Coleman or like Baines.

I'm in Cancun for the game can't get it in the hotel, has anyone been here and watched live Premiership games, if so could you please let me know where you saw them.

If I can't see it I'm going to be relying on the comments from you lads to keep me updated during the game, so keep them flooding in.

COYB

NBC sports network, see if they have it

Guest rusty747

I love Ronald's quietly infectious confidence. 'We are missing 3 important players but I can still select a very strong team.' So much better than the 'knives to a gunfight' drivel of the past.

Edited by rusty747

I love Ronald's quietly infectious confidence. 'We are missing 3 important players but I can still select a very strong team.' So much better than the 'knives to a gunfight' drivel of the past.

that comment had me wondering what's left after all these injuries. Strong 11 sure, bench hardly.

Definite starters: Joel Baines Williams Jags Holgate Ross Lukaku Gueye Davies

Starter/Bench: Mirallas Barry Valencia DCL Lennon

Bench: Stek Lookman Kone Dowell Pennington Kenny Walsh

Out: Coleman Schneiderlin Mori McCarthy Bolasie Besic

This team selection is going to be fascinating

Guest rusty747

I think it has to be 4 at the back - based purely on who is available so something like:

Joel

Holgate. Jags. Williams. Baines

Gana. Barry

Davies. Barkley. DCL

Rom

I have gone for DCL over Mirallas as he started v Hull, scored and is obviously high on confidence.

The only way I can see 3 at the back working is with a 3-4-3 something like:

Joel.

Holgate. Jags. Williams

Lennon. Davies. Gana. Baines

Barkley. Rom. DCL

With the option of starting 3-1-4-2 with DCL on the bench and bringing Barry in just in front of the back three.

Edited by rusty747

Definite starters: Joel Baines Williams Jags Holgate Ross Lukaku Gueye Davies

Starter/Bench: Mirallas Barry Valencia DCL Lennon

Bench: Stek Lookman Kone Dowell Pennington Kenny Walsh

This team selection is going to be fascinating

Agree that our injuries have complicated, made fascinating, Koeman's team selection. Also agree with ANYT's list of definite starters. And if they are in fact "definite," then up to a point, Koeman's task is not complicated. But it's those last 2 spots, complicated both as to who starts and where.

Isn't it likely that the 11 starters tomorrow will not have started a single match together this season? That complicates things.

I'll guess that Schneiderlin's absence makes it likely that Barry starts. Davies and Gana provide pressing energy all over the pitch, but neither "controls from deep" the way Barry (like Schneiderlin) can. I will be surprised if Barry does not start.

The 11th starter probably comes down to Mirallas or DCL; 50/50, I'll guess Mirallas.

If Everton are behind at 60-65 minutes, and if Barry, as seems likely, can no longer play a full match anyway, his replacement at 60-65 minutes could be any of DCL, Mirallas, Valencia, Lennon, or Lookman. Or ..... Kone??? (Surely not.)

But if ahead, not clear to me who would be a defensive replacement for a tiring Barry. If ahead, "controlling from deep" is no longer a priority. Need more energy/tackling/breaking up play/disrupting Liverpool's flow. Meaning, maybe, Lennon?

If tied, subs will depend on whether Koeman thinks bold attackers can steal 3 points, or whether Everton are trying to hold on and take a point.

I'll guess, to begin the match, 3-4-2-1 ---

Stekelenburg

Holgate Jagielka Williams

Davies Gana Barry Baines

Barkley Mirallas

Lukaku