IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

Assuming we qualify for Europe we will need quite a few reinforcements in the summer. Fortunately we have a few good youngsters coming through the ranks, but we still need significant additions to the squad.

GK - Rubles - Keep, Steck - release.

LB - Baines + 1 other needed assuming Garbutt is not up to scratch

RB - Coleman + 1 other we need strong competition for him.

CB - Williams Keep, Holgate Keep, Galloway Keep, Mori - Keep, Jags let go, + 1 more needed.

CM - Morgan, Gana, Davies - Keep, McCarthy + Besic should be assessed to see if they are fit enough, Barry - keep to be a coach. We need 1 more

AM - Barkley. We need 1 more to cover and for competition.

Wingers - Bolasie - keep, Lookman - keep, Mirallas - keep, Lennon - sell. Gerri - sell, so we need 2 more wide players or inside forwards

CF - Lukaku - please keep, we need 2 more

Edited by London Blue

I'd take Harry Maguire from hull personally. Impressed me every time I've watched them play!

Also back up keeper is needed, I trust Joel - he's earnt his chance and it sends a terrible message to players waiting for their go if we replace him ( end of season performances depending )

Youri Tielmans - YES this would go someway to keeping Rom here as well.

Backup lb-rb aswell

Main priorities for me are a CB, AM, winger and a back-up striker. AM, winger and a striker could potentially be covered by 2 signings though.

I think we need to pick up a guy at his peak or close to at CB to bridge the gap between youngsters like Holgate and our senior pros in Jags and Williams. We're almost certainly going to need a new, young LB, with Garbutt seemingly not rated and Baines getting on. I think if we can get our hands on a top class keeper it could be worth persuing, but the don't think the position is a priority considering how Robles seems to be developing.

On the flip side l think we could go without a new RB, since I don't mind Holgate, Kenny, Connolly, etc picking up minutes in the cups or if Coleman gets injured. Holgate especially really impressed me when given chances there earlier in the season.

I'm not particularly knowledgable when it comes to up and coming players, but some of these guys would be on my wish list:

GK: Hart, Butland (if fit)

CB: Koulibaly, Manolas, van Dijk, Keane

LB: Robertson, Davies, Rodriguez (he's basically the new Baines anyway :P)

AM: Sigurdsson, Lanzini

Winger: No one really coming to mind. Maybe a Redmond or Zaha.

Striker: I wanted Perez or Gabbiadini over the summer and Perez especially would arguably be available and cheaper now. Could be interesting to see Rooney return at the right price too.

Edited by Vranny

Main priorities for me are a CB, AM, winger and a back-up striker. AM, winger and a striker could potentially be covered by 2 signings though.

I think we need to pick up a guy at his peak or close to at CB to bridge the gap between youngsters like Holgate and our senior pros in Jags and Williams. We're almost certainly going to need a new, young LB, with Garbutt seemingly not rated and Baines getting on. I think if we can get our hands on a top class keeper it could be worth persuing, but the don't think the position is a priority considering how Robles seems to be developing.

On the flip side l think we could go without a new RB, since I don't mind Holgate, Kenny, Connolly, etc picking up minutes in the cups or if Coleman gets injured. Holgate especially really impressed me when given chances there earlier in the season.

I'm not particularly knowledgable when it comes to up and coming players, but some of these guys would be on my wish list:

GK: Hart, Butland (if fit)

CB: Koulibaly, Manolas, van Dijk, Keane

LB: Robertson, Davies, Rodriguez (he's basically the new Baines anyway :P)

AM: Sigurdsson, Lanzini

Winger: No one really coming to mind. Maybe a Redmond or Zaha.

Striker: I wanted Perez or Gabbiadini over the summer and Perez especially would arguably be available and cheaper now. Could be interesting to see Rooney return at the right price too.

A lot of pipe dreams in there, optimism is key though!

Nice list. I'd add Schmeichel, Bertrand, Mcquire and Antonio to it. Not sure about the striker. The best out of the teams below us must be either Grey or Benteke, neither of which I particularly like. Koeman will probably like the look of Grey and Vardy. Think when Rom goes we will have to recruit from abroad and take a risk.

I mean how people think signing players in real life is like in a game. There are much more variables in real life plus people on forums base their opinions on players on very little actual fact (I'm guilty of the same). There's more to building a good team than just picking the best available players. Some things to consider:

• Would the player be interested in coming and is he available at a price we might be willing to pay? How much wages would he demand and would he have other demands (for instance apparently Hart wanted guarantees of first team football)? FFP need to be remembered, even if the player is a free transfer.
  • Would he be value for money? For instance, if a player had a poor season is it his real level or are there other issues that can be overcome? And vice versa, if a player had a good season is that his normal level? Walsh was very good at Leicester at finding players in the former category and I hope he does it again. They would be players a lot of the fans would criticize because "he's shite, lad" simply because they can't see behind the circumstances.
  • Would he fit in with the existing group, mentally? Does he have a good attitude? What is he like in the locker room? Is he a winner-type or someone who hides when things get rough?
  • Does he fit with the way Koeman wants the team to play? Spurs for instance is very much built to Pocchetino's specifications (fast, strong, physical).

Most of these are things we punters just can't know because having seen a player once or twice or even five times is just not enough. And even then we wouldn't know many important things about the player.

You read far to into this :rofl:

Just a bit of lighthearted, non informed suggestions. Like you say, as punters (for the most part) we have no idea as to the players Everton are actually targeting.

Just a discussion mate. Don't look too deep.

Edit: p.s. i've never played Football Manager in my life either, so previous suggestions of me doing so are incredibly wide of the mark. (not aimed at you Makis)

Edited by Lowensda

You read far to into this :rofl:

Just a bit of lighthearted, non informed suggestions. Like you say, as punters (for the most part) we have no idea as to the players Everton are actually targeting.

Just a discussion mate. Don't look too deep.

Edit: p.s. i've never played Football Manager in my life either, so previous suggestions of me doing so are incredibly wide of the mark. (not aimed at you Makis)

It was just why I tend to feel a bit iffy doing these listings, nothing more. Of course there are loads of suggestions that clearly are stupid on more than one way and most of the rest is just people talking about players they have probably not even seen play, or maybe seen once and base their opinion on that. It's totally understandable that normal people don't see that many players outside their favourite team because it would take an enormous amount of time to follow even the Premier League adequately.

It was just why I tend to feel a bit iffy doing these listings, nothing more. Of course there are loads of suggestions that clearly are stupid on more than one way and most of the rest is just people talking about players they have probably not even seen play, or maybe seen once and base their opinion on that. It's totally understandable that normal people don't see that many players outside their favourite team because it would take an enormous amount of time to follow even the Premier League adequately.

Absolutely. I used to be incredibly sad (old users know). I used to watch some right shite leagues and games, just because a player was 'up and coming'. Spent far too much time analyzing games and players that were potential superstars. Now a days, I have little to no time at all, I even (shamefully) miss a lot of our games now a days :(

That's why my suggestions were headline grabbers, rather than unearthed.

Surely even if you rate him you must think there are better options to go after first? He should be near the bottom of our list of our targets, and seen as a plan D or something.

There are other big names sure, but I think he could be for us what Cahill is for chelsea. I wasn't impressed when we were first linked but after paying some attention to him he's holding that hull defence together.

I want big names like everyone but I don't want to forget our roots - spotting a talented player and giving them a go.

Putting one out there that I don't expect a positive result on - Chris Wood from Leeds as back up CF ( 25 year old, scoring for fun, built for premier league )

Putting one out there that I don't expect a positive result on - Chris Wood from Leeds as back up CF ( 25 year old, scoring for fun, built for premier league )

Jesus that's a bold shout! I watch Leeds a lot, he isn't as bad as some will think, I do think we maybe ahead of his talent but he is defo an improvement on Kone!

Pontus Jansson from Leeds looks like he could be a decent premier league level defender too.

There are other big names sure, but I think he could be for us what Cahill is for chelsea. I wasn't impressed when we were first linked but after paying some attention to him he's holding that hull defence together.

He should be a last resort, nothing more. Don't forget our roots? I want us to sign the best player we can, and Harry Maguire is not it. Sure you go after him if you've exhausted all other options, but there is no way we should be looking at him before the likes of Keane.

Notice everyone typing up long lists of players. Would much rather add a few quality players / stars then a whole new team. Two to three big signings. If that was the limit then CB, AM, and ST would be the focus.

Cannot believe the Coleman and Baines shade in this thread. Class acts. Both of them. Also both Holgate (right) and Galloway (left) can put in shifts as fullbacks. Plus Antone Robinson (left) has been impressive in the youth squad and Callum Connolly (right) has banged in 2 goals in 7 for Wigan on loan as a RB. Granted most of the youth I mention here would be considered CBs but all have had multiple games in fullback roles. Maybe something to address in the future but unsure about the summer. Need that star power up front first.

(assuming Garbutt is done, seeing that he can't get a u21 game over Robinson)

Notice everyone typing up long lists of players. Would much rather add a few quality players / stars then a whole new team. Two to three big signings. If that was the limit then CB, AM, and ST would be the focus.

Cannot believe the Coleman and Baines shade in this thread. Class acts. Both of them. Also both Holgate (right) and Galloway (left) can put in shifts as fullbacks. Plus Antone Robinson (left) has been impressive in the youth squad and Callum Connolly (right) has banged in 2 goals in 7 for Wigan on loan as a RB. Granted most of the youth I mention here would be considered CBs but all have had multiple games in fullback roles. Maybe something to address in the future but unsure about the summer. Need that star power up front first.

(assuming Garbutt is done, seeing that he can't get a u21 game over Robinson)

Neither garbutt or Galloway is a fullback. We need proper backups and have the resources now so there's no excuse. Also they should both be young to take over soon for baines and long term for Coleman.

I always find these threads a little weird, because it always seems to sum up the latest threads in the Rumourama :lol:

That, and everyone wants a mass influx which drives me nuts

simply put matt we have a lot of needs. we've been blessed with little injuries but next year with possible Europa and both cups and Jags/Barry/Baines getting older and Lukaku possibly gone, that's a lot right there. Plus we have needed other reinforcements for a while. Simply put we can't just throw jonjoe kenny in for coleman and act like he's up to premier league quality.

CB, RB cover, ACM/W/forward cover, Striker cover is minimum for me if no one is leaving.

Think you know how I feel about a large turnover of players, Mark ;) It's a project, and in a project you don't throw everything at the first stage, you pace yourself so that teams and the tactics blend, otherwise you end up with a mess

I got that, so how many maximum is ok with you? Please factor in Europa and 2 cups and league. Plus injuries.

I got that, so how many maximum is ok with you? Please factor in Europa and 2 cups and league. Plus injuries.

think i already mentioned 4, maybe a 5th but only if high quality. We can hopefully continue to stock up in January.

I was and am still banking on at least 2 competitions too

He should be a last resort, nothing more. Don't forget our roots? I want us to sign the best player we can, and Harry Maguire is not it. Sure you go after him if you've exhausted all other options, but there is no way we should be looking at him before the likes of Keane.

I get your point pal, I guess I haven't seen a lot of Keane so haven't really got an opinion of him. I'd love a van Dyk or someone similar but I want money spent wisely.

I get your point pal, I guess I haven't seen a lot of Keane so haven't really got an opinion of him. I'd love a van Dyk or someone similar but I want money spent wisely.

VVD is probably out of our range (not in terms of money), but Keane is the next best option for us imo. He'd be a great signing and it would be spending money wisely I reckon.

VVD is probably out of our range (not in terms of money), but Keane is the next best option for us imo. He'd be a great signing and it would be spending money wisely I reckon.

I guess that's how I feel about Maguire, regardless I trust whoever we bring in will do the job require. Although I've been saying it since we finished 5th a few years ago, were 2/3 players away from being right up there...

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a massive window coming up as yesterday showed how short we are in key areas. I'd say the main issues are lack of back-up defensively, big game players and attacking mobility.

I'd guess we need at least 10 new faces to cover the outgoings of the past 2 windows and expected outgoings this summer.

Gk- we need a new first choice keeper. Joel has done well but he's not going to take us to the next level. Pickford looks decent but I'd be keeping a very close eye on how Butland's return to 1st football goes.

Full-backs - Coleman's injury means we need someone to take his place rather than just back-up. Personally I would test how happy Trippier is playing 2nd fiddle to Walker at Spurs. There's a few quality left backs that could replace Baines. I like Rodriguez at Wolfsburg but think Robertson (Hull), Tierney (Celtic), Taylor (Leeds) could all be good options to take that position off an aging Baines.

Cb - I'd sell Mori and free Jags so that leaves us with just Williams and Holgate/Galloway as back options when playing 3 cbs. Keane must be a priority then we still need at least 1 more who can go straight in. van Dijk seems unrealistic but would be ideal. Maguire and Gibson are decent shouts but I'd look at players like Monalos first.

Defensive/central midfielders - in Gueye, Davies and Schneiderlin (and hopefully a fully fit Besic) I think we're strong but with McCarthy's future questionable and Barry likely to play very little (that's if he's even here) maybe we need 1 more. Hopefully Walsh or Williams can step up and make a similar impact to Davies but it's a big ask.

Attack midfielders/wingers - this is where we are seriously lacking. We need to spend big to improve this area. Liverpool have Mane, Firminho, Coutinho and Lallana - all who would improve us. Barkley has the quality but need better attacking players to interchange with and play clever 1-2s. Bolassie will hopefully come back strong as I think he's good enough but that probably won't be until 2018. I'd like Geri to come back and flourish with stronger defensive players behind him and think Mirallas is a decent option but we need at least 2 top quality attacking/mobile midfielders to allow our decent options be back-up.

Strikers/forwards - we will hopefully keep Lukaku and in Calvert-Lewin and Lookman we have great prospects for the future. This is where we are crying out for Rooney in my opinion - he is still good enough as a 2nd striker on the pitch but I just think he can help change the whole mentality of the club. He's done it all, he's a massive name and he's an Evertonian. I still think we need another too. This is where we need a Steve Walsh gem as not many established strikers are going to choose us with the prospect of sitting on the bench.

That's my take on things.

Edited by c1982