IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

I think Galloway will have to go out on loan again if you don't leave that backup LB spot open for him. I think the same could go for Holgate and the backup RB position if we sign another CB and don't sell Funes Mori or Jags. I don't think Galloway and Holgate will be content being 4th and 5th choice CBs and 3rd choice fullbacks..

I've always thought it's better that your backup RB and LB's are equally adept at playing CB as it means you can have an extra attacking player on the bench and also it means that those players get more opportunities - Oviedo and Hibbert would go for months at a time without a minute of first team action and then would suddenly be thrust into the start XI.

I think Galloway will have to go out on loan again if you don't leave that backup LB spot open for him. I think the same could go for Holgate and the backup RB position if we sign another CB and don't sell Funes Mori or Jags. I don't think Galloway and Holgate will be content being 4th and 5th choice CBs and 3rd choice fullbacks..

I've always thought it's better that your backup RB and LB's are equally adept at playing CB as it means you can have an extra attacking player on the bench and also it means that those players get more opportunities - Oviedo and Hibbert would go for months at a time without a minute of first team action and then would suddenly be thrust into the start XI.

Luke Garbutt

I can see us getting around 5 new players: one or two bargain buys from relegated teams such as Gylfi Sigurðsson or Jordan Pickford, two players around the £25-30m mark, like Virgil Van Dijk, Xherdan Shaqiri or similar, and then a couple of Steve Walsh gems.

If Lukaku goes, then I can see us using that money on a couple of high-profile strikers, I think one will be Wayne Rooney and the other will be someone much younger but I'm struggling to come up with a name of one that's realistic..

Because he's not a left back. He didn't do a good job as a left back at all. As a defender yeah he did alright, but not as what a left back needs to be in our side.

We should be looking to bring in a left back and phase Baines out to be the back up.

agreed, he's either a CB or he's sold but he sure as hell ain't a LB.

The more I watch this side, the more I don't want to see a massive influx this summer. I'm really excited about the squad we have, I want to see what these players can do. Backup/replacement for Rom and some defenders, though I'd like to see Holgate, Galloway et al get a fair crack. Other than that, I don't see it needing major surgery.

The more I watch this side, the more I don't want to see a massive influx this summer. I'm really excited about the squad we have, I want to see what these players can do. Backup/replacement for Rom and some defenders, though I'd like to see Holgate, Galloway et al get a fair crack. Other than that, I don't see it needing major surgery.

Really?

Coleman might never be the same player, Baines is getting old, Jags and Williams are at the end of their careers too, Robles isn't good enough, Funes Mori isn't good enough

We have one striker, Barry can't go on much longer, I doubt we'll see Gerald back at the club (although I hope so).

We need major surgery!

That's 7-8 players at least - admittedly not all need to be starters. At that's before the prospect of Rom leaving (and even potentially Barkley).

Holgate and Davies are great and I can see them playing Champions League level. But unfortunately I don't think the same is true for Pennington or DCL. They might be OK premiership players but they aren't going to get us to the next level IMHO.

Lookman is an interesting one. Koeman obviously rates him and he's looked good from what little I've seen of him.

It was a straight copy and paste my opinion, although I would love it to bare true !

It's this bit that concerned me:

“Transfer fees went through the roof and wages went through the roof and I think more of the same will happen.
“What we've got to do is operate in that window as we always have done, looking out for best value and being as good as we can in terms of negotiating and getting the best bang for our buck in that sense.
That doesn't fill me with confidence

What else could he say though? 'We will pay whatever it takes to get our targets' would just increase transfer fees whenever Everton came knocking.

Didn't have to say anything, other than we're going to invest heavily in the squad. I'm usually optimistic and patient, but when it comes to Elstone I get extremely sceptical

Despite us being a bit more cash rich we must still be astute with our signings.

Take Idrissa Gueye for instance, he was a bargain at £7m or so and other clubs quite easily spend £20m for a player in that position who just isn't as good.

How much money have a certain other club spent on transfers to stand still? Whilst you look at Spurs who operate on a strict wage scale and they are genuine title contenders.

It's not just about splashing out, it's about targeting the right players at the right time and paying the appropriate price.

I'm glad that Everton are going to continue to operate shrewdly. We are just in the market for £20m bargains now ;-)

spot on. i'd prefer to stay in the "Smartest Spend League" with the likes of Atletico, Monaco, Spurs, Napoli, Juve than join the "money league" with United, Real, Barca, Bayern, City, PSG, Arse, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc.

I'm all for sensible buying, and I actually think negotiation wise we're very strong.

My concern is Elstone saying "as we've always done", which to me implies go for targets but end up with a panic loan and a few gambles.

Like I said, when he talks, I automatically get worried so I'm probably just overreacting

truth is matt is lukaku goes we have tons of funds and will need to spend it, if he doesn't go we'll have the standard 30m kitty. i expect business as ususal no splashing of cash because they are trying to get the payroll and FFP in order by raising wages to raise payroll incrementally so we can eventually splash cash. Also they are more focused financially on the stadium, I don't think a big player in addition to the kitty spending would make much sense.

also the more i look at it, i don't think we need that much in terms of players after hearing Ron is comfortable with a smaller squad.

GK - Stek

RB - Coleman

CB - WIlliams, Mori, Jags, Holgate, Galloway, Pennington

LB - Baines, Garbutt

CM - Gana, Schneiderlin, Davies, Barry, Besic

ACM/W/Forwards - Barkley, Mirallas, Bolasie, Lookman, Valencia

Striker - Lukaku, Calvert-Lewin

Sell - Robles, Mccarthy (maccarthy self explanatory, robles because he's young and will command a decent fee as stek is old and backup is fine with him)

Release - anyone who's contract is up kone, etc.

Right off the bat we'd need a RB, GK, Striker which with the sales listed and players relseased we'd have enough to get our targets with that and the kitty. We'd be solid.

If we sold Lukaku we'd be able to get a better ACM/W/Forward to add, maybe add a young LB to takeover for Baines, and add another striker to replace lukaku in addition to the addtiions mentioned above. Probably be able to keep a little of the money for January as well in case we have injuries.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Not sure where you got the number for "standard kitty" mate, it changes every year based on a lot of factors. We apparently had 30m last summer for Sissoko (bullet dodged), then the budget for this year so I expect 70m+ before additional player sales (but I'm picking that out of the air). Trouble is, we've seen this statement many times before, under different circumstances I'll grant you.

Also, I'd rather be releasing Stek and keeping Joel, even if it means Joel going back to being a number 2 and we get another keeper in (still not convinced by any of the names bandied about). We won't get a decent fee for him because he's only got 12 months on his contract left. Either that, or keep Stek as #2 and offer Joel a contract then loan him out to get the game experience he needs.

I'd agree with the rest

Yeah, I'd rather keep Joel than Stek. Joel is a least a decent #2, and I really don't trust Stek -- he's not very mobile, and he's only going to keep losing it at his age.

Think we need a striker (2 if Lukaku goes), ACM/W, CB, RB, CM, LB, and then a GK, in that order. Of course this list would change depending on who is no longer in Ron's plans.

Not sure where you got the number for "standard kitty" mate, it changes every year based on a lot of factors. We apparently had 30m last summer for Sissoko (bullet dodged), then the budget for this year so I expect 70m+ before additional player sales (but I'm picking that out of the air). Trouble is, we've seen this statement many times before, under different circumstances I'll grant you.

Also, I'd rather be releasing Stek and keeping Joel, even if it means Joel going back to being a number 2 and we get another keeper in (still not convinced by any of the names bandied about). We won't get a decent fee for him because he's only got 12 months on his contract left. Either that, or keep Stek as #2 and offer Joel a contract then loan him out to get the game experience he needs.

I'd agree with the rest

not sure what reality you live in matt, that's the number we spend every year if we don't sell anyone.

Summer

Besic

Galloway

Lukaku

37m

Winter

None blew it all on lukaku

Summer

mori

holgate

gerry

lennon

22m

Winter

Niasse

15m

Summer -Sold stones

stek

williams

gana

bolasie

calvert lewin

45.5m pounds

Winter

morgan

lookman

26.5m pounds

average spend per year was 37m with martinez, making it 18.5m a window. With Koeman 72m but subtract the 46.5 from stones and you have 25.5.

i'm spot on matt, 20m-25m kitty irrespective of transfers. 70m without selling rom would be tripling that, no way in hell that happens.

not sure what reality you live in matt, that's the number we spend every year if we don't sell anyone.

Summer

Besic

Galloway

Lukaku

37m

Winter

None blew it all on lukaku

Summer

mori

holgate

gerry

lennon

22m

Winter

Niasse

15m

Summer -Sold stones

stek

williams

gana

bolasie

calvert lewin

45.5m pounds

Winter

morgan

lookman

26.5m pounds

average spend per year was 37m with martinez, making it 18.5m a window. With Koeman 72m but subtract the 46.5 from stones and you have 25.5.

i'm spot on matt, 20m-25m kitty irrespective of transfers. 70m without selling rom would be tripling that, no way in hell that happens.

Nice break down but I've got a few points to make :) Easiest one first, just to nit-pick bit, but 20-25m isn't 30m (as you first said) :P

Seriously though, you're missing some of our sales, like Felliani at £28m which paid for Rom, Jelavic for 8m, Naismith 8.5m, Gibson&Oviedo for £7.5m... Throw in Stones and thats £100m in sales from 6 players off the top of my head, meaning out of the £146m you calculated, only £46m has been spent over 3-4 years, so nearer to £10-15m at a push.

I'm not going down the road of on wages vs new improved contracts or expenses of signing on fees etc. because I don't have the details and it'll get complicated

I live in the reality of having had to spend to buy with minimal investment, as we have done for far too long, up until very recently. But now everything is different. The situation changed massively even in the last 6 months. TV money (something I don't think we were able to utilise properly because of the tax year implications), £5m minimum additional income from higher table finish, financial backing of Morishi (not just "direct" funds for players, but also no interest on loans to pay = more money to the squad, in theory at least) new sponsorships like FF, shirt deals, etc., big cuts to the wage bracket (230k-ish per week from TC, Gibson, Oviedo, McGeady, Niasse, soon to be Kone etc) not to mention the transfer fees of TC, McGeady, Niasse, and some kids which is probably around £20m in expected income as of June..... It all adds up mate.

I think £70m for 3-4 players is very realistic in theory, especially with the expected £120m (up from £80m) per club input from the latest TV deal which we've certainly not spent much of. My concern is that it won't happen, but we'll just have to wait and see :)

Nice break down but I've got a few points to make :) Easiest one first, just to nit-pick bit, but 20-25m isn't 30m (as you first said) :P

Seriously though, you're missing some of our sales, like Felliani at £28m which paid for Rom, Jelavic for 8m, Naismith 8.5m, Gibson&Oviedo for £7.5m... Throw in Stones and thats £100m in sales from 6 players off the top of my head, meaning out of the £146m you calculated, only £46m has been spent over 3-4 years, so nearer to £10-15m at a push.

I'm not going down the road of on wages vs new improved contracts or expenses of signing on fees etc. because I don't have the details and it'll get complicated

I live in the reality of having had to spend to buy with minimal investment, as we have done for far too long, up until very recently. But now everything is different. The situation changed massively even in the last 6 months. TV money (something I don't think we were able to utilise properly because of the tax year implications), £5m minimum additional income from higher table finish, financial backing of Morishi (not just "direct" funds for players, but also no interest on loans to pay = more money to the squad, in theory at least) new sponsorships like FF, shirt deals, etc., big cuts to the wage bracket (230k-ish per week from TC, Gibson, Oviedo, McGeady, Niasse, soon to be Kone etc) not to mention the transfer fees of TC, McGeady, Niasse, and some kids which is probably around £20m in expected income as of June..... It all adds up mate.

I think £70m for 3-4 players is very realistic in theory, especially with the expected £120m (up from £80m) per club input from the latest TV deal which we've certainly not spent much of. My concern is that it won't happen, but we'll just have to wait and see :)

so by your calculations we have an even smaller kitty (thanks for including the other sales, i do appreciate that). Which means going from a 15m kitty to the 70m you mention is even more absurd. the 30m i say is due to some TV money and inflation and would be a more realistic approximation (i'm saying not including sales, we get 15m for mccarthy we now have 45m). Most of the TV money doesn't matter, we still need that to pay off debts and save for the stadium. Remember Arsenal and the emirates with wenger? similar but more money to spend due to TV deal.

When you think of it, selling Fellaini to bring in Lukaku was deal of the decade.

agreed, i remember certain members saying well never even get his fee back, turns out were going to get more than double. hell of a signing.

so by your calculations we have an even smaller kitty (thanks for including the other sales, i do appreciate that). Which means going from a 15m kitty to the 70m you mention is even more absurd. the 30m i say is due to some TV money and inflation and would be a more realistic approximation (i'm saying not including sales, we get 15m for mccarthy we now have 45m). Most of the TV money doesn't matter, we still need that to pay off debts and save for the stadium. Remember Arsenal and the emirates with wenger? similar but more money to spend due to TV deal.

agreed, i remember certain members saying well never even get his fee back, turns out were going to get more than double. hell of a signing.

i don't think it's absurd at all. I've mentioned an already guaranteed £25m just from player sales and league finish. Add to that the £10-15m we usually spend is £35-40m, then factor in TV money and potential investment from the improved deals and investments. We have no debt anymore (well, none that costs, Morishis loan is interest free) and stadium money won't take up all the money from TV and sponsorship improvements.

Another thing on the TV Money; we were getting roughly £80m until last summer when it jumped to approximately £120m - an additional 50% in income - split over 3 seasons. As we had a balanced sales vs buys last summer more or less we should still be looking at £110-120m for the remainder of the deal.

Now, a lot of that will go the the stadium and other ventures, but even if 33% of it goes to the squad, that's 30-40m to spend. Throw that on top of the 35-40 calculated before et voila