IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

I can sort of understand the criticism towards Gana preferring McCarthy over his is funny. Neither has been very good going forward and they seem to score at about the same pace but Gana's tackling clearly sets him apart. He wins way more balls. For instance, McCarthy's best season tackling-wise was last season where he averaged 2.7 tackles and 1.8 interceptions per game. Gana has 4.3 tackles and 2.5 interceptions per game this season. Gana's influence in the middle of the park in general is clearly greater.

Just read that each place this season is with £1.9m, nearly double that of the previous season. It means roughly an additional £10m in the kitty by finishing 7th instead of 11th, about 50% more than I was expecting

£2m according to this. If it's accurate our total prize money should be around £130m; the table has 7th at £137m but that's skewed because they use last season's TV revenue for each position and for some bizarre reason Wham had more than anyone else.

Premier-League-TV-rights-money-distribut

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10882712/premier-league-out-of-contract-xi-and-every-player-whos-free-to-leave

Navas would be worth a look at. He was being picked over Milner a couple of years ago. Hard worker, but with the usual winger problems.

Speroni, would be an upgrade on Stekelenberg and give Joel competition.

Adrian, better than Joel. However Robles could potentially be better than him in the future.

Sagna, not big on him, but would be good enough to cover until Coleman is back. Baines is getting on so Clichy as well.

O'Shea, replace Jagielka.

Fletcher, replace Barry.

Edited by pete0

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10882712/premier-league-out-of-contract-xi-and-every-player-whos-free-to-leave

Navas would be worth a look at. He was being picked over Milner a couple of years ago. Hard worker, but with the usual winger problems.

Adrian, better than Joel. However Robles could potentially be better than him in the future.

Sagna, not big on him, but would be good enough to cover until Coleman is back. Baines is getting on so Clichy as well.

Fletcher, replace Barry.

I wouldn't have a single one you've mentioned. Not one.

Edited by Romey 1878

Some hugely poor shouts from Pete there! O'shea??? Only one that I'd take would be Jesus Navas

That's being kind. I wouldn't have Navas near our squad. Way too inconsistent. We need to aim higher if we're to improve and actually challenge the current top 6.

Fletcher, replace Barry.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Great player but he's to old imo for what he'd cost

O'Shea and Fletcher are yard dogs massive backward steps

one old head with a flurry of 20-25 year olds would be fine for me, a seasonsed pro who could help bring more off the pitch than on it

I worry about how many genuine first team players we have at the club, especially worthy of top 6 clubs. I think I have probably been too positive in the past but in terms of genuine week after week starters I only have the following:

Coleman (if he returns the same player)

Schneiderlin

Gana

McCarthy (if he stays fit)

Barkley

Davies

Lukaku

I would keep the following in the squad to be used as and when required but not to he used week in week out:

Barry

Baines

Jags

Williams

Mirallas

Robles (just)

Gerry

And then we have the following youngsters that we know about that look like they have a future:

Holgate

DCL (dubious)

Lookman (dubious)

We need a keeper, a new back 4, we are sorted in the central midfield but we need two wingers, a creative midfielder, and at least another decent striker.

That's much less than the teams below us, who maybe have one or two top 6 players but it's a mile off the likes of Spurs and Chelsea. Although it's not far off the likes of Utd or Arsenal however they have lots more in the second category of quality players who can step in when needed.

I think we need at least 9 in this summer. I know it seems excessive but I want at least 2 quality players in each position. In my head I'd like the squad depth to be something like this...

GK:

1. New GK*

2. Robles

RB:

1. Coleman

2, Kenny

CB:

1. New CB*

2. Williams

CB:

1, New CB*

2, Holgate

LB:

1. New LB*

2. Baines

CM:

1. Gana

2. McCarthy

CM:

1. Schneiderlin

2. Barry

CM:

1. Davies

2. Besic

RW:

1. New RW*

2. Deulofeu

LW:

1. New LW*

2. Mirallas

3. Bolasie (when he's back)

AM:

1. New AM*

2. Barkley

CF:

1. Lukaku

2. New CF*

3. New CF*

Getting rid:

1. Stekelenburg

2. Mori

3. Jagielka

4. Kone (Released)

5. Valencia (Back to WH)

U23S:

1. Lookman

2. DCL

3. Pennington

Loan:

1. Galloway

2. Garbutt

I worry about how many genuine first team players we have at the club, especially worthy of top 6 clubs. I think I have probably been too positive in the past but in terms of genuine week after week starters I only have the following:

Coleman (if he returns the same player)

Schneiderlin

Gana

McCarthy (if he stays fit)

Barkley

Davies

Lukaku

I would keep the following in the squad to be used as and when required but not to he used week in week out:

Barry

Baines

Jags

Williams

Mirallas

Robles (just)

Gerry

And then we have the following youngsters that we know about that look like they have a future:

Holgate

DCL (dubious)

Lookman (dubious)

We need a keeper, a new back 4, we are sorted in the central midfield but we need two wingers, a creative midfielder, and at least another decent striker.

That's much less than the teams below us, who maybe have one or two top 6 players but it's a mile off the likes of Spurs and Chelsea. Although it's not far off the likes of Utd or Arsenal however they have lots more in the second category of quality players who can step in when needed.

You make a post like that but still don't think Koeman has brought about progress by getting us to where we are now. Hmmm!

Where do we need to strengthen the most?

Ok

Goal keepers?

Center backs?

Right back/ Left back/ Wing backs?

Center mid/ Defensive mid/ Box to box mid/ Ball playing mid?

Attacking mid/ Creative mid/ Wingers?

Strikers/ Target man/ Goal poacher?

What's our priority this summer? What have we already got your happy with? What do we need the most?

Edited by coxy051

Ill start by saying we need a keeper! A first choice keeper. As much as I like Joel and want him to do good he can't be our number one going forward! I love the fact he gets the club and he's happy here but at the moment he's not a top six goal keeper. In time he might be, he's got all the attributes to do well but he doesn't fill me or our defence with confidence i think. So a new keeper is a priority for me. Who we could get to go straight in is going to be hard, Id break the bank for Fraser Forster.

A new keeper would be nice and we probably will buy one, but this should be like the 5th or 6th priority in terms of signings. Robles is a B to B+ keeper. Someone list me the occasions where we dropped points because of Robles this season? And then give me the list of the available A-quality goalkeepers who are realistic transfers?

IMO if you want to increase efficiency in this squad, the priority of signings should look like this:

1. a quicker, ball-playing central defender to partner Williams

2. a quick tall target-man striker to either replace or supplement Lukaku

3. a right winger who can get 8+ goals and alleviate the goalscoring responsibilities

4. a creative attacking play maker to either replace or supplement Barkley

5. a new goalkeeper

6. a designated right back who has greater crossing accuracy than Mason Holgate

7. a backup left back

You make a post like that but still don't think Koeman has brought about progress by getting us to where we are now. Hmmm!

He's not alone in this!

People do say that Koeman has only done what is expected but then go on to say we need to strengthen in just about every area, then reel off half the squad that needs replacing!!! I think people genuinely forget about the aging process when it comes to football!!!

Amazing.

I really don't get the "where we should be" bollocks

Why should we be 7th? That's the whole point of having a league with transfer windows varying managerial changes etc daft logic imo

We are where our wage bill and net spend is. If you look at league positions they usually land within one or two places of wage bills and money spent.

We are where our wage bill and net spend is. If you look at league positions they usually land within one or two places of wage bills and money spent.

And... Spurs are 6th United are 2nd

What were United and Chelsea last season Leicester West ham, you can't use that as a direct reason for a clubs position that generally sits outside the top four