IGNORED

The power of music

johnh

I was on another website where the power of songs/tunes in relation to memory/nostalgia was discussed. My top two are:

Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover by Vera Lynn. If I close my eyes when I hear this, I am immediately transported back to war-time and air-raid shelters.

Que Sera, Sera. (Doris Day?) If I hear this, I could be back in Singapore 1955. (National Service)

It really is uncanny how strong the feeling is.

What is yours?

Yes. Music is very powerful for me, too. Some of the associations, though, are unexpected.

Elgar's Serenade for Strings reminds me very specifically of the chess congresses in which I used to play as a teen (simply because I listened to that piece a lot during that time).

A certain aria from Tippett's opera The Midsummer Marriage reminds me of when my wife and I were engaged.

The first movement of Mozart's 40th symphony reminds me of Christmas 1969 (I was given this piece as a 33rpm record).

Albinoni's Adagio reminds me of coming into land at Gatwick.

The piece 'Theme One' by George Martin, which used to begin daily broadcasts on Radio 1 and 2 in the 70s, reminds me of traveling the North Circular as a child in our family car.

'Gwahoddiad' reminds me of my time living in North Wales.

A specific section of Copeland's Appalachian Spring reminds me of when we moved to south Florida to live.

The most emotional piece for me, though, is Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations. It's just a powerful feeling of nostalgia.

By the way, other senses can transport me back in time, too. The smell of mulch reminds me instantly of first landing in the US - at Boston's Logan airport. There's a distinctive smell, almost of rotting foliage, that reminds me of India. Incense reminds me of a particular trip to Thailand. And the smell of pasties always take me back to Cornwall. :)

very powerful for me as well. almost every song transports me to a time and place or scenario in my life. i read a wonderful poem from the writer's almanac a while ago (and have since looked for it and can't find it) where in essence the poet writes that music moves us so much because it reminds us of another time/place/dimension, perhaps our souls in the afterlife, pre-life, re-incarnation. was really moving and thought provoking.

im with you steve, smell is very powerful for me as well.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Neil Young would be top of my list, takes me back to my teenage and sends shivers down my spine, pushed on one track I'd go for Don't Let It Bring You Down.

Also Dean Friedman and his Well Well said the Rocking Chair album which my first "true love's" favourite so we listened to it a lot, Lydia probably the stand-out track. We were only together for about three years and just grew apart a bit but stayed really close friends and actually saw Friedman together in that time. She died from MS at twenty-nine, still make me very sad thinking about that.

I started to take an interest in music late sixties early seventies, Bowie, T.Rex and the Motown sound take me back to when I was 10.

Then my world exploded when the Ramones, Clash and Sex Pistols arrived and brought a totally new sound that took me on fantastic journey in my mid-late teens.

To be fair my music taste is very varied but those years I remember with great fondness, of friends that I still see 45years on and meeting my girlfriend friend in 1977 when I was 17 and now she is still my wife, and I remember being round her parents house playing Stylistics records, which we still listen to together now.

Im getting quite nostalgic and emotional posting this, that's the power of music that take you back to special times in your life.