IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

Vote for me and you'll get exactly the opposite of everything I say :rofl:.

I've just been looking back at some of her u-turns/contradictions.

1- Gordon Brown has no democratic mandate after Tony Blair resigns. Takes over from Cameron...

2- Remain voter, Leave bulldozer

3- No early GE... Launches a GE

4- National insurance

5- Hinkley Point

That's after 5 minutes of google....

'When the facts change I change my mind.'

John Maynard Keynes

Shouldn't make such brazen statements to start with then ;)

Let's not pretend that she's doing this for anything other than her own gain thoguh

Edited by Matt

She's playing it smart, she knows there is nobody out there who can put up any sort of challenge, Corbin most definitely won't.

She wants everybody singing from the same hymn sheet so there is a smoother exit from brexit. I can see where she's coming from.

She's playing it smart, she knows there is nobody out there who can put up any sort of challenge, Corbin most definitely won't.

She wants everybody singing from the same hymn sheet so there is a smoother exit from brexit. I can see where she's coming from.

I agree on the smooth exit pov. A much bigger majority and she'll no longer be hostage of the far right wing of her party who demand hard brexit asap. She'll have freedom to compromise with other member states now and will only have to justify herself in 2022.

No opposition party is a definite bonus.

Does seem opportunistic though. the whole point of the Fixed-Term parliament act was to prevent PMs from calling a general election based on polls. Theresa May did just that.

Edited by holystove

There you go folks, if you want to remain in EU, vote for the Lib Dems and get another referendum.

If I could, I would. But, like Bill said, May has been very clever in her timing and planning - there's no chance the outcome is anything but a Conservative win

I've just been looking back at some of her u-turns/contradictions.

1- Gordon Brown has no democratic mandate after Tony Blair resigns. Takes over from Cameron...

2- Remain voter, Leave bulldozer

3- No early GE... Launches a GE

4- National insurance

5- Hinkley Point

That's after 5 minutes of google....

Almost everything in her first speech as well.

i don't get it. i thought your system she's prime minister already and continues to hold that position until the coalition in parliment dissolves, then new partnerships are created and a vote is taken then. has parliment dissolved? why hold an election when she's already PM?

because she wasn't voted in, she inherited the leadership once Cameron chickened out of his responsibilities

i don't get it. i thought your system she's prime minister already and continues to hold that position until the coalition in parliment dissolves, then new partnerships are created and a vote is taken then. has parliment dissolved? why hold an election when she's already PM?

Mark, the real reason is that,currently, she (the Conservatives) have a very small majority in the House of Commons. With Labour in such disarray, she is now confident that the Conservatives will win with a large majority. This will kill two birds with one stone. First, she will be voted in as PM. Second, she will have a large majority and therefore an ability to introduce policies without fear of being outvoted.

Mark, the real reason is that,currently, she (the Conservatives) have a very small majority in the House of Commons. With Labour in such disarray, she is now confident that the Conservatives will win with a large majority. This will kill two birds with one stone. First, she will be voted in as PM. Second, she will have a large majority and therefore an ability to introduce policies without fear of being outvoted.

Was about to post similar, she's doing it to strengthen her position and (sadly) it definitely will.